If you were mayor

vdogg

If you were mayor, or if you had control over the direction that our cities take, how would you plan our region. What steps would you take to improve our image and how would you plan development in our cities. I've always been interested to know how people think this area should be run. You don't necessarily have to talk about Hampton Roads, you could concentrate on a particular city if you like.

As far as Virginia Beach, the first thing i would do is start buying land and right of ways for future transit systems (and i'm not talking BRT i'm talking about LRT, you know, real transit ;) ). I would absolutely have to address the affordable housing issue. While upscale and dense development is welcomed, we need to make sure that people on a fixed or lower income aren't completely priced out of the city. I would have to get rid of Oceana. I know i'm gonna take some flak for this one but i really think it's necessary in order for Virginia Beach to become the city i know it can be. The new zoning regulations that the military is proposing are draconian and they will stifle development at the oceanfront, which in turn will stifle development elsewhere in the city because it's Va. Beachs main cash cow. We CAN make it without the military. We better start planning ahead because eventually we'll have to. Finally, as far as Towncenter, we need to get those pedestrian bridges connected now, not when the next office tower comes along. It makes no sense to me to wait. Also, we need to get away from the whole national chain store, resturant concept they have going there and build something truly unique. I don't want a highrise suburban office park, I want a true downtown.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you were mayor, or if you had control over the direction that our cities take, how would you plan our region. What steps would you take to improve our image and how would you plan development in our cities. I've always been interested to know how people think this area should be run. You don't necessarily have to talk about Hampton Roads, you could concentrate on a particular city if you like.

As far as Virginia Beach, the first thing i would do is start buying land and right of ways for future transit systems (and i'm not talking BRT i'm talking about LRT, you know, real transit  ;) ). I would absolutely have to address the affordable housing issue. While upscale and dense development is welcomed, we need to make sure that people on a fixed or lower income aren't completely priced out of the city. I would have to get rid of Oceana. I know i'm gonna take some flak for this one but i really think it's necessary in order for Virginia Beach to become the city i know it can be. The new zoning regulations that the military is proposing are draconian and they will stifle development at the oceanfront, which in turn will stifle development elsewhere in the city because it's Va. Beachs main cash cow. We CAN make it without the military. We better start planning ahead because eventually we'll have to. Finally, as far as Towncenter, we need to get those pedestrian bridges connected now, not when the next office tower comes along. It makes no sense to me to wait. Also, we need to get away from the whole national chain store, resturant concept they have going there and build something truly unique. I don't want a highrise suburban office park, I want a true downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would love to have a chance at redeveloping the Portsmouth waterfront even though I live in Norfolk! I believe that Portsmouth and Norfolk will one day be one and the same thus I would call for development on the P/town waterfront to compliment what Norfolk is doing. I believe that the present mayor Holley is doing just that by hiring Ginzberg. I guess what I would do differently is try to acquire the property that belongs to Metro Machine and develop this property with a towncenter development that focus on entertainment to compliment the Olde Towne area. I would like to see old town cleaned up a bit more and become more like Alexandria with it's charm. The city hall area would be razed for condominiums which would feature great views of my favorite downtown :whistling: Anyway, a couple of high rise office towers and another hotel on the Holiday Inn property would really beef up this area. I also think that the parking garage on County st. would be a perfect site for a signature tower for Portsmouth. If we can get light rail over to this side of the water, Portsmouth could build a transportation station for the trains and buses in one central location. Perhaps some retail shoppes can be incorporated into this project to give it a big city feel. Finally, I would build on the Children's Museum and the Sports Hall of Fame by constructing a entertainment center with a regional iconic project that features neon tower that can be seen as far away as the oceanfront at night!

If we can get light rail over to this side of the water, Portsmouth could build a transportation station for the trains and buses in one central location. Perhaps some retail shoppes can be incorporated into this project to give it a big city feel. Finally, I would build on the Children's Museum and the Sports Hall of Fame by constructing a entertainment center with a regional iconic project that features neon tower that can be seen as far away as the oceanfront at night!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, I never really thought about putting Portsmouth into the light rail equation. Not that you say it, that makes a whole lot of sense. The water is a problem though and constructing through to that area is probably prohibitively expensive.

If I was mayor of any town I'd wanna be King I mean Czar I mean Supreme I mean Savior I mean Mayor Wilder. He's gonna turn Richmond around. He is transforming Richmond's government. Its truly an awesome time to be in this town right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Richmond does have an awesome skyline! I would love to see a couple 40 story towers perhaps twins and add a few condominium towers to really make a statement that Richmond is back! I think that Charlotte's downtown is dominated by too many large towers without smaller towers to fill in the gaps. They are really in high gear however with 7 or more highrise condo towers proposed and some of them are very impressive looking. I still prefer to have a downtown with more office towers than just banks and condos. I still wouldn't pass up a good bank headquarters tower if.one wants to come and relocate or establish itself in one of our Virginia cities.

Richmond does have an awesome skyline! I would love to see a couple 40 story towers perhaps twins and add a few condominium towers to really make a statement that Richmond is back! I think that Charlotte's downtown is dominated by too many large towers without smaller towers to fill in the gaps. They are really in high gear however with 7 or more highrise condo towers proposed and some of them are very impressive looking. I still prefer to have a downtown with more office towers than just banks and condos. I still wouldn't pass up a good bank headquarters tower if.one wants to come and relocate or establish itself in one of our Virginia cities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, Charlottes skyline is awesome but they could use a little infill development to drive up that density. All Richmond really needs is 2 or 3 45-60 story skyscrapers placed strategically through their downtown and thy'll be set.

Archived