Where

Duval1790

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps I am a bit partial, but I voted for Jacksonville. Simply for the diversity, great beaches, urban revitalization, great urban neighborhoods, and (i can't believe i'm saying this but...) new, well planned suburban mix-use areas, and local activities. Tampa would be a close second, followed by Miami, then Orlando. (Why is Miami excluded?).

Miami is usually always excluded for city vs. city posts mainly because there really is no other comparison in Florida to Miami metro area; population size, cultural/sports opportunities, good education & transit system, etc. Miami is a true Urban City.

I chose Orlando, cuz I live here. That's the problem with these threads, too much bickering back and forth. Everyone will be biased to their hometowns/current city of residence. Why else would they choose to live there if they didn't already like it? I'm totally avoiding the "Tampa vs. Orlando" thread for that reason.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I notice the best city didn't make the list so I'll go ahead and throw it out there...

Tallahassee...

quality of life is excellent, schools are great, people are friendly, natural beauty is unparalleled, and you can still travel to those other places when you want a change of scenery.

Yup... I'm livin' the good life.

i assume you are excluding mia from the list bc you think it is hands down the best place to live, but let me tell you this, if you want to raise a family, it most certainly is not. of all the places in florida, mia and orlando are the last places i would want to live in. The Tampa area seems nice, but confusing, but if you want to live in florida but live in an old and established typical american neighborhood, then Jacksonville has several of them. you don't have to put up with so many tourists, traffic isnt terrible if you dont live in the burbs, and there is actually plenty to do.

Obviously, if you are young, into clubbing, maybe are Hispanic, then south fl or orlando are two good places to live.

well for the list I would choose Orlando....

Oh and for this beach discussion, try the Panhandle....The sand in Clearwater and St Pete is light beige compared to the sugar white sands of Ft Walton-Destin, Navarre and Pensacola Beach. That and with our emerald green waters is why we have the beach thing LOCKED for the state...hehe..

I like the Tampa Bay area, mainly because I grew up there and feel most connected to it.

Putting that bias aside, it's a decent place to be young and single, a great place to raise a family, and a nice place to retire in. I like how its three major centers each has a different character but they all reflect the area's overall character. If only each place was more accessible i.e. if only there was a train system to get around it would be significantly more attractive.

Orlando is growing on me, though. I like the youthful energy and the progressive feel of it. It's not there yet, but it it gives me the feeling of a metro that's going somewhere. It's also a hot area for professionals in my field -- urban planning and design.

I've enjoyed all my visits to the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area, but nothing really compells me to want to live there. Maybe it's the lack of trees. LOL.

Jacksonville has that "big southern country town" feel to me, even though it's a city. Some people like that, but I've never been attracted to it. I might have a different opinion of it 5 years from now with the way it's developing, though.

My opinon on all of the following cities mentioned I think Tampa, is the best major city listed here with it's theme parks, beaches, nightlife, and much more to do than JAX and Ft. Lauderdale, plus we're only 1 hr. from Orlando, so we have many benefits from them but I think Tampa is the 2nd-3rd best major city in Florida!

Jacksonville, hands down. I'm in agreement with just about everything simms3 said. For quality of life, proximity to many historic and interesting places (Charleston, Savannah, St. Augustine, Space Coast, Disney, and Universal), big city amenities with small town friendliness, and an affordable place to live near the water, Jax is the place to be. I've said it once, I'll say it again: I hope to move with my wife to Jax soon after I get my masters. I'd like to go to my hometown, but I just can't with my family living there!

I really like that Tally logo.

Orlando, unless you need the ocean. But I'm talking the city proper.

You have everything here. I've been to other cities that have the same crap in common that Orlando also has, but they don't have the good stuff that Orlando has on top of the bad.

Archived