Ansonborough, Radcliffborough, French Quarter, etc

Spartan

peninsula.jpg

When you go to Charleston, you see these neighborhoods' signs attached to the street signs, but I have never actually seen a map of where these neighborhoods are. This is the first one I have ever seen. Is it accurate at all? It doesn't label all of them, so what are some others?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

peninsula.jpg

When you go to Charleston, you see these neighborhoods' signs attached to the street signs, but I have never actually seen a map of where these neighborhoods are. This is the first one I have ever seen. Is it accurate at all? It doesn't label all of them, so what are some others?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Keep in mind that some of these sections have the industrial areas such as the Columbus Terminal of the Port which is located in the far right lime-green section. The purple, brown, and pink sections next to Radcliffborough consist of medical complexes, riverview hotels, and municipal government complexes. They maybe neighborhoods because they do have some houses intermingled there, but I only know a few names. There is Cannonborough/Elliotborough is the only one that comes to mind. I think that's the one colored peach next to Wagener-Terrace.

I wasn't sure how common these names were, which is why I posted this. I have a friend who used to live in Radcliffborough, but he never called it that. I asked him what the signs ment and his reply was that it was parking districts. I don't know if that is accurate or not, but this information is very hard to come up with. Any thoughts on these neighborhoods or their use in Charleston would be appreciated :)

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure how common these names were, which is why I posted this. I have a friend who used to live in Radcliffborough, but he never called it that. I asked him what the signs ment and his reply was that it was parking districts. I don't know if that is accurate or not, but this information is very hard to come up with. Any thoughts on these neighborhoods or their use in Charleston would be appreciated :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

peninsula.jpg

yeah the purple/brown area directly above Radcliffeborough is the Cannonborough/Elliotborough neighborhood that basically includes MUSC, Cannon Street, Spring Street, Rutledge Avenue, and everything directly southwest of the crosstown.

The pink area above that, directly north of the crosstown is the Hampton Park. I cant think of the exact title at this moment but its Hampton something.

The pastel yellow area to the right of Hampton Park/Wagener Terrace is the North Central neighborhood. This is up King and Meeting Streets, further uptown, but still centrally located in the city. Id say the epicenter of this neighborhood is the Food Lion grocery store, Rivers Middle school, King Street Palace, if you know where that is.

From living there all my life the general consensus is that these are the "proper/official" names of the neighborhoods. I havent really ever heard anyone use them, but yet and still thats what they are.

Any other questions I'll be happy to answer. Hope that helps a bit.

Welcome to the forum L-Beware! Thanks for clarifying that some. I always thought it odd that this information is so hard to come accross.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Spartan, are you pretty familiar with the Rutledge Avenue/Spring Street area? If so I was wondering what you're impression of the area is. That particular area has been the first section of the city chosen for revitalization and the face of the area has really made significant changes within the past 3-5 years.

I remember many years ago reading the post and courier about the different neighborhoods of Charleston. I have this odd feeling that there might be more subdivison names than what that map says. I suspect that south of Calhoun St, especially around the battery. I belive West Ashley has different neighborhood names too like the city of Charleston does right?

The street signs rock in Charleston!

Hey Spartan, are you pretty familiar with the Rutledge Avenue/Spring Street area? If so I was wondering what you're impression of the area is. That particular area has been the first section of the city chosen for revitalization and the face of the area has really made significant changes within the past 3-5 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Vaguely. But I don't know enough about that particular area to comment on it.

Archived