Richmond Developments

Cotuit

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/article_4a2dd3f4-46c6-578e-95fb-761fa8444945.html

More news on the Westhampton Theater development.  Sorry to see the old theater go, but I like new "urban village" plans.  Interestingly enough, some of my friends who live in the immediate vicinity are ardently opposed to this.  Curious as to what the group here thinks.

7 hours ago, Wahoo 07 said:

Interestingly enough, some of my friends who live in the immediate vicinity are ardently opposed to this.  Curious as to what the group here thinks.

I preferred the original plans that incorporated the building, but residents nearby complained that it would be too tall.  Really it was NIMBYism that caused the building to be torn down IMO.

Also it looks like the new Carytown bus barn apartments are coming along well.QxANqff.jpg

I also noticed some new development near Stony Point.  I believe it's going to be a 282 unit apartment complex.

stonypoint.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eandslee said:

Nice update! Thanks!  Love the photos. 

I was pretty sure the apartments weren't happening, but maybe that changed. The neighborhood was very opposed to the apartments and wanted office development.

http://richmondbizsense.com/2014/07/02/developer-withdraws-from-deal-with-southside-mall-owner/

• Like 1

I drove down Hull Street today and saw they are continuing to renovate some of those buildings in old Manchester.

I also noticed a new development in Manchester on McDonough St. between 13th and 14th St.

vzJ4j7G.jpg

I was also surprised to see some nice looking town homes not far off Midlothian Turnpike.  It looks like they were built by a non-profit called CHP

townhomes.jpg

I also noticed quite a few vacant houses in Randolph that are owned by RRHA.  Do any of you know when they are planning on selling them?

randolph1.jpg

randolph2.jpg

randolph3.jpg

• Like 3

RRHA has been planning to sell these scattered site, single-family houses for some time now.  The holdup is with obtaining HUD approval (these properties are encumbered by a HUD Declaration of Trust).  I understand that this approval may be forthcoming.  

• Like 2

I was up in Church Hill and noticed a development at 24th and Marshall streets. It seems to be new construction that is incorporating a vacant garage/warehouse that is next to it. Does anyone have information on this project? I can seem to remember it being mentioned. Happy new year!

On 12/23/2016 at 6:56 AM, georgeglass said:

I was pretty sure the apartments weren't happening, but maybe that changed. The neighborhood was very opposed to the apartments and wanted office development.

http://richmondbizsense.com/2014/07/02/developer-withdraws-from-deal-with-southside-mall-owner/

"The apartments were first proposed earlier that year, but stalled in 2014 when opposition from surrounding neighborhood associations culminated in a court-ordered injunction, which temporarily barred the sale of the 27-acre site just north of Dillard’s at the mall’s northern end.

Five months later, a circuit court judge filed an opinion and order allowing the property’s then-owner, an affiliate of Stony Point Fashion Park developer Taubman Centers, to sell the land without violating a 2001 agreement with the Huguenot Farms Area Association that restricted development to office and retail uses. The association represents about 250 residents in the Stony Point area and sought to make the injunction permanent."

http://richmondbizsense.com/2017/01/05/construction-underway-on-controversial-stony-point-apartments/

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 4:27 PM, RiverYuppy said:

I preferred the original plans that incorporated the building, but residents nearby complained that it would be too tall.  Really it was NIMBYism that caused the building to be torn down IMO.

I also noticed some new development near Stony Point.  I believe it's going to be a 282 unit apartment complex.

stonypoint.jpg

This is now:

http://richmondbizsense.com/2017/01/05/construction-underway-on-controversial-stony-point-apartments/

Also movement on the General Assembly complex:

http://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/government-politics/general-assembly/article_687093a2-fd73-50bc-9387-828bd9ac351f.html

Edited by Shakman

9 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

That is frustrating.  I understand the need for affordable housing but given that location, luxury-only is appropriate.  Also, the BRT does not replace the need for parking, especially for residential and the Carpenter Center.  It would be nice to see parking decks built at the major BRT nodes, however.  The parking deck facade was part of the plan from the beginning so that should be a non-issue.

• Like 1

They just need to hurry up on these things.  It's not really that bad.

1. The historic facade is already supposed to be preserved.  

2. Not imposing parking limits seems reasonable to me.  The city council shouldn't impose parking limits on the developers.  Let the free market decide whether or not they need 800 parking spots next to the BRT.  If the developers decide to not change, fine.  If the developers decide to invest more money in apartments than parking spaces, great.

3. Throw them a bone and make 5-10% of apartments have a household income cap of $120k/year or something.  (That's what the limit for my apartment is)

They could easily just nip this all right now and push this through.  What should have happened is to have a hearing on this instead of deferring originally, so it could be handled now.  

Regardless the city council needs to make a decision and move.  This has been in the works for a while now and this should have all been talked about and resolved by now.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, eandslee said:

I'm not familiar with this site (I think).  What is the Clopton Site?

https://www.cloptonsiteworks.com/

http://richmondbizsense.com/2016/03/14/fountainhead-to-transform-former-philip-morris-site/

Basically that giant lot of warehouses on Maury in Manchester. They're redeveloping it into....idk I guess cheap office spaces for entrepreneurs and startups.

On another note, what happened with that 8-story second phase of the Centennial project downtown? I was kind of looking forward to it but then it just kind of died out. I know the first phase was the renovation of the other building..

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like Scott's Addition is going to get a Gelati Celesti. They're apparently completely renovating the building on Boulevard and the top floor will be converted into apartments, which makes it even better!

Here is a picture of the building that's being renovated.

IMG_4133.JPG

There are two new 'barcades' that are vying for space in Scott's Addition

It also looks like Scott's Addition is going to get an upper end barber.  It may not seem big, but it's good to see available supply dropping and demand increasing.

Also in Scott's Addition, the bingo building has a new buyer.  They own that entire side of the block, so hopefully they have enough of a vested interest to make it something nice.

I also noticed construction of one of the office buildings in Scott's Addition.

IMG_5168.JPG

Champion Brewpub did a "soft opening" of its new location on Grace Street.  There are some big local names behind it, so I'm expecting it to be pretty good.  It's a huge win for Grace Street to get that large space filled.  It won't be long before Grace St. doesn't have any existing storefront space left to rent.

IMG_0274.JPG

I noticed there is some construction going on at the ground level of the John Marshall near Franklin St.  I wonder if something will be filling that space.

RTD did an article today claiming the ICA will open in October.

Thalhimer released a report on Manchester.  It details the explosion of Manchester.  I think the following quote best shows the positive outlook for the area: "Rent growth will continue as well, at least until inventory exceeds demand, but there are no signs of that coming anytime soon."

I noticed the new McDonalds on Hull St. was completed and opened Monday.  I hope they tear down the old one soon.

IMG_1991.JPG

Also the construction of these apartments (maybe condos?) in Jackson Ward seems to be well underway. 

IMG_2492.JPG

Lastly, it looks like VCU will become the new tenant for the building previously occupied by HDL.  I'm glad that it won't continue to be another vacancy downtown.

• Like 4

Thanks for the comprehensive construction/new developments update!  Nice pics too!  Considering how well Richmond is doing, I was hoping that Nestle would have moved downtown instead of Rosslyn in NoVA. It would have been a huge boost for Richmond. I wonder if it was even under consideration?  Anyway, Richmond is doing very well and this report is proof of that!  Thanks again...this is great!

21 hours ago, eandslee said:

Thanks for the comprehensive construction/new developments update!  Nice pics too!  Considering how well Richmond is doing, I was hoping that Nestle would have moved downtown instead of Rosslyn in NoVA. It would have been a huge boost for Richmond. I wonder if it was even under consideration?  Anyway, Richmond is doing very well and this report is proof of that!  Thanks again...this is great!

I do know Nestlé's short list was Arlington and Atlanta.  I am at least thrilled that Nestle will be a Virginia based company.

Edited by Shakman

I saw a new development in the Museum District that seems to be getting close to completion. There is a time lapse in the link.

There is also going to be a new high school near The Diamond. It will be a regional computer science focused high school that will be run by the people who do CodeRVA.

• Like 3