Your thoughts on Columbia

Columbia has had bad PR which makes it not as known as the cities of Charleston and Myrtle Beach and Greenville because its on the corridor between Charlotte and Atlanta.

Maybe I'm just a bit out of the loop on this one, but what type of bad PR has Columbia had, both historically and recently, which has affected it at least on a regional level?

When I look at threads like this about Columbia I just chuckle because it seems as though people are trying to play Columbia up to be a big player that it really isn't.
I don't see anyone on this forum attempting to make Columbia out to be something that it's not. If anything, I've seen a fair amount of constructive criticism about what the city needs to do in order to maximize its potential and take full advantage of its resources. This thread and others like it have largely focused on the future of the city in light of present-day developments. I bet some residents of midwestern, western, and northern cities "chuckled" when the citizens of Charlotte and the Triangle spoke similiarly concerning the potential futures of their cities 25 years ago.

This is not to "down" the city, but com'on lets all be real South Carolina is small southern state with cmajor cities like Charleston, Columbia, North Charleston and Greenville all pretty much the same size.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That maybe true, Spartan but the same can be said for both Charleston and Greenville.

All the cities in South Carolina are growing because of the migration of people to the southern states.  Columbia has had bad PR which makes it not as known as the cities of Charleston and Myrtle Beach and Greenville because its on

the corridor between Charlotte and Atlanta.  But to say that Columbia will eventually be the size of Charlotte is no big deal because eventually cities like I mentioned before will all become large areas.  When I look at threads like this about Columbia I just chuckle because it seems as though people are trying to play Columbia up to be a big player that it really isn't.  This is not to "down" the city, but com'on lets all be real South Carolina is small southern state with cmajor cities like Charleston, Columbia, North Charleston and Greenville all pretty much the same size.  All are great cities but I wouldn't just play up Columbia.  Columbia is a college town.  Pretty much what makes up the city is USC, which is important but other than that its state government and nothing else.  Its a nice place to live and all, but other than that its boring.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All that makes up charlotte is some tall banks and a pro football team. What else to they have up there?

USC is a major factor of what makes Columbia a great place. You absolutely cannot throw that out. That would be like saying "Charlotte is just banks and nothing else." What does that city have that makes it so great? What makes it better than Columbia? It can't be "just because its bigger."

Cola is a college town of sorts, but it is not your Athens, Clemson, Chapel Hill, etc. We have a much stronger business core than those types of cities. The city grew up with USC, not because of USC.

USC sports (and their venues) give people in Columbia entertainment options that very few cities can match. It certainly gives better options that Charlotte. Our venues and capacities can easily compare with Charlotte. Gamecock football has fans and attendence that many Pro teams would kill for.

Maybe I'm just a bit out of the loop on this one, but what type of bad PR has Columbia had, both historically and recently, which has affected it at least on a regional level?

I think he is talking about the Confederate flag thing, which is a valid point, though most locals know it doesn't reflect the area at all.

I don't think it is anyone's intention to make Columbia out to be "more than it is", I know those are not my seniments and I don't think it's anyone elses's either, but I could be wrong? I have no delusions that the sun revolves around Columbia, but it does have just as much to offer as similar sized cities. When I grew up in Columbia I used to think man I wished I didn't live in SC, "because this place sucks", "there nothing to do", "I'm missing out on so much". This was true to some extent. However as I got older and traveled the US more I realized that I really wasn't missing out on much, for the most part what I had experienced growing up in Columbia I could experience pretty much anyplace else, with exceptions of course (NY, ATL, Chicago, DC, Miami, etc.) but those are large cities, for the most part most mid-sized cities like Columbia, Charlseton, Greenville, & even beloved Charlotte (in its defense is a large mid-sized city) offer pretty much the same thing (ie I can shop at a mall, I can go to the movies, I can swin in a lake, I can ride my mtn. bike, I can go bar hopping or clubbing at night, I can watch quality college athletics, I can be proud of our skyline, I can drive in 6-8 lanes of interstate traffic, etc.) Columbia has a strong stable economy due largely to state govt., USC, SCANA, Blue Cross Blue Sheild, and the hospital system. I too think that any of the 3 SC metros can reach the population size of present day Charlotte, and I think it will be well within my lifetime. I'm proud of my city, and where I grew up! I'm happy to see all the progress it has made from the time I lived there until now. I am excitied about its future, and celebrate its accomplishments!

By the way Go USC 2005 NIT Champions!

Oh, well that was moreso bad PR for the entire state....but other than that....

Oh yeah, and don't forget about the Charlotte Bobcats, you left them out...LOL. I would also say the (minor league) Charlotte Knights, but they play in Fort Mill. B)

It always somewhat aggravates me when people say "all such-and-such city has is x, y, and z, besides that there's nothing else." Usually the x, y, and z is what makes the city distinct in the first place. Every city needs something upon which to capitalize. And usually it's those things which create secondary distinctive features of the city. I doubt whether Research Triangle Park would've taken off like it has had it not been for the university presence in the Triangle nor Raleigh's capital city status. Take away either of those factors, and that area would decay faster than carbon-14.

As far as traveling around Columbia, it is much easier than either Greenville or Charleston. Both of those cities only have 1 interstate and Columbia has 3. Columbia is the only city in the state you can make a complete circle around on freeways, although you do have to exit a couple of times to do it. Yes, Columbia could use better access to the river, but that is improving greatly. As far as Lake Murray, there are parks with beaches at both ends of the damn and many public boating access points. You may also rent boats for use on the lake. There is no beach, but the beach is only 2 hours away, as are the mountains. Even if you live in Charleston, how often do you actually go to the beach? If you had to drive an extra hour to get to the beach would you go there much less? Columbia is known for alot of things:

State Capital

Home of the state's premiere University and the best in college sports

Great entertainment venues

Lake Murray

3 rivers

World renowned zoo and botanical garden

Army's largest training post

Congaree National Park

Great Neighborhoods

Great interstate access

State Museum, etc.

No, Columbia is not a touristy area, but then I wouldn't want our economy based on the low paying jobs that tourism brings. Tourism should not be a basis for a state's economy.

Randy1, I would choose Columbia over Charlotte. USC is a lot of Columbia, but is that a problem? Let's see, you have the educational, cultural, and economic resources provided by the state's flagship research university. Hmmm... Sounds pretty bad to me. And of course, there is more to Columbia--state government and Fort Jackson. The city is probably still the primary financial services city in SC. I think Charlotte has some things going for it. It has the two huge banks along with Duke Power and some other companies. But at the end of the day, it has been hugely overinflated by an Atlanta-style booster mentality. While Columbia is overly dependent on government, that is probably more stable than being overly dependent on two banks. I mean its not like even Republicans really want to cut the size of government. It is very stable. Corporations are fickle. They come and go. They stay put and they relocate to other cities. Charlotte is really not that large in population. It's urbanized area population is only 775,000 or so (Atlanta's by comparison is 3,500,000). Columbia's urbanized area population is 420,000 or so (notice that this is a much larger population than the "just a college town" places like Athens GA). Charlotte's municipal population is large and it shows up well in city population rankings thanks to North Carolina's extremely liberal annexation laws. Much of the city proper is recenlty annexed outer suburban sprawl. By comparison, Atlanta has not annexed anything since 1952. Charlotte has a decent metropolitan area population thanks to its proximity to a number of old textile cities (Kannapolis, Gastonia, Rock Hill, etc.). While those outer cities are economically tied to Charlotte, I would not call them suburbs in the full sense of the term. It is more like a multi-nodal textile belt development. Take out the BofA tower and the Hearst tower (both very nice buildings might I add), and you have the skyline of city like Birmingham (although Birmingham has much better historic skyscrapers). While Charlotte's downtown is more lively than Columbia's downtown, it also has a sterile feeling to me. Part of this is its lack of much historic fabric. Charlotte really bulldozed everything historic downtown in its rush to build freeways and fortress-style office complexes. Columbia has much better historic resources downtown. My other issue with Charlotte is its social conservatism. The place is much more Bible Belty than Columbia. I was perplexed by the Christian Coalition style antics of the Mecklenburg County government a few years ago. Not overly impressive for a city which such an inflated opinion of itself. Heck, the play they got so upset about played without a problem in Columbia. The SC state flag is a legit issue, but it is an issue controlled by the state legislature and not local authorities. Mayor Coble of Columbia practically begged the state legislators to remove the flag. And then there is the lack of major university in Charlotte. Sorry, but UNC-Charlotte is NOT USC or UNC-Chapel Hill or NC State. Universities contribute greatly to the quality of life in a city. Lastly, Charlotte has a painfully obvious case of Atlanta envy, which may not be the most positive thing in the world. Not to mention that it has decades to go before it would ever by another Atlanta (at which time Atlanta would be another LA).

Personally, I don't see Charlotte as having a whole lot more to offer than Columbia either. In fact, the pro sports teams in Charlotte are largely considered amenitites for Columbia (only 90 miles away). I also think that Charlotte is without a real defining character. I was never trying to put Columbia down...I am a proud native of Columbia. My only point is that Columbia dosen't have that compelling draw, where people move to the area because they want to be there, then seek opportunity. It is usually that they move to the area for opportunity, then decide that it is a great place and decide to stay. I think the coastal areas certainly have that draw, and to a lesser extent the mountain areas.

That said, I think Cola is nice place to live, and as I said earlier, I will probably move back to Columbia eventually.

Man... You guys know I love Columbia, but I also think Charlotte is pretty awesome.  The thing I'm most envious of about Charlotte is all their great opportunities for urban living. I realize it's developing, but Columbia needs more of this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, I understand the love of your home, because I have it myself, but sometimes I feel that many people can completely look over the negatives of a city. That feels like what's being done here. Nobody has addressed the issue of crime in Cola. That is one of the reasons I haven't enjoyed Cola as much. Again, the crime rate in Cola is as bad as Atlanta's. I believe Charlotte's is actually less, which says something to earlier posts in here about why I think Charlotte is different from this city. Other differences of Charlotte from Columbia: far more entertainment (Jilian's does not compare to Dave and Busters; has a huge amusement park in Carowinds), more diversity in shops, far more elegant local restaurants (Cola seems to love delis, but not sit-down places offering exquisite dining such as seafood), professional sports, and more vacation-type hotels.

I understand your reactions to my earlier posts, but I have to disagree with some of them. Some people have said that traffic is worse in Charleston...I couldn't disagree more. Back in my hometown, the ONLY bad places are US 17 in Mt. Pleasant and West Ashley, Ashley Phosphate Road, and I-26 from DT to I-526. Cola has far more congested areas, which is truly surprising for its size and additional number of roads and interstates. Let me list a few: Malfunction Junction, Garner's Ferry Road, Devine and Harden, Gervais and Huger (which leads to I-126), HARBISON (unbelievable!), and Two Notch. You cannot deny these places being terrible in congestion. Also, another problem that drives me insane is the amount of traffic lights around the city and their poor timing sequence. Talk about redundancy...EVERY intersection has a traffic light...which SLOWS traffic down and creates MORE traffic.

What I find puzzling is that many people here think that Columbia is this urban paradise with little problems, yet I witness these problems everyday. I do love my hometown, but I will acknowledge that it has several problems that it needs to overcome.

Take out the BofA tower and the Hearst tower (both very nice buildings might I add), and you have the skyline of city like Birmingham (although Birmingham has much better historic skyscrapers). While Charlotte's downtown is more lively than Columbia's downtown, it also has a sterile feeling to me. Part of this is its lack of much historic fabric. Charlotte really bulldozed everything historic downtown in its rush to build freeways and fortress-style office complexes. Columbia has much better historic resources downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

UrbanSoutherner, I find your posts to be very interesting, informative, and objective. I agree with everything in your post, but particularly with the above.

My biggest complaint about Charlotte has been it's near-total disregard to preserve any historic sites or buildings. Their Downtown (or is it called Uptown this year?) definitely suffers from the absence of new and old blended together, that you see in other downtowns.

Charlotte also has it share of bad architecture. The Duke Power and Arlington building (I refer to it as the Pink Flamingo) probably take the prize for worst element in the skyline. I also think the Westin will not age well.

Lastly, whoever let all those crappy '70's contemporary houses go up in Fourth Ward should be tarred and feathered. That neighborhood could have been so much nicer if the preexisting historic elements had been respected.

...I think Columbia has loads of things that set itself apart. I don't know how much time you've spent here, but it is not anywhere USA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Keep in mind that I do not think Columbia is Anywhere USA. But I do not see the explanation for what makes the city "great". I will say this, the only appeal I do see is that real estate here is cheaper than my hometown, Atlanta, Greenville, or Charlotte. Therefore, you can obtain more land for the dollar and developing areas is easier here because of that.

Again, one of my biggest concerns is that I do not feel safe here in Cola and neither does my fiancee. I was running around DT from the YMCA and decided to run to Finlay Park (I think that's its name), and when I got there, I saw nothing but shady characters there. Other streets DT have them as well...so I try not to run anywhere except USC and the Vista at night. I have had my wallet stolen and somebody was held up and carjacked at my apartment complex in broad daylight.

Law enforcement in this city needs to step up. I would feel safer if they hired more officers and patrolled more.

I think Charlotte has some things going for it. It has the two huge banks along with Duke Power and some other companies. But at the end of the day, it has been hugely overinflated by an Atlanta-style booster mentality. While Columbia is overly dependent on government, that is probably more stable than being overly dependent on two banks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is this really a valid arguement? The two banks only make up roughly 7% of Mecklenburg county's workforce. Sure they play a vital role in the city, but if they were to leave I don't think the city would collapse. Saying Charlotte is overly depentent on banking is like saying Houston is overly dependent on energy.(Analogies could be made for pratically any city).

As far as the boosterism, I think it is important for a city, especially for the fast growing markets of the south. Selling yourself is a key part of doing business today. (Could you get a job without selling yourself?) Without boosterism, would Atlanta have hosted any Superbowls, Final Fours, or even the Olympics? Any exposure a city can provide for itself could play a role in generating more businesses opening up offices or even relocating to that city.

I would agree that mistakes have been made in planning dt Charlotte such as destroying historic buildings. Hopefully the city leaders have learned from this and will implement guidelines to encourage more street level interaction.

Reading through this thread, I wonder why a comparison between Columbia and Charlotte was even brought up. Columbia is a fine city that can stand up on its own merits.

You know, I understand the love of your home, because I have it myself, but sometimes I feel that many people can completely look over the negatives of a city. That feels like what's being done here. Nobody has addressed the issue of crime in Cola. That is one of the reasons I haven't enjoyed Cola as much. Again, the crime rate in Cola is as bad as Atlanta's. I believe Charlotte's is actually less, which says something to earlier posts in here about why I think Charlotte is different from this city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As for crime, you claim that crime is as bad as Atlanta without quantifying it. What kind of crime? Violent, property? Per capita, gross? Take a look at the 25 most dangerous metro areas as measured by Morgan Quitno's 11th annual rankings:

http://www.morganquitno.com/cit05pop.htm

OVERALL (320 METROPOLITAN AREAS):

1 Detroit-Livonia-Dearborn, MI M.D.

2 Memphis, TN-MS-AR

3 Sumter, SC

4 Fairbanks, AK

5 New Orleans, LA

6 Miami-Dade County, FL M.D.

7 Myrtle Beach, SC

8 Las Vegas-Paradise, NV

9 Victoria, TX

10 Florence, SC

11 Stockton, CA

12 Shreveport-Bossier City, LA

13 Pine Bluff, AR

14 Lafayette, LA

15 Jackson, MS

16 Saginaw, MI

17 Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ

18 Tucson, AZ

19 Los Angeles County, CA

20 Baltimore-Towson, MD

21 Albuquerque, NM

22 Vineland, NJ

23 Montgomery, AL

24 Little Rock, AR

25 Charleston-North Charleston, SC

While I'm alarmed that so many SC cities made this particular list, Columbia didn't. Does that mean that I don't think crime is a problem? No, there are criminal hotspots sprinkled all over the city, and I'd love to see Columbia step up and take care of them. But this also illustrates that your perception may not be indicative of the city as a whole.

The point is that you can't lump a city's defining characteristics or most outstanding features and throw them out.

I don't think anyone is trying to claim Columbia is the perfect urban haven or anything like that. It does have a quality of life that you won't find in other cities this size.

2000 numbers from the experts on such things -- the US Census Bureau:

Atlanta

Urbanized Area: 3,499,840

Metropolitan Statistical Area: 4,247,981

% growth 1990 to 2000: 38.4

Tampa

Urbanized Area: 2,062,339

Metropolitan Statistical Area: 2,395,997

% growth 1990 to 2000: 15.9

Charlotte

Urbanized Area: 758,927

Metropolitan Statistical Area: 1,330,448

% growth 1990 to 2000: 29.8

Richmond

Urbanized Area: 818,836

Metropolitan Statistical Area: 1,096,957

% growth 1990 to 2000: 15.6

Randy1, I would choose Columbia over Charlotte. USC is a lot of Columbia, but is that a problem? Let's see, you have the educational, cultural, and economic resources provided by the state's flagship research university. Hmmm... Sounds pretty bad to me. And of course, there is more to Columbia--state government and Fort Jackson. The city is probably still the primary financial services city in SC. I think Charlotte has some things going for it. It has the two huge banks along with Duke Power and some other companies. But at the end of the day, it has been hugely overinflated by an Atlanta-style booster mentality. While Columbia is overly dependent on government, that is probably more stable than being overly dependent on two banks. I mean its not like even Republicans really want to cut the size of government. It is very stable. Corporations are fickle. They come and go. They stay put and they relocate to other cities. Charlotte is really not that large in population. It's urbanized area population is only 775,000 or so (Atlanta's by comparison is 3,500,000). Columbia's urbanized area population is 420,000 or so (notice that this is a much larger population than the "just a college town" places like Athens GA). Charlotte's municipal population is large and it shows up well in city population rankings thanks to North Carolina's extremely liberal annexation laws. Much of the city proper is recenlty annexed outer suburban sprawl. By comparison, Atlanta has not annexed anything since 1952. Charlotte has a decent metropolitan area population thanks to its proximity to a number of old textile cities (Kannapolis, Gastonia, Rock Hill, etc.). While those outer cities are economically tied to Charlotte, I would not call them suburbs in the full sense of the term. It is more like a multi-nodal textile belt development. Take out the BofA tower and the Hearst tower (both very nice buildings might I add), and you have the skyline of city like Birmingham (although Birmingham has much better historic skyscrapers). While Charlotte's downtown is more lively than Columbia's downtown, it also has a sterile feeling to me. Part of this is its lack of much historic fabric. Charlotte really bulldozed everything historic downtown in its rush to build freeways and fortress-style office complexes. Columbia has much better historic resources downtown. My other issue with Charlotte is its social conservatism. The place is much more Bible Belty than Columbia. I was perplexed by the Christian Coalition style antics of the Mecklenburg County government a few years ago. Not overly impressive for a city which such an inflated opinion of itself. Heck, the play they got so upset about played without a problem in Columbia. The SC state flag is a legit issue, but it is an issue controlled by the state legislature and not local authorities. Mayor Coble of Columbia practically begged the state legislators to remove the flag. And then there is the lack of major university in Charlotte. Sorry, but UNC-Charlotte is NOT USC or UNC-Chapel Hill or NC State. Universities contribute greatly to the quality of life in a city. Lastly, Charlotte has a painfully obvious case of Atlanta envy, which may not be the most positive thing in the world. Not to mention that it has decades to go before it would ever by another Atlanta (at which time Atlanta would be another LA).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok this if funny...now UNC-CHARLOTTE isn't a major school.....lol....OK WHATEVER NO IT isn't USC OR UNCCHAP.....OR NCSTATE but what college is the same...Columbia is basically a real city and where it is now because of college....woopy doo..thats something to make your city great while Charlotte is a major city because of banking(which sees to be the only reason alot of you all think Charlotte is here )and much more...alot of the shopping oppurtunites you have in Charlotte, Columbia def. doesn't have...there are alot of upscale clothing and various styles of clothing not only in the south park mall but all over the city in diferent stores and boutiques...and to say that Charlotte is much more bible belt than Columbia is def. a stupid comment....I would say thats the majority of Charlotte is very open minded and has the so what kind of attitude with the exceptions of the older citizens and people who are not use to change but i'm through with this thread because Charlotte is on A WHOLE different level than richmond or columbia and thats just a fact..and the comparison with ATL METRO AND CLT...well compare clt city pop to atl city pop...and what do u get ....so there is no point........

there are plenty things in Charlotte you can't find in Columbia......

Like what?

you guys display always seem to go down ..lol.....now someone put 1.4 million...come on it is alot  more people here than that....lol......I checked with the Charlotte's city guide and it has 2 million metro and  I have a friend on the city council and he confirms that it is  very much 2 million and that seems to be correct...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Charlotte MSA- 1,499,293 (Census 2000)

The CSA might be 2 million, but that is a different story.

2000 numbers from the experts on such things -- the US Census Bureau:

Atlanta

Urbanized Area:  3,499,840 

Metropolitan Statistical Area:  4,247,981

% growth 1990 to 2000:  38.4

Tampa

Urbanized Area:  2,062,339

Metropolitan Statistical Area:  2,395,997

% growth 1990 to 2000:  15.9

Charlotte

Urbanized Area:  758,927

Metropolitan Statistical Area:  1,330,448

% growth 1990 to 2000: 29.8

Richmond

Urbanized Area:  818,836

Metropolitan Statistical Area:  1,096,957

% growth 1990 to 2000:  15.6

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is now the year of 2005 and while alot of cities have grown Charlotte has grown much faster...and i'm sure the city has more knowledge of how many citizens there are in their area but I could be wrong...lol....

Like what?

Charlotte MSA- 1,499,293 (Census 2000)

The CSA might be 2 million, but that is a different story.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LIKE WHAT....there are many more dining out options, more diverse clubs and nightlife, different games to go to whtere its major or minor, much better shopping options, much better downtown nightlife and living,very in the now...(new york spotlight unlike columbia),better growth ideas and actions and better transportation oppurtunites...and that should be enough and as far as the pop goes IT IS DEF. CLOSE TO OR IF NOT 2 MILLION IN THE METRO MSA...no matter what anyone says..before I even moved here Charlotte was said to have 2million plus metro but anyways that isn't worth my time ..Charlotte vs Columbia....

This is now the year of 2005 and while alot of cities have grown Charlotte has grown much faster...and  i'm sure the city has more knowledge of how many citizens there are in their area but I could be wrong...lol....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So, Charlotte has gained 600,000 people in the last 5 years (2,000,000 - 1,400,000)? Wow! That is pretty impressive. And your little city councilman knows more about counting people than the professional statisticians and demographers at the US Census Bureau. Again, wow! What a city!

I have already said that. Charlotte is a larger city and will obviuosly have more restaurant and shopping options. To me, that is not a concern.

Columbia has an active nightlife, and 2 strong entertainment districts with several other small ones that.

We have downtown living. Yeah its not a big 53 storey penthouse thing, but if you want to live downown, it is very much an option.

Charlotte does have a better transit system. I am envious of its LRT plans.

So, Charlotte has gained 600,000 people in the last 5 years (2,000,000 - 1,400,000)? Wow! That is pretty impressive. And your little city councilman knows more about counting people than the professional statisticians and demographers at the US Census Bureau. Again, wow! What a city!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Urbansoutherner you evidently have envy against Charlotte but like I said Columbia is great and i have family there but to say it's on the same level as Charlotte is just ignorant...but in defense of Columbia I think it will be he next booming city in the south along with Greenville....

Urbansoutherner you evidently have envy against Charlotte but like I said Columbia is great and i have family there but to say it's on the same level as Charlotte is just ignorant...but in defense of Columbia I think it will be he next booming city in the south along with Greenville....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I live in Atlanta. Trust me, I have NO envy of Charlotte.

Archived