Columbia to get a new firm

The_sandlapper

Main St. Columbia will be getting another shot in the arm it seems. 300 jobs are expected to hit main between now and the next five years through via an insurance firm. These new jobs will pay within the range of 50-100K. This is interesting because I didn't know Columbia was known for having a insurance buisiness "cluster". I guess something is going on there though because my disability insurance clam HQ is in Columbia (American Bankers Life Assurance), & I work for the University of Kentucky Hospital. It seems as though the city is starting to pan out like banking is to Charlotte, or credit cards are to Wilmington, DL. Kudos to Columbia! There is an article in the state. 300 new jobs

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is good news, but the first 150 jobs will really just replace jobs that left the same building. Insurance has been a staple of the Cola economy for years. Blue Cross and PMSC use to be the two big IT employers. Not to mention Colonial Life and Siebels Bruce. Of course PMSC is a shadow of it's former self and Siebels has gone by the wayside too hasn't it?

The Insurance industry is consolidating, similiar to banking, so over time the employment levels could rise or fall, depending on how Columbia companies fare in the fallout.

This is good news, but the first 150 jobs will really just replace jobs that left the same building.  Insurance has been a staple of the Cola economy for years.  Blue Cross and PMSC use to be the two big IT employers.  Not to mention Colonial Life and Siebels Bruce.  Of course PMSC is a shadow of it's former self and Siebels has gone by the wayside too hasn't it?

The Insurance industry is consolidating, similiar to banking, so over time the employment levels could rise or fall, depending on how Columbia companies fare in the fallout.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seibels Bruce is still in business, although it is not as healthy as it once was. Colonial is in good shape, though. They are the second largest (after Aflac) supplemental insurance company in the country.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Thats good news. I'm glad that Columbia has a reputation for something beyond state government and USC. It would be awesome if Columbia could get a major insurance national company to move downtown. It could do for Columbia what BofA did for Charlotte.

Archived