Thinking about moving to Boston?

ezcheese

You should figure at a minimum 45 minutes to commute from Bradford into Boston at a minimum even in the best of conditions. At peak traffic times, your commute will be closer to 1 hour and 15 to 30 minutes. To get to Bradford, you have to travel I93 North which goes through the most congested freeway interchange in Mass which is I93 & I95. Then you have to take I93 to I495 over to Haverhill/Bradford.

Oil heat is more common in New England. Avoid any rental stock with electric heat. No matter what the potential landlord tells you, do not take a place with electric heat. Its just too expensive.

Good luck to you. It will be easier for you to make a decision once you are here and you can see the layout of everything. Then you will better understand how the towns and cities are laid out.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I do have a vehicle so I wouldn't see the use of the transit system. Unless you guys know something I don't???

Driving in and around Boston can be very miserable. You'd be best to live in a nice urban community (like Malden) where you can commute mostly by transit, and where you and your children can walk to most places (school, grocery store, etc.) But then yet, I don't have kids and realize that it would probably be tough to have three and not have a car to get them around in.

I didn't even consider Melrose, but I will. This is soooo hard. Bradford is 38 minutes to Malden according to mapquest. I don't know how the traffic would be during 8 and 9 am and 3 and 4 pm.

The landlord said the house is heated by oil. We don't have that in KY, its just electric or gas. The house is colonial style house with hard wood floors so I don't know how much his would cost in the winter.

And yes, as UrbanLifter mentioned, NO ELECTRIC HEAT!! My aunt has electric heat in her tiny one bedroom condo and in January it cost her over $300! Oil, although it would seem to be more expensive, isn't, especially in New England.

Thank all you guys sooooo much. You don't know that just couple of minutes it took you to type a post gives me so much info that is important to me.

See here in KY its the total oppostie, we only have gas and electric and people LOVE to rent or buy a house that is all electric because gas is too expensive. I would've went into apartment hunting blinded thinking that if it had electric heat, I would be ok.

I am so glad that I am the type to ask questions. :)

Yeah, that landlord told me only a 20 min communte from Bradford. But that is ok. You see because I don't have a lot of options being my financial situation so I will keep this prospect in mind when I move next weekend. You see I rather sacrafice an hour headache each morning and afternoon for a better, safer, and decent place to live.

I am used to rural. I'd think that too much "city" life would be the real culture shock.

Anyway, I will post back if I have other questions just to get your advice and I will definately post back when I get there during my search if I can access a library.

Oh... Just incase anyone wants to see the house, you can visit this link

Rental Property

What do you guys think? $1500 dollars a month + utlities

Ask the Realtor if he is taking the house off the market once he rents it to you. (The one in Bradford/Haverhill.) If he is not taking it off the market, then do you want to be interupted with people wanting to see the property possibly to purchase it?

It's something you need to know. My Question: If the landlord places the home into Sec 8, can he still continue to market the home to the public. The home is currently advertised for sale.

I suggest you invest some research into Mass Tentant Law.

See this link.

Mass Tenant & Landlord Law

Both tenants and landlords have specific rights and responsibilities in Mass.

Oh... Just incase anyone wants to see the house, you can visit this link

Rental Property

What do you guys think? $1500 dollars a month + utlities

Nice find! Seems like you're getting a good package for money. And a nice small lot so you won't have to go crazy with maintenance throughout the year. Good luck with the move and everything, keep us posted!

Thanks but like I said, I will continue to look. and when I get there, I will drive up to the house during the times of the day I will be traveling to see if it is something I could deal with.

I put an ad in CL and I have had another reply with a house in Stoneham. I am really excited about the move and hopefully this will a start to a good, healthy life for my family.

I will keep you guys posted and again, thanks soooooo much for your responses and advice.

God Bless

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I'm sure you've heard this question before, but...

I'm moving to Boston this summer or early fall, to do grad work at Harvard. I will be mostly living off student loans. I don't want to have a car, and I know most of Boston is accessable through transit. I know that Harvard is on the Red line. I know that Cambridge can be expensive. So...

Where should I live? (I know this question is outlawed in the rules and regs, but I thought I would ask it anyways :whistling: ) I'd like to live somewhere less expensive than Cambridge, but with one transfer or fewer using bus/subway/commuter rail.

Any suggestions?

Hello everyone,

I'm sure you've heard this question before, but...

I'm moving to Boston this summer or early fall, to do grad work at Harvard. I will be mostly living off student loans. I don't want to have a car, and I know most of Boston is accessable through transit. I know that Harvard is on the Red line. I know that Cambridge can be expensive. So...

Where should I live? (I know this question is outlawed in the rules and regs, but I thought I would ask it anyways :whistling: ) I'd like to live somewhere less expensive than Cambridge, but with one transfer or fewer using bus/subway/commuter rail.

Any suggestions?

Check out craigslist.com.

Hi everyone,

I'm a long-time lurker (great site, this) and finally decided to reveal myself. I have a dilemma, actually. Maybe you guys can help me with this.

I lived in Arlington for the past 3.5 years. Most recently, I lived in a 1200 square foot, very open, two-bed place in a not-totally-desirable corner of town, near the post office (though I did overlook the bike path). The rent was $1300 plus all utilities (heat and hot water were costing me $200 to $300 a month during the winter).

The place had tremendous potential, but I ended up having some serious noise problems: a combination of poor-to-nonexistent soundproofing and a rambunctious family of three (especially the 19-year-old son) directly above me.

I managed to get out of my lease, and decided to leave Arlington as well (I'm a single, 35-year-old guy so it's not the best environment for me). I found an amazing deal just outside Harvard square: a nice one-bed with dining room in a well-kept building (the same building as the Craigie Street Bistrot for those who know the area) in a spectacular location. The rent is "only" $1450 with heat and hot water included.

The thing is, there is noise. It's not enough to be considered a "problem." It's simply apartment noise: I can follow my next-door neighbor's phone conversations, I hear many if not all footfalls from upstairs and I'm occasionally awakened in the morning by the dogs downstairs. Unfortunately, though, I seem to have become very sensitive to this sort of thing.

So my question is: Is there any sort of living situation in Boston (let's say, Boston, Cambridge and parts of Somerville) where one can be more or less guaranteed quiet, for $1500 or less (with or without utilities)? I'm not as concerned about outside noise such as traffic as I am about noise coming from the other side of the wall/floor/ceiling. Also, while I'm unfortunately becoming accustomed to all the benefits of living in Harvard Square, I don't need to live in such a hip area.

As an example, I used to live in Austin and you could often find bungalow-type homes there. I very much doubt there are such things in the Boston area, but maybe there are. Also, I've looked at listings for various lofts in Cambridge and the North End, but are these going to be any better?

Or is it time for me to start thinking about leaving the area?

Thanks very much everyone.

Gary

Edited by vertigbo

Sounds like the problems you are mentioning aren't really unique to Boston, or any other city or neighborhood rather. Annoying neighbors and inadequate sound proofing could be problems anywhere. You should look for a place that is soundproofed. My apartment is and I can literally blast music in it, then go out into the hallway and not hear a thing.

I lived briefly in an apartment building on Winter Hill, Somerville. It was at a loud auto intersection and was annoyingly noisy when the windows were open. And there was a courtyard where sounds easily carried. But with the windows closed the outside noise was minimal. But there was virtually no noise from my fellow tenants. Someone would have to slam something in the apartment above me before I heard it. This was an older building and I don't think there there was anything very unique about it. There are probably many others like it in the area. Don't give up looking for what you want.

Thanks very much, guys. That's good to know.

I guess I was sort of naive about the the soundproofing thing when I moved into the place. It <i>seemed</i> like a solid building, and I didn't hear a peep when I looked at the apartment (on a Monday afternoon...). Is there a good way (or any way) to tell whether a place is going to be noisy before you actually move in? I've done some research on this, and apparently there are ratings or classification systems pertaining to how effective soundproofing is. But will realtors/property managers be able to speak to this? And even if so, can you really trust them and/or the ratings?

Or is it just down to luck and/or word of mouth?

Thanks very much, guys. That's good to know.

I guess I was sort of naive about the the soundproofing thing when I moved into the place. It <i>seemed</i> like a solid building, and I didn't hear a peep when I looked at the apartment (on a Monday afternoon...). Is there a good way (or any way) to tell whether a place is going to be noisy before you actually move in? I've done some research on this, and apparently there are ratings or classification systems pertaining to how effective soundproofing is. But will realtors/property managers be able to speak to this? And even if so, can you really trust them and/or the ratings?

Or is it just down to luck and/or word of mouth?

I'd simply just ask them, "is there any soundproofing here?", or if noise is a problem at all. Try and sneak it into the lease (though they'd probly just tell you to go screw). Or ask to see it on a Friday evening, that'll give you a good idea.

Thanks, Recchia. I asked the realtor if you could hear noise from upstairs and of course he said, no, he'd been there at night and heard nothing, and so on. It didn't occur to me at the time to ask specifically about soundproofing and to speak directly to the property managers. Now I know to do so, and to be more diligent about it generally.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I am finally here.

I know it has been some time but I just got comcast service to get online. Where did I end up??? Well I actually went against most advice and I ended up in Chelsea. This was due to time restraints and my living situation. But I am actually pleased.

Unlike from what I've seen from the rest of Chelsea, I lucked up big time! My neighborhood is nice and quiet. No gangs, no drugs, no one is standing out on the street or corner, just a lot of latinos. Its weird because I am african american and I have never been to a place where we are minority of another minority. I feel like I am in Puerto Rico, but we actually like it. My children are so amazed and curious of the diversity that Mass has to offer.

I am right off of route 1 North (which can be noisey if you have the windows open at night), but I love it. I am close to everything I need (doctors, market, stores, playgrounds). We have noticed that people (all races & sex) stare alot, so I am wondering if we look out of place.

The driving reminds me of Detroit or New York. I have lived in both places so I am used to the fast pace, unorganized driving, and horns.

I start school May 9th so I haven't really got a feel of the commute. My school is only 15 minutes away, but I am sure this isn't during rush hour. I checked MTBA and the bus will take an hour but drops me off right in front. The commuter rail coming from Chelsea is a few minutes shorter than the bus trip, but more expensive so I might just take the bus everyday to save on gas and keep my stress level to a min. lol. I mean it will cost me $39.60 a month to take the bus, this amount barely fills my tank and will damn sure not last a month.

I haven't made any friends yet, this is kind of a bummer because I am really would like to get out and explore my area but I am sure this will come in due time. Well that is about it. I want to thank you guys again for all your advice. I have learned alot just from the posts here.

Take care

Lesley

I'd suggest getting a commuter rail pass. Chelsea is Zone 1B which is only $44 a month. I think you'll find the commuter rail is more reliably ontime than the bus. Especially if you are within walking distance of the train station. And with that pass you can ride all buses and subways.

Being on that commuter rail line is great. Check out Gloucester & Rockport during the summer. You can also walk to the beach from the Manchester-by-the-Sea station. Just get off the train and walk down Beach Street.

Glad to hear you like your new neighborhood. Staring at people is just a New England thing. I think it's more us trying to figure out if we know you or not, no harm intended. Everybody thinks they know everyone (but the exact opposite is actually true).

• 2 weeks later...

Alright.....I have a job offer for a company located in Downtown Xing that I am inclined to take. I'm pretty familiar with Boston but have several question in particular about downtown.

My wife and I are interested in a loft so I have been checking out the Leather District.

I know this area is on the upswing, but is it safe at night for a woman to walk around alone?

We have two dogs, are there any parks or significant greenspace nearby?

Is there a grocery store withing walking distance? .

We have a kid in elementary school, what school would he go to (I'm really confused by the public school districts there)?

Thanks for any advice....opinions on other close in neighborhoods? South End, Charlestown? I would like Fenway or North End, but I think those might be getting too pricey....

Alright.....I have a job offer for a company located in Downtown Xing that I am inclined to take. I'm pretty familiar with Boston but have several question in particular about downtown.

My wife and I are interested in a loft so I have been checking out the Leather District.

I know this area is on the upswing, but is it safe at night for a woman to walk around alone?

We have two dogs, are there any parks or significant greenspace nearby?

Is there a grocery store withing walking distance? .

We have a kid in elementary school, what school would he go to (I'm really confused by the public school districts there)?

Thanks for any advice....opinions on other close in neighborhoods? South End, Charlestown? I would like Fenway or North End, but I think those might be getting too pricey....

Boston is in general a very safe city. The safety of the Leather District depends upon your level of tolerance and street smarts, if you've lived in other cities I think you and your wife would be comfortable with the level of safety in the L.D. If you or your wife have never lived in the heart of a city before, the L.D. might be a bit of culture shock and at least feel unsafe. It's not quite a 24-hour neighborhood yet, I think there are a few restaurants that are staying open later opening up, but the downtown area in general still shuts down after dark. Years ago when I lived there Downtown was an absolute ghost town after dark and on weekends, but more residents are moving there and it is changing quickly.

There is not really any significant greenspace in the immediate area. The Chinatown section of the Central Artery Greenway will be opening soon (it sits between the L.D. and Chinatown). But I think that will be more of a plaza and not so green (i.e. no grass for your dog). The nearest significant greenspace is Christopher Columbus Park on the waterfront between the Aquarium and the North End, but that is probably as near as the Common is too.

There's not really a grocery store nearby. I think there's an asian grocery south of Chinatown across the Pike, but that's a bit of a hike with groceries. You'll be able to find produce in Chinatown, but grocery items like laundry detergent and trashbags and the like will be hard to come by and probably expensive where you get them. There is a grocery store right next to the Porter Square T stop on the redline, so you could shop there and bring your gorceries home on the T (South Station is right next to the L.D. so that would be a one train ride). The closest grocery store I think is at Prudential Center. But that is a long walk, and there's no direct T connection to the L.D. There are delivery services and you could also do a big trip every few weeks and cab your groceries home, then fill in between trips by picking up food in the area, like in Chinatown.

I don't really know anything about the schools, no kids.

Check out Jamaica Plain. It's not right close in to the city, but is very urban, has green spaces, and will get you direct to Downtown Crossing on the orange line.

Cotuit.....that was great info thanks. We are planning on having one car between us, and maybe a Vespa, so we could make longer trips to the grocery store, but I would like the convenience of picking up paper towels at 10pm. The lack of Greenspace does concern me, as I'm not interested in walking 1/2 mile for my grass-spoiled dogs to find their "perfect" spot. I'll do some digging on that greenway stretch, but I may need to look elsewhere.....though I do admit being part of an emerging hood does have its appeal. I'll also check out Jamaica Plain and South End when I'm up there next weekend. Thanks again.

I would like the convenience of picking up paper towels at 10pm.

There probably is some sort of convenience store somewhere in Chinatown as that area has always been residential. Most of the convenience stores downtown though (north of the L.D.) you'll probably find close early as they mostly exist to serve office workers.

The far South End (which I refuse to call SoWa which is supposed to mean South of Washington) is more emerging than the traditional South End, areas around Tremont Street and north. The silver line bus runs down Washington and leads to Downtown Crossing. There are some lofts in the area which you might enjoy. The area is a bit more emerged than the L.D. or the Seaport area, and prices will reflect that. There's more greenspace in that area, and you'd be within walking distance of downtown (a long walk, but it would be nice to have that walking option when the weather is nice.) It also puts you near shopping (including groceries) in the Back Bay, though still a bit of a hike when you're carrying groceries. Look for places near Washington Street or Harrison Avenue. Areas east of Mass. Ave. will be better than areas west. Washington Street west of Mass. Ave. leads to Dudley Square which is one area of the city that has a persitent crime problem.