Charlotte School of Law

UptownGrrl

FYI, they're announcing their dean tomorrow! Once that happens, they will begin their public announcements as to location, etc. I can't wait!

Stay tuned...

Well, we finally have our dean! Dr. Eugene Clark, from Australia. Here is what the Observer wrote about him.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/13355685.htm

I think he will be a wonderful fit for the school and it's students because he holds many degrees in both the US and Australia, has an international perspective (and much experience) on law and legal education, and is very personable to boot.

It is a wise choice to introduce an international element to Charlotte's first law school, because we are a growing city whose businesses and banks are expanding into the world market, not to mention the influx of people from around the world.

• 4 months later...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since someone bumped this thread I figured I would chime in a little here. As far as other schools joining CSL to offer law programs it looks as though UNCC will be the next school to do so. Here at Queens there was so much internal political strife (as you have with many small liberal arts colleges) they kinda missed their most opportune moment to get into the law field. While the plan remains for Queens to develop a law program, it looks as though it won't happen for some time. Queens also just started their MBA program and they have been full steam ahead with that because they want to get into the market before Wake Forest's MBA program comes to town. You may have seen all the adverts popping up all over town for the McColl Graduate School of Business.

Just a quick note: There also seems to be a growing concern about how many schools there are for the area. When you think about it there is Queens, Johnson & Wales, UNCC, CPCC, CSL, Kings College, Pfeiffer, Davidson, Johnson C. Smith University, and if you go just outside of the immediate Charlotte area you also have Wingate and Winthrop.

WF is already in town, it is at Morrocroft. But they will be very prominent once at Trade and Stonewall.

I'm surprised to hear Queen's won't be pursuing Law for years. I hope that doesn't jeopardize the land swap to give Queen's controll of the old federal courthouse at Mint and Trade. That might be a good place, though.

Too bad they tore down the old school building at College and Phifer. That one was beautiful.

Queens also just started their MBA program and they have been full steam ahead with that because they want to get into the market before Wake Forest's MBA program comes to town. You may have seen all the adverts popping up all over town for the McColl Graduate School of Business.

Wake is here - behind the Harris Teeter over in Morrocroft. They're just ungodly expensive.

(I chose UNCC becuase it was uptown, right? :D )

Just a quick note: There also seems to be a growing concern about how many schools there are for the area. When you think about it there is Queens, Johnson & Wales, UNCC, CPCC, CSL, Kings College, Pfeiffer, Davidson, Johnson C. Smith University, and if you go just outside of the immediate Charlotte area you also have Wingate and Winthrop.

Really? I don't think there could be too many schools - the population of NC has grown at least a little more than projected during the last couple decades, and all schools pull in out of state students - the schools in Charlotte will not lack students. It would be great to see one of these schools establish a med school, and/or see another (beyond UNCC) aggressively establish itself as a research U.

Is this a concern of the people at Queens or something else?

Queens also just started their MBA program and they have been full steam ahead with that because they want to get into the market before Wake Forest's MBA program comes to town. You may have seen all the adverts popping up all over town for the McColl Graduate School of Business.

Queens' MBA program has been around since 1980.

Since someone bumped this thread I figured I would chime in a little here. As far as other schools joining CSL to offer law programs it looks as though UNCC will be the next school to do so. Here at Queens there was so much internal political strife (as you have with many small liberal arts colleges) they kinda missed their most opportune moment to get into the law field. While the plan remains for Queens to develop a law program, it looks as though it won't happen for some time.

The feasibility of establishing a law school from scratch was studied in great detail. I'm not sure that there was much "political strife" involved, but the decision of the president and board of trustees was to make it a long-term goal, rather than divert resources from more immediate projects such as renovating or rebuilding the oldest residence halls and the construction of a new science building. These projects should take place over the next few years. If I remember correctly, the option to acquire the federal courthouse would not be available until 2012 anyway. Whether or not a law school is created, the building could still be used as a satellite campus for existing graduate and continuing education programs.

I know someone who's going to be a professor at the CSL. When are they announcing the location of the school officially?

Hi ElricSeven and everyone~ time for me to weigh in...

One of the attorneys from my firm is going to be one of the professors as well...could it be we know the same person? ;)

Here's what is known so far:

1. School starts Aug 21 (orientation); classes begin Aug 28

2. The school will be in a temporary uptown location for the first 2 years, while they are building a permanent facility

3. They are hoping to be in the temporary facility by July 1

4. All the starting faculty has been hired, and they have extended an offer to their law librarian

If anyone is interested, the school holds monthly informational meetings on the Third Thursday of every month, from 6-7:30. Last night, it was at the Public Library uptown, and I expect it will stay there.

That's all I can remember for now...

The feasibility of establishing a law school from scratch was studied in great detail. I'm not sure that there was much "political strife" involved, but the decision of the president and board of trustees was to make it a long-term goal, rather than divert resources from more immediate projects such as renovating or rebuilding the oldest residence halls and the construction of a new science building. These projects should take place over the next few years. If I remember correctly, the option to acquire the federal courthouse would not be available until 2012 anyway. Whether or not a law school is created, the building could still be used as a satellite campus for existing graduate and continuing education programs.

With the federal courthouse, the school has an option to lease starting in 2007, but I don't think that is set in stone. Right now I believe the courthouse has an extensive records library that is staffed by Queens. Monday I will find out what exactly the deal is regarding the building.

• 1 month later...

2. The school will be in a temporary uptown location for the first 2 years, while they are building a permanent facility...

WSOC has announced this school will be located in Dilworth on Morehead in a former law office, Austin and Byrd. (or something like that)

WSOC has announced this school will be located in Dilworth on Morehead in a former law office, Austin and Byrd. (or something like that)

it is the former home of Alston & Bird and there are lots of pictures of the interior and exterior of the school, as well as the history of the building at CharlotteLaw's website: www.charlottelaw.org

Needless to say, I am very happy with their choice of building and am looking forward to starting law school on August 28th!

it is the former home of Alston & Bird and there are lots of pictures of the interior and exterior of the school, as well as the history of the building at CharlotteLaw's website: www.charlottelaw.org

Needless to say, I am very happy with their choice of building and am looking forward to starting law school on August 28th!

Good luck! I take the LSAT Monday of next week. The anxiety is already building!

I think it is funny that they say most important of all, it has free parking. Not sure how that's most important, but it is a nice amenity to have. That's a really nice building also, especially the grand staircase in the entrance.

• 1 year later...

Archived