Richmond Developments

Cotuit

http://richmondbizsense.com/2016/05/18/westhampton-redevelopment-take-two/

This is an update on the Westhampton theater redevelopment.  I like it.  It gives that stretch of Grove a healthy dose of density without changing the scale of the neighborhood in a meaningful way.  I would love to see Libbie redevelop north to Patterson (which could use some new development too).  That would make for a great neighborhood for those who want some aspects of urban life, but prefer having a more space.

• Like 1

Some times you need an authoritarian approach to get big projects done, the Coliseum of Rome wasn't built by the republic but by the Emperor. Not a great analogy but basically what I'm saying is hopefully now that the power to construct and operate something like this is consolidated it may make things much easier to accomplish moving forward.

Lets hope they do something with this new authority

• Like 1

Don't know. Their power doesn't come into play until 1 July, so it will likely take some time for them to put together a plan, if they aren't already working on one to see if they can get "buy-in" from the counties, etc (I'd like to think that's happening already).

I just hope this turns into a nice, world-class facility (one that rivals JPJ Arena) and I hope that they can get it done sooner rather than later.  We need someone to take the bull by the horns to lead this effort and one who can get the different jurisdictions to agree. Can't think of who that might be, but someone needs to step up!

A big-time donor(s) and/or company sponsorships would be nice to get this thing rolling!

Edited by eandslee

3 hours ago, eandslee said:

Here's some updates I've been looking for regarding Uppy's plans to build a residential high rise next to the ICA and also regarding his indoor water park in Chesterfield:

http://richmondbizsense.com/2016/05/20/uphoffs-bowling-venture-striking-into-china/

Wow, at this rate our skyline is going to look like Miami's with all of the tower cranes :)  If only Burt was here to see this.

Edited by Icetera
Added sappiness
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, eandslee said:

Here's some updates I've been looking for regarding Uppy's plans to build a residential high rise next to the ICA and also regarding his indoor water park in Chesterfield:

http://richmondbizsense.com/2016/05/20/uphoffs-bowling-venture-striking-into-china/

Looks like Kalahari indoor water parks fits the description of company with 3 current locations that partnering with on the water park.

25 minutes ago, cbl1 said:

Looks like Kalahari indoor water parks fits the description of company with 3 current locations that partnering with on the water park.

First of all welcome to the forum.  Come here often and post much!

I do think you are in to something.  Reading on Wikipedia, it says, "Fredericksburg, Virginia had been considered for the site of a resort, but the plans never materialized."  Perhaps they may resurrect their plan for Fredericksburg in Chesterfield!  Makes one wonder....

I think the high-rise is great news, puts in some more density around broad street.

It looks like we are going to have three big anchors to encourage growth around that part of Broad street; We've got the VCU art institute in the west, Quirk Hotel in the middle, and the almost done CNB apartments in the east, I think we're going to see a lot more growth in the area based on these anchors.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, drayrichmond said:

I think the high-rise is great news, puts in some more density around broad street.

It looks like we are going to have three big anchors to encourage growth around that part of Broad street; We've got the VCU art institute in the west, Quirk Hotel in the middle, and the almost done CNB apartments in the east, I think we're going to see a lot more growth in the area based on these anchors.

Definantely. That section of Broad will is definantely going to become a development hub once the pulse is built. What I would love to see happen is to add some more floors of apartments above the existing buildings and replacing the vacant lots with mid and high rise buildings. But with the Uphoff high rise and the future coluseum replacement, we could see development start to reach new heights. 

I'm skeptical of the coliseum.  While the RMTA has the power to build it, I don't see how they're going to get the money.  

The building next to the ICA would be very nice.  With Johnson, Brandt, Rhoads, and Prestwood, that side of Monroe Park would be lined with 15+ story buildings.

I really see the CNB and ICA completions being the tipping point for Broad and Grace St. 

Southside is getting 88 apartments off of Hull Street here are the renderings. These are going in right next-door to the old Elkhardt Middle, which is planned to be demolished and a new middle school is rumored to be built nothing on the table yet, it's a shame though the colonial revival/ neoclassical architecture would make for nice apartments but such is life. 

Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 9.55.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 9.55.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 9.55.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 10.04.24 PM.png

On May 20, 2016 at 6:37 AM, eandslee said:

I'll believe it when this guy gives a timeline. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I'll believe it when this guy gives a timeline. 

Seriously!  He says that he is about announce the high rise plan near the ICA, but what does "about to announce" mean?  Heck, by his standards, that can be 2-4 years from now!  Remember, it's been 2 years since he announced that he was going to build an indoor water park in Chesterfield...and he still isn't ready to go on that project yet.  I agree, he's a bit wishy washy for me to take too much of what he says seriously.  He has some striking ideas and certainly has the money (I think) to back up his proposals.  It's just that I'm not too sure he knows how he's going to put projects like these together when he announces them.

Good to see you around these parts again Coupe (maybe I'm "off," but it seems you haven't been around much...you must have a life - ha ha).  Anyway, don't be a stranger!  You provide a lot of very good valuable insight. ;)

• Like 1

Does anyone know what is happening at Leigh and 2nd streets? there is a big whole in the ground and a construction barrier, I can't remember the construction company though. It looks like something is going up but I don't seem to remember any announcements. 

2 hours ago, tparkerzut said:

Does anyone know what is happening at Leigh and 2nd streets? there is a big whole in the ground and a construction barrier, I can't remember the construction company though. It looks like something is going up but I don't seem to remember any announcements. 

I was riding my bike there last night and noticed that huge hole too.  There is some information about it in this RTD article.

"75 units at Jackson Place, a planned four-story development on a parcel hemmed in by First, Second, Duval and Jackson streets in Jackson Ward. The project is expected to cost $30 million to $40 million, Somanath (RRHA CEO) said, and will include market-rate apartments and commercial space."

Does anybody know how many market rate developments are supposed to be included in the development?

Also, right across the street it looks like Sahara's took a good amount of floor space off the market, which 2nd street needed.  Their new place looks much nicer than their old VCU location.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Marcus Squires said:

It was posted awhile ago it's called Jackson place it's a 75 unit four story building 

Jackson Place (175* units) is actually the nearly full block 2 blocks North and one West of the site in question.  I have not seen any news releases on the 2nd and Leigh site but looks like it is a 31 unit condominium building operating under "Eggleston Plaza."

http://legistar2.granicus.com/richmondva/attachments/afb5899e-1e42-4b7e-85fa-cbc28e164219.pdf

Awesome thanks! I knew it wasn't the Jackson Place project. Don't know how this one slipped by, but looks like a nice little project. This is now the third project on second street. There are two renovations happening on the block north of Broad, both have apartments above and one will be commercial office space on the bottom and the other looks like retail space. Now we just need Douglas to figure out what they want to do with the space at the corner of 2nd and Marshall. I would love to see a medium sized supermarket open there, won't have to always go to Kroger for small shops. 

24 minutes ago, RiverYuppy said:

I was riding my bike there last night and noticed that huge hole too.  There is some information about it in this RTD article.

"75 units at Jackson Place, a planned four-story development on a parcel hemmed in by First, Second, Duval and Jackson streets in Jackson Ward. The project is expected to cost $30 million to $40 million, Somanath (RRHA CEO) said, and will include market-rate apartments and commercial space."

Does anybody know how many market rate developments are supposed to be included in the development?

Also, right across the street it looks like Sahara's took a good amount of floor space off the market, which 2nd street needed.  Their new place looks much nicer than their old VCU location.  

Where are you finding this Sahara info? Just curious what space they rented.

• Like 1