Richmond Developments

Cotuit

15 hours ago, Marcus Squires said:

I agree with the ideal of preserving the view shed. The park is a public asset and if I lived in the area I would want to retain my view shed. There is plenty of room in this city, this rust belt of the city has undergone extensive changes. Maybe it's time for council to look at the area around Belt Boulevard and South Side Plaza? GRTC has announced putting their transfer station for southside at South Side Plaza. GRTC seems to be the only company really investing in this area of the city.  

Since Seibert's is a destination for every Richmond newbie, it would be nice to have a gateway corridor to South Side Plaza!

• Like 1

Of course one would want to preserve the viewshed if you lived up there, it's one of the things that keeps property values nice and high. I highly doubt it's about history or anything for most of the people there, it's pure greed and selfishness.  If they can artificially restrict the supply of homes in the area, then they will fetch top dollar when desperate prospective home buyers come looking.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Since the viewshed gave Richmond its name, I like the idea of preserving it. And I don't live on the hill. 

Agreed.  However, the view that named Richmond is to the south southeast.  This project would not have impacted it.

Edited by Wahoo 07
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hikendesign said:

Glad to see the Whole foods Market is still progressing and also see that Lidl has purchased the off track betting parlor - to be razed.

These will enhance Broad Street in areas that need it and the Pulse will access them!

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/plans-moving-forward-for-whole-foods-market-near-richmond-s/article_c2b4b567-34bf-5e0e-a15f-b3bdef221ff9.html

The whole foods looks like a great re-use of the old pleasant hardware building, but I'm not like that they're keeping that big surface lot right on broad street. I would have like to see something like small retail and apartments facing broad with the parking lot in the back.

• Like 1

Excited to see this finally get moving! I think the rendering looks great and I dig the activation of the street frontage with the 2 story cafe seating and secondary entrance on the sidewalk. It's not urban design perfection but this is a pretty good compromise for where we are in redeveloping the core with amenities that make the city more livable. 

• Like 2

Good to see that this development is happening!  One upside to the surface parking lot is that as Broad's resurgence continues, the land value will increase considerably.  The highest and best use of the land will be development and not parking.  I am optimistic that Sauer will see the light and it will not be a surface lot for long (although the one in front of Lowe's is far more egregious in my opinion).

• Like 2

That is too bad on that one, image if they turned it around, Lowe's was along Broad and the parking in the back, I don't see that happen very often but why not.

As for the Whole Foods - hey, it's healthy eating and on the way home, grab some Church's fried chicken.  Now that's going to look silly.  People love that place, greasy chicken, don't get it..

The problem with that is Lowe's would have mostly a blank wall along Broad with main entries facing the parking lots.  It may be better in its current orientation with opportunity to develop some of the surface parking.

The draft Pulse corridor plan suggested extending Marshall Street in front of the Lowe's entrance, then adding mixed use development with a (underground) parking garage.

58cc3192bf870_ScreenShot2017-03-17at2_42_24PM.thumb.png.ffa176694c6e8ad80d9e52d2bf83f6ed.png

Also there will be a BRT stop right in front of the Whole Foods, so I'm glad that the entrance is very accommodating of pedestrians.

Edited by RiverYuppy
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, RiverYuppy said:

The draft Pulse corridor plan suggested extending Marshall Street in front of the Lowe's entrance, then adding mixed use with development with a (underground) parking garage.

58cc3192bf870_ScreenShot2017-03-17at2_42_24PM.thumb.png.ffa176694c6e8ad80d9e52d2bf83f6ed.png

Also there will be a BRT stop right in front of the Whole Foods, so I'm glad that the entrance is very accommodating of pedestrians.

Exactly!  I love that idea and hope it one day comes to fruition. 

2 hours ago, Icetera said:

The problem with that is Lowe's would have mostly a blank wall along Broad with main entries facing the parking lots.  It may be better in its current orientation with opportunity to develop some of the surface parking.

I completely agree with this, not saying I like the parking lot. And with Whole Foods if the parking lot was behind then the main entrance would be off Broad street. I'm sure they could still put that mezzanine along Broad but in general it would close off broad street to foot traffic and all the people would be on the other side. Not sure what the answer for that is though.

2 hours ago, tparkerzut said:

I completely agree with this, not saying I like the parking lot. And with Whole Foods if the parking lot was behind then the main entrance would be off Broad street. I'm sure they could still put that mezzanine along Broad but in general it would close off broad street to foot traffic and all the people would be on the other side. Not sure what the answer for that is though.

Parking decks over the store seems to be the best solution.  Example, Whole Foods in the District:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Whole+Foods+Market/@38.9092119,-77.0335692,115m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x89b7c6de5af6e45b:0xc2524522d4885d2a!2sWashington,+DC!3b1!8m2!3d38.9071923!4d-77.0368707!3m4!1s0x0:0x9ac6c418829a6b0e!8m2!3d38.9093874!4d-77.0333607

4 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

The draft Pulse corridor plan suggested extending Marshall Street in front of the Lowe's entrance, then adding mixed use development with a (underground) parking garage.

Unfortunately Lowe's company owns the entire parcel with the surface parking. Thats a shame because I think they'd oppose a mid-rise building blocking the store's signage to Broad Street. 

Edited by vaceltic

Capital One is making a small move into the city:

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/capital-one-buys-future-business-incubator-building-in-shockoe-bottom/article_61f5a50f-97d3-5f34-8681-8c49be73f804.html

The building is already being renovated, Cap One will occupy the top two floors with rotating staff from their Goochland Campus. Bottom three floors will be the business incubator.

Awhile ago Carmax opened an office downtown, now Cap One, how long before they start taking space in the high-rises? :)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, drayrichmond said:

Capital One is making a small move into the city:

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/capital-one-buys-future-business-incubator-building-in-shockoe-bottom/article_61f5a50f-97d3-5f34-8681-8c49be73f804.html

The building is already being renovated, Cap One will occupy the top two floors with rotating staff from their Goochland Campus. Bottom three floors will be the business incubator.

Awhile ago Carmax opened an office downtown, now Cap One, how long before they start taking space in the high-rises? :)

Yeah, love the movement downtown even if it is just 50 people to start with. Maybe they are "testing the waters" a bit to see if moving downtown would be an option for the future. My hope is that they love it and want to be downtown completely.  Only problem I see with that is that they would have to abandon their campus in West Creek (probably not going to happen...at least not anytime soon).  However, this is a great start!  I welcome this 100%!

5 minutes ago, hikendesign said:

Not really a new development but one that is close to completion - The Graduate Hotel.  I've been seeing adds for this on the RTD website when reading the paper - saw this recently when driving along Franklin, it's easy to slip past, the image below is from google.  The prior hotel was in disrepair and this new concept looks to have a niche' market with connections to university towns.  Think this will be a nice addition to the hotels filling in and around the city.

http://graduaterichmond.com/

Graduate Hotel.jpg

Nice.  I think that it's only a matter of time before Monroe Ward takes off

Not really a new development but one that is close to completion - The Graduate Hotel.  I've been seeing adds for this on the RTD website when reading the paper - saw this recently when driving along Franklin, it's easy to slip past, the image below is from google.  The prior hotel was in disrepair and this new concept looks to have a niche' market with connections to university towns.  Think this will be a nice addition to the hotels filling in and around the city.

http://graduaterichmond.com/

Graduate Hotel.jpg

Ooo la la. Didn't know they were going to have a rooftop pool. Wonder when the season extends and how that will function in terms of accessibility.

• 2 weeks later...