Richmond Developments

Cotuit

RIVERSIDE on the JAMES

Richmond, VA

James_FrontPage.jpg

The first floor of all three buildings is planned retail space with entertainment and restaurant venues proposed. A portion of the retail space will be housed in the renovated, 23,000 square foot power plant, an existing structure located on the eastern portion of the site that dates back to the early 1900s. A beautiful new piazza will accommodate seating for restaurants and will serve as a place that the public can enjoy the open space via the Canal Walk. The west tower of the project is the office portion, and the east tower is the residential units. The parking deck will service all aspects of the development. Two bridges extend from 10th and 11th Streets to funnel vehicles and pedestrians onto the site so that they may access Riverside on the James. There is also pedestrian access at 12th Street.

When complete in Spring of 2005, Riverside on the James will feature 230,000

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Richmond is a major city that deserves its own development thread as well. I'm counting on you Richmonders to help out with this one. Most of us in this forum are from the Norfolk metro and therefore don't have as much access to the latest news or projects going on in your area. Have at it! :D

Edited by vdogg

PIC00004.jpg

rotjbridgein.jpg this one is at the base of 10th street, showing the incomeing bridge to the main tower parking deck

rotjcanal.jpglooking down the canal at the new bridges under construction

rotjresidential.jpg the end of the residential tower

rotjresidential2.jpgThis is a shot looking at the space betwen the two towers

^^^^^All photos courtesy of Beergnome2 from richmondcitywatch :)

Edited by vdogg

• 2 weeks later...

Stadium bid asks much from D.C.

City officials are concerned because same developers behind ballpark plan here

BY DAVID RESS

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Mar 25, 2005

When they bid for the Washington Nationals stadium in D.C., the developers who hope to build a ballpark in Shockoe Bottom said things Richmond officials hope they will never hear.

Click here.

The bid documents from Global Development Partners for the half-billion-dollar Washington Nationals baseball stadium project show they wanted the city to kick in more money and draw more from a utility tax than did most of their competitors for the project.

They also show the developers wanted a $20 million fee and expected the cash they put in to be repaid from the bonds the city sold to finance the stadium.

The Washington documents include the kind of detail that Mayor L. Douglas Wilder says he's getting impatient to see for the $330 million ballpark-anchored development that Global and the Richmond Braves have proposed for Shockoe Bottom...... Full Story

I hope this doesn't mean the ballparks in trouble

Anyone have any info, or even better photos, of stuff going on in the Shockoe Bottom/Tabacco Row area? Last year, I spent probably a total of 1.5-2 months in Richmond and found that area interesting. Maybe I'm wrong but it seem like THE "up-and-coming" urban neighborhood in Richmond. Last I was there, the area still needed some work (mostly on the retail side), but seemed like there was a lot of stuff happening there. Updates? Photos?

Mods note: No you guys aren't in the twilight zone, i merged the riverside on the James thread with the Richmond development thread just to clean things up a bit. Richmonders are more than welcome to post additional projects if I've missed anything. I'm currently in the process or trying to piece together a development portfolio for Richmond much like we have at the beginning of the Norfolk development thread.

Anyone have any info, or even better photos, of stuff going on in the Shockoe Bottom/Tabacco Row area?  Last year, I spent probably a total of 1.5-2 months in Richmond and found that area interesting.  Maybe I'm wrong but it seem like THE "up-and-coming" urban neighborhood in Richmond.  Last I was there, the area still needed some work (mostly on the retail side), but seemed like there was a lot of stuff happening there. Updates? Photos?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Shockhoe bottom took some major damage in tropical storm Gaston last year. About 20 blocks of that area of downtown richmond were destroyed. I'm not sure what is going on right now but i'm sure that probably set things back a bit.

Yeah my friend who lives there sent my photos of it all... absolutely amazing. Did that affect the stuff going on in the Tabacoo row area as well? I know it's sort of all one area, but where the lofts and stuff are seemed to have a little more elevation?

Do you know if there are any plans to help mitigate the effects of similar future events (if anything can be done at all), or has this sort of scared away investers from this area all together? If so that's too bad, but I guess everything flooding would get old eventually. :)

Yeah my friend who lives there sent my photos of it all... absolutely amazing.  Did that affect the stuff going on in the Tabacoo row area as well?  I know it's sort of all one area, but where the lofts and stuff are seemed to have a little more elevation? 

Do you know if there are any plans to help mitigate the effects of similar future events (if anything can be done at all), or has this sort of scared away investers from this area all together?  If so that's too bad, but I guess everything flooding would get old eventually. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The funny thing is the very thing designed to mitigate the effects of a flood is actually what caused all the damage. There is a retaining wall designed to keep the river out. I don't think they counted on it raining 20 inches in one day. It caused a flash flood when the sewer systems rapidly overflowed and the wall kept the water from escaping. It basically drowned shockhoe bottom.

Both of you all are basically right. Gaston hurt us alot but everything is cleaned up and people are going back to work down their. But heres the thing with

shockoe bottom and Shockoe Slip. There is a bit of crime that romes through there and its mainly an entertainment district theres clubs such as the canal club

alley catz a bunch of hip hop clubs to. Every once in a while you'll here about a shooting going on in Shockoe bottom in front of a night club. oh yeah I would like to tell you there is a really great development to going on in Richmond its called Rocketts Landing heres a link to the architect's website www.cmssarchitects.com if the link is not correct go to www.google.com and type in cmss architects and then you all find it.

Both of you all are basically right. Gaston hurt us alot but everything is cleaned up and people are going back to work down their. But heres the thing with

shockoe bottom and Shockoe Slip. There is a bit of crime that romes through there and its mainly an entertainment district theres clubs such as the canal club

alley catz a bunch of hip hop clubs to. Every once in a while you'll here about a shooting going on in Shockoe bottom in front of a night club. oh yeah I would like to tell you there is a really great development to going on in Richmond its called Rocketts Landing heres a link to the architect's website www.cmssarchitects.com if the link is not correct go to www.google.com and type in cmss architects and then you all find it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Omg, what an awesome looking urban housing development! I really like this. I wish there were a way to get pics off that site but as for right now here is a direct link. Rocketts landing

Omg, what an awesome looking urban housing development! I really like this. I wish there were a way to get pics off that site but as for right now here is a direct link. Rocketts landing

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hey here is the actual website for the project. It goes into more detail than just the renderings on the cmss site. can't wait for this to come to life....

Rocketts Landing