Your thoughts on Columbia

Looks like a loop to me  B)

Building any other kind of expressway loop would be redundant and a waste of land and taxpayer money.  The only place I see the potential for another expressway may be way on the north side of town to connect Irmo/Chapin to Northest Columbia or thereabouts. 

Beltline is a beltway; the city has just outgrown it to be used in the capacity you described.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right...it gives the impression of a loop. :P A map may show it that way, but driving it is a different story. If you look at the map, it shows that 277 could have been an actual inner loop. If they had it turning into Forest Drive, and going around that way, getting around the inner part of town would be easier. I guess what would help my driving experience is an interstate that actually goes right through or right by DT. Imagine if I-26 went directly through town and I-77 continued as the "loop" that I-26 provides.

I just remembered...it would help my commute if Northeast wasn't the insane version of urban sprawl. My fiancee and I were looking at houses up there, and there doesn't seem to be any end to constant building of new neighborhoods.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welp, you seem like a pretty good candidate for downtown living then. I adore the reverse commute, especially during the afternoon rush hour. I never get stuck in traffic. I can be any corner of the city in less than 20 minutes, and can choose where I need to go based on need rather than location.

Welp, you seem like a pretty good candidate for downtown living then.  I adore the reverse commute, especially during the afternoon rush hour.  I never get stuck in traffic.  I can be any corner of the city in less than 20 minutes, and can choose where I need to go based on need rather than location.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The reverse commute would be sweet! :thumbsup: What are the safest and newest places to live DT that involve maybe a townhome or house?

Beltline Blvd. is not a true beltway, IMO. A beltway should be an interstate expressway with certain exits that take you into different parts of the city. Beltline Blvd. is merely a street that goes around the southern and eastern parts with a tremendous amount of stoplights. The interstates of I-20, I-77, and I-26 may give the impression of a loop, but again, it is not a true loop. In order to get around the city, you have to drive far out of the way on one interstate before taking another direction. For instance, to get to Irmo or Lexington from where I live, you have to drive extremely far southeast before getting to I-26, then you have to get on that interchange and go northwest. The other "loop" is to drive excessively northeast on I-77 to get to I-20 before actually heading west.

A beltway or loop should make any distance in a city this size about a 20 minute drive. In fact, to get anywhere around Cola, GOING THE SPEED LIMIT of course,  :whistling:  takes approximately 30 minutes. If you go to other cities like Cola, you will see these types of beltways. Charleston and Greenville have them, as well as Augusta and Jacksonville (granted, Jax is bigger). Maybe SC 277 could have had its route changed from a I-77 connector to a beltway that starts on Bull Street going DT.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lets examine this. The cities you listed do not have a true beltway.

Here is Cola:

Columbia.gif

Now, compare that to Greenville and Charleston-

Greenville.gif

No beltway here at all. Anyone who lives in Greenville can tell you that 185 is a joke.

Charleston.gif

Considering Charleston's location on the sea, a semi beltway could be argued here. But its not a true "belt" in that it doesn't go around the city completely.

-And then Augusta and Jacksonville-

Augusta.gif

Beltway? 520 will eventually connect to 20 in SC, but it won't be a beltway.

Jacksonville.gif

This is the only city that actually has a beltway.

And just for comparison (and since we have mentioned it in this thread), Charlotte:

charlotte.gif

Their beltway is not complete yet.

It sounds to me like you want a throughway downtown. The only thing about the loop we have is that it sin't officially designated as such (eg I-426), but it serves the same function in that you can drive all the way around the city on the interstates.

I think that Columbia has been succussful becuase it didn't construct its loop downtown. There were plans in the 70s for a downtown loop very much like 277 in Charlotte. Becuase of this, people were forced to take the regular streets downtown, and I believe this is why Columbia didn't experience the same level of downtown decay as other cities (not to say it didn't experience any).

Building any other kind of expressway loop would be redundant and a waste of land and taxpayer money.  The only place I see the potential for another expressway may be way on the north side of town to connect Irmo/Chapin to Northest Columbia or thereabouts. 

Beltline is a beltway; the city has just outgrown it to be used in the capacity you described.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't that route being discussed? I seem to recall that it is.

I agree with Spartan. The only complaint I have with the interstate system around cola is the interchange from I-20 to I-26. This needs to be re-designed. I travel A LOT around town because of my job, and I think I-20, I-77, and I-26 function as a loop as well as in other city -- much better than most of those cities mentioned. Not only that, but the loop (maybe by accident and not design) has been "shaped" to fit much of growth of Columbia. No city has a loop that's PERFECTLY ROUND; get real. The interstates go where they need to. I-20 will dump you off very close to Lexington (exits 61 & 58). I-26 takes you out to Irmo and beyond. I-77 allows quick access to the ever-expanding NE. I-277 takes you straight downtown, as does I-126. There's even the new 12th-street extension connecting the south side of I-77 to Cayce, and ultimately downtown. With the exception of the I-26/20 interchange I mentioned earlier, Cola has an excellent interstate system (loop, whatever you want to call it) serving the city. Certainly a credit to Augusta, Charleston, Greenville, and even Charlotte (which isn't complete yet). Maybe they should name it something else like I-???. This is certainly NOT a week point of Columbia.

OK, Spartan, you may have a point with some of those examples. I guess a real "beltway" is not what I'm referring to. The semi-beltways of G'ville, Chas., Augusta, and Jax seem to be far more convenient and quicker than the pseudo-loop of Cola. I will disagree on G'ville's I-185. That was a beautiful toll road that helped me get to Atlanta quicker and get from G'ville to Greenwood quicker.

I guess I would prefer a freeway that gets to certain points in Cola quicker, a freeway through the city and not around it. SE Richland, where I live, seems so isolated when compared to the rest of the metro area.

OK, Spartan, you may have a point with some of those examples. I guess a real "beltway" is not what I'm referring to. The semi-beltways of G'ville, Chas., Augusta, and Jax seem to be far more convenient and quicker than the pseudo-loop of Cola. I will disagree on G'ville's I-185. That was a beautiful toll road that helped me get to Atlanta quicker and get from G'ville to Greenwood quicker.

I guess I would prefer a freeway that gets to certain points in Cola quicker, a freeway through the city and not around it. SE Richland, where I live, seems so isolated when compared to the rest of the metro area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I-185 serves that purpose well I suppose. I just don't want to pay $2 to drive on that road. I know that for the locals, it is by and large a useless road. Maybe we can get a Greenvillian's comment on that?

You do live in an isolated part of town. I-77 removed some of the isolation. I believe that if they were to build a downtown connecter from Lower Richland, that you would see the same sprawl down there that you see in the NE and Irmo today. Which amy or may not be a good thing.

You feel isolated because Columbia's metro is fairly large. You can't get from one place to another but so quickly. I'm sure Lexington and Irmo residents feel isolated from the NE, Fort Jackson, and Garner's Ferry Rd. I am out and about all over Columbia every week, and some of these areas are just too far apart -- essentially isolated from each other. This is another reason why downtown has so much potential. It should be a place that residents from Cayce, West Columbia, Lexington, Irmo, the NE, E, and Lower Richland/Hopkins can all go. You don't find too many Lexington residents going over to Garners Ferry Rd or the NE; the reverse is also true. Harbison is a place many go because of shopping. WE NEED MORE OF THAT DOWNTOWN!!! Otherwise Cola is going to sprawl even more and become more disjunct than it already is. Also, we need nice waterpark. Maybe we should start a thread.

There was a vote to build a waterpark out in Irmo but the residents turned it down. Yeah Columbia is spreading next time you travel down I-20 from Camden to Red Bank in Lexington Co. you can see how much the city is sprawling. Lexington, & Kershaw Counties will see the worst of it since they have been traditionally rural counties with low density. Columbia didn't get a high sprawl index like Greenville Spartanburg did because it is more of a central city infact I read an article that explained this about Columbia and other similar core cities as well. People tend to think of sprawl and think of rapid growth but that is not always the case, and the census shows this as well.

On teh transportation side of Columbia, its a pretty cool city, especially getting closer to downtown. The interstate system functions very well and are engineered very well, 10 cool points for SCDOT. Cola is an unusual city to have a formed " beltline " to utilize different interstates, i dont think any other city does that. Motorists in Cola are fairly good, at least they are going at least the speed limit or higher. I loved SC 277, that was a cool freeway which is then a boulevard then leads you to US 1 (Two Notch Road) in downtown. US 1 is Two Notch Road in downtown right? In my opinion, Cola could be even larger if US 1 was a freeway or four lanes from NC and/or I-95's routing came closer to Cola. Since it is served by I-77, I-20 and I-26.. it provides adequate transportation and brings in new people from all points (except Northeast-thats US 1). For the northeast, it puts Cola off the map by at least 100 miles from I-95 which makes the city a challenge to attract a lot of new growth however from the midwest, its I-77 all the way.

speaking on traffic...I find it hard to believe that you consider Columbia traffic worse that Charlestons. Daily I-26 and I-526 are backed up to vitual parking lots. Hwy17 in West Ashley and Mt Pleasant experience the same thing. Ashley Phosphate (also known as Ashley Frustrate) and Dorchester Rd in the North Area are regularly log jammed. It is for these reasons a half-cent sales taxes has been enacted to raise funds over a 25 year period to upgrade and build new roads. Rarely have I seen highway traffic come to stop (with I-26 at Harbison being the possible exception).

As far as Columbia in general, it is a city with some promise. There are adequate amenities as have been documented. I think what Columbia lacks most is a defining character or something that sets it apart. Without that, opportunity will bring people an quality of life will keep some, but Columbia will never become a destination or a place that draws people in.

On teh transportation side of Columbia, its a pretty cool city, especially getting closer to downtown. The interstate system functions very well and are engineered very well, 10 cool points for SCDOT. Cola is an unusual city to have a formed " beltline " to utilize different interstates, i dont think any other city does that. Motorists in Cola are fairly good, at least they are going at least the speed limit or higher. I loved SC 277, that was a cool freeway which is then a boulevard then leads you to US 1 (Two Notch Road) in downtown. US 1 is Two Notch Road in downtown right? In my opinion, Cola could be even larger if US 1 was a freeway or four lanes from NC and/or I-95's routing came closer to Cola. Since it is served by I-77, I-20 and I-26.. it provides adequate transportation and brings in new people from all points (except Northeast-thats US 1). For the northeast, it puts Cola off the map by at least 100 miles from I-95 which makes the city a challenge to attract a lot of new growth however from the midwest, its I-77 all the way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SC 277 actually somes into Bull St. downtown. Two Notch doesn't come into the area we consider downtown, though both roads will take you to the same general areas of town.

speaking on traffic...I find it hard to believe that you consider Columbia traffic worse that Charlestons.  Daily I-26 and I-526 are backed up to vitual parking lots.  Hwy17 in West Ashley and Mt Pleasant experience the same thing.  Ashley Phosphate (also known as Ashley Frustrate) and Dorchester Rd in the North Area are regularly log jammed.  It is for these reasons a half-cent sales taxes has been enacted to raise funds over a 25 year period to upgrade and build new roads.  Rarely have I seen highway traffic come to stop (with I-26 at Harbison being the possible exception).

As far as Columbia in general, it is a city with some promise.  There are adequate amenities as have been documented.  I think what Columbia lacks most is a defining character or something that sets it apart.  Without that,  opportunity will bring people an quality of life will keep some, but Columbia will never become a destination or a place that draws people in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On 26 it gets backed up particularly in the afternoon commute. They call the area around 126/26/20 malfunction junction. I have seen it backed up almost to downtown before... though that was a particularly bad day with a bad wreck. Overall Columbia has a very good traffic flow downtown. The suburban areas do not though.

I think Columbia has loads of things that set itself apart. I don't know how much time you've spent here, but it is not anywhere USA.

Well at least according to the census (2003) it has, and still is drawing people in. Three of the states top 10 fastest growing counties are in the Columbia metro, no other metro in the state can claim that, Charleston has two, Greenville has one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not saying the area isn't growing...it is growing quite well. But by and large people come for opportunity (ie job, school, etc), then diecide that they like it and decide to stay. I don't think there are alot of people saying "when I graduate, I am moving to Coumbia because its so....(fill in the blank)"

On 26 it gets backed up particularly in the afternoon commute. They call the area around 126/26/20 malfunction junction. I have seen it backed up almost to downtown before... though that was a particularly bad day with a bad wreck. Overall Columbia has a very good traffic flow downtown. The suburban areas do not though.

I think Columbia has loads of things that set itself apart. I don't know how much time you've spent here, but it is not anywhere USA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was born and raised in Columbia. I lived there for probably 25 years, and I will most likely return there some day.I used to leave my home in Greenview (near int of I-20 and N. Main) at 7:40 for my 8 am classes at USC and never had a problem. I live 4 miles from office in (North) Charleston,and it takes me 30 minutes to get to work. The other thing about Cola traffic is there are alternatives to the interstate. Due to rivers and wetland areas there are very few "back roads" you can take in Charleston, except maybe West Ashley area.

If someone asked you what Columbia is "known" for, what would be the response?

Several years ago I asked a friend about Columbia because at the time I had never been there. He remarked that it was like Raleigh , just that it was just like Raleigh 30 years ago. I would be curoius to see what Raleigh would be like today without RTP. Raleigh got lucky, right time, right place. The world has changed, I'm not sure the Research Triangle Park could attract the same companies today that it was able to do 25 or 30 years ago. Many communities think by creating a research park it will automatically bring the fame and fortune that has transformed the Triangle area. Mabey I'm a pessimist, but I do not think it will ever happen on that scale ever again.

Charleston native, I'm still waiting to hear exactly how Columbia is not similiar or comparable to Charlotte....LOL.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would say first of all Charlotte is much larger than Columbia. I lived in Charlotte for 5 years and never has anyone compared Charlotte and Columbia before. I would say that Columbia might be comparable to Little Rock or a larger Augusta. Yes Columbia has certain things that Charlotte has, but so does every other city. I;ve been to Columbia this past weekend and saw that there is progress but its not unlike progress I see all over the southeast. Columbia is just now starting to get is growth spurt where others have had it all awhile. Charlotte survives on finance and Columbia does not. Columbia will grow, but I would doubt that it will ever grow to the size Charlotte is today. Evidently Charlotte is not really that big of a city if you compared it with areas like Atlanta, Richmond or even Tampa.

Several years ago I asked a friend about Columbia because at the time I  had never been there.  He remarked that it was like Raleigh , just that it was just like Raleigh 30 years ago.  I would be curoius to see what Raleigh would be like today without RTP.  Raleigh got lucky,  right time,  right place.  The world has changed, I'm not sure the Research Triangle Park could attract the same companies today that it was able to do 25 or 30 years ago.  Many communities  think by creating a research park it will automatically bring the fame and fortune that has transformed  the Triangle area.  Mabey I'm a pessimist, but I do not think it will ever happen on that scale ever again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you have a valid point. I think Raleigh was the early bird that got the worm. Now every other state is try to replicate their success.

You really have to hand it to the NC legislature and Governors of the '50s and 60's. They laid the groundwork not only for RTP, but for NC (Charlotte) becoming the banking center that it is, and for allowing all of it's cities to maximize their growth potential by enacting very liberal annexation laws. Also, forming the UNC system (a consolidated university system), which SC desperately needs to do.

Pretty impressive considering that the legislature was controlled by rural interests at that time.

I firmly believe that if SC had been as progressive at the time, the two states would be at rough parity now.

I agree, I find it amazing that the NC legislature of the 1950's and 60's had the forsight to lay the groundwork to allow NC the ability to diversify its economy. Getting off topic, I remember back in the mid 70's when I grew up, there was little difference between Greensboro and Charlotte, and for that matter Columbia. Raleigh at the time was just the place where the state fair was held. I think all of the major cities of NC and SC are somewhat on the right track for economic and population growth but at varying degrees. When I think of Columbia, I can not associate it with any particular industry. I'm sure Columbia is nicer than other southern capitals such as Jackson, Tallahasee, Baton Rouge, and Montgomery, but those are the type of cities that I find myself grouping Columbia in. Nothing wrong with those cities, but I think most Columbia forumers aspire for more.

If someone asked you what Columbia is "known" for, what would be the response?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is Charlotte known for? Banks? Panthers? Woo. Its not what the city is known for that I am talking about. That doesn't "make" a city great. You take what ever it is in Charlotte that makes it a great place to live, and ask yourself, "can I do that in Columbia?" The answer will undoubtedly be "yes." I am not trying to say Columbia is better that Charlotte. I am simply saying that Columbia is an attractive place to live for all the reasons Charlotte is, with the only exception being it isn't a metro of 1.4 million (if that is an attractive thing to you).

I would say first of all Charlotte is much larger than Columbia.  I lived in Charlotte for 5 years and never has anyone compared Charlotte and Columbia before.  I would say that Columbia might be comparable to Little Rock or a larger Augusta.  Yes Columbia has certain things that Charlotte has, but so does every other city.  I;ve been to Columbia this past weekend and saw that there is progress but its not unlike progress I see all over the southeast.  Columbia is just now starting to get is growth spurt where others have had it all awhile.  Charlotte survives on finance and Columbia does not.  Columbia will grow, but I would doubt that it will ever grow to the size Charlotte is today.  Evidently Charlotte is not really that big of a city if you compared it with areas like Atlanta, Richmond or even Tampa.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe that Columbia evenutally will reach the size Charlotte is now. Obviuosly by that time, Charlotte will probably be on the verge of engulfing Columbia, but that is another issue.

Y'all need to realize that I am not saying "Columbia = Charlotte" but that Columbia is similar to it, and you can find many parallels between the two.

Exactly Spartan; I believe that we were speaking more along the lines of quality of life and entertainment and social options. In that regard, there is no major difference. And I would also say that more people don't really make a city feel like a city. Other than the skyline, I don't get too much of a "city" feel from Charlotte.

And I do believe that one day (in the not too distant future), Columbia will certainly get to be the size that Charlotte is today. I would imagine that by that time, the metropolitan influences of SC's "Big Three" would have signigificant geographical overlap. And then there may be a "South Charlotte, SC" to deal with........

[ I believe that Columbia evenutally will reach the size Charlotte is now. Obviuosly by that time, Charlotte will probably be on the verge of engulfing Columbia, but that is another issue.

That maybe true, Spartan but the same can be said for both Charleston and Greenville. All the cities in South Carolina are growing because of the migration of people to the southern states. Columbia has had bad PR which makes it not as known as the cities of Charleston and Myrtle Beach and Greenville because its on

the corridor between Charlotte and Atlanta. But to say that Columbia will eventually be the size of Charlotte is no big deal because eventually cities like I mentioned before will all become large areas. When I look at threads like this about Columbia I just chuckle because it seems as though people are trying to play Columbia up to be a big player that it really isn't. This is not to "down" the city, but com'on lets all be real South Carolina is small southern state with cmajor cities like Charleston, Columbia, North Charleston and Greenville all pretty much the same size. All are great cities but I wouldn't just play up Columbia. Columbia is a college town. Pretty much what makes up the city is USC, which is important but other than that its state government and nothing else. Its a nice place to live and all, but other than that its boring.

Archived