Thinking about moving to Boston?

ezcheese

Indeed they are! Craigslist Boston was quite illuminating. I do quite enjoy Charlotte but after two years here and living in Charleston prior, I do think I am happiest in older walkable cities. I am very spoiled down here though. I pay $550 a month for a small, older but decent apt in a great neighborhood in Charlotte. There are tradeoffs everywhere, so I am leaving at least 8 months to think things through and compare places. Other easier smaller options could be Asheville or Chapel Hill/Carrboro. Thanks for the info :D

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm entertaining the idea of moving up to Boston (pending employment of course) this June with two friends. We'll all be fresh out of school so income will be mediocre. What neighborhood would you recommend? My girlfriend lives in the North End but I don't think we could afford what they're getting for 3BRs there. Just looking for a safe neighborhood, steps to the T. Also, is it hard to find places for June? I noticed places being offered now, some don't free up until 9/1... One last question, is it worth going to an agent?

I'm entertaining the idea of moving up to Boston (pending employment of course) this June with two friends. We'll all be fresh out of school so income will be mediocre. What neighborhood would you recommend? My girlfriend lives in the North End but I don't think we could afford what they're getting for 3BRs there. Just looking for a safe neighborhood, steps to the T. Also, is it hard to find places for June? I noticed places being offered now, some don't free up until 9/1... One last question, is it worth going to an agent?

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of my high school friends have since gone to college, graduated and settled in Allston, Brighton or Somerville. I'd recommend any of them to someone fresh out of college, especially if you like walkable streets, good nightlife, and aren't expecting to live in something very new or fancy. As far as safety goes, it's a big city, so you watch where you're going. That being said, if an area is safe enough for Harvard students, it's probably safe enough for just about anybody. ;)

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm new to the board so hello to everyone! I live in NYC and received a job offer in Natick, Mass. I dont know anything about the area and would like to ask a few questions. I am a single mom with a 6 year old daughter who will be starting the 2nd grade in September. I'm looking for an area with reasonable rent and decent schools/neighborhoods. I would have to have my daughter in before school/after school care, does anyone know how much that usually costs per week? I will be driving so living next to the commuter rail will not be what I need. I pay 1100 now (doesnt include utilities) so I would like to keep it around that area if possible. Thanks for all your help in advance.

• 1 year later...

I'm moving from Minneapolis sometime in August. Right now I'm looking around Everett, Malden, Revere, and Lynn. Also Brockton. I want to live alone, so living in the city is probably out of the question. I'm leaving my car here in Minnesota so I need to live near the trains. From what I've seen, that's pretty much anywhere. :thumbsup:

The Boston area is brutally expensive. I don't know much about the North Shore, but I would assume most of the blue collar towns up there are cheaper than Boston proper and many other suburbs. Your blue collar towns are probably better bets to finding one bedroom apartments as well, outside of Boston proper.

The best I can say from experience up there on the North Shore is taking the Blue Line to Revere to go hang out at a nearby hotel and drink with some friends. So... at least Revere is on the Blue Line... easy access to Gov't Center and the rest of Boston. That area is also near the airport though, so the noise might not be fun.

Brockton... can't say much from experience there either. I however haven't heard much good of the place.

I'm moving from Minneapolis sometime in August. Right now I'm looking around Everett, Malden, Revere, and Lynn. Also Brockton. I want to live alone, so living in the city is probably out of the question. I'm leaving my car here in Minnesota so I need to live near the trains. From what I've seen, that's pretty much anywhere. :thumbsup:

Depending on your budget and space requirements, Brighton by Cleveland Circle is a beautiful part of Boston close to the green B, C, and D lines (the C and D are the fastest when commuting to Boston, assuming that is where your job is located. Where will you be working?). I lived there and loved it, though rents have surly increased since I was there. Still, it's worth a look. Drawbacks would be it's high numbers of college students (it's close to BC), and it being on the edge of city proper. Still, there is virtually no crime (one of the safest parts of Boston), and if you eventually do bring a car, there is abundant on-street parking and permits are free (as they are throughout Boston). For a nice one-bedroom I would expect to pay anywhere from $1,400 - $2,000/month. I lived in a very nice 2 bedroom for $1,400/month a couple years ago.. just have to search search search!

Where will your job be?

Edited by MPLS_9

I'm not sure what you already know about these cities, granted they are cheaper, but they are not especially nice. Everett fairly urban, but fairly run down. Both Lynn and Everett have fairly big gang problems right now, but Lynn also has a lot of renewal and renovation happening in its downtown, especially by the commuter rail station. Lynn also has a decent waterfront.

• 1 month later...

Quincy is definitely a good place to look. Revere and East Boston might be a bit of a culture shock for a midwesterner. I'd recommend Newton too, but for really car-free living Cleveland Circle, parts of Cambridge, some of the aforementioned areas in Dorchester... JP is probably headed out of a lot of people's price ranges, but worth checking out.

One good rule to stick by: if you want to live without a car, go where the students are. Very few have cars, and if you're near a college campus (well, I guess there's a college on every corner in this town) then there's likely plenty of other amenities nearby.

• 2 weeks later...

Lynn has a reputation which is largely no longer deserved. It is known as "Lynn, Lynn, the city of sin." Like most small cities around Boston, it has seen an influx of Bostonians escaping high prices in town and has gentrified (for better or worse) as a result.

If I were to move back to the Boston area, I would consider Lynn as an option. It has an urban downtown which is springing back to life (slowly), it also has some more leafy neighborhoods outside the downtown, and some craptacular stripmallie areas, the upside is you need not drive far for things like grocery stores or Kmart or the like.

Travel into the city is rather good for a city so far outside the core with frequent commuter rail and bus service into Boston. The main bus terminal is at the Commuter rail station so switching from the train to a bus to finish your journey is relatively painless. Outbound from Lynn on the Commuter Rail is Salem which has a nice downtown, Manchester-by-the-Sea which has a beach steps from the train station, and Gloucester which also has beach access near the station, and Rockport which is a quaint New England town, a nice day trip out of Lynn.

I don't know if you have a family or if schools are a concern, without looking up any stats, I'd guess that Lynn's schools aren't terrific.

If it turns out that Lynn isn't for you, I think you can find an area you like in one of the surrounding towns not too far from GE.

I don't know if you'd be working at River Works, but there is a station (on the Lynn Commuter Rail line) for GE employees at River Works.