Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Looks like future expansion across Canal of the Martin Agency building is going to be axed.

"ORD. 2017-088 - To repeal Ord. No. 2014-245-225, adopted Dec. 8, 2014, which declared surplus and directed the sale of certain interests of the City in real estate located at 120 Shockoe Slip and 1331 A East Canal Street and in air rights over a portion of East Canal Street near its intersection with South 13th Street for $916,000 to Highwoods Realty Limited Partnership for the purpose of facilitating the expansion of the existing headquarters building of the Martin Agency."

• 2 weeks later...

Dodson practically owns the whole block now, right next to where a stop on the new Rapid Bus Line will be (4th and broad convention center stop).

http://richmondbizsense.com/2017/05/05/dodson-continues-downtown-buying-spree/

This is a piece of broad I wouldn't mind if they just demo'd and built new because the buildings here are so worn and lack any character from years of crappy remodels. This will be something to keep an eye on in the next year or two to see what comes from all this (hopefully something good).

• Like 2

On July 7, 2016 at 10:50 PM, benstyree said:

I heard from someone I know who works for a downtown property management company that they are planning to knock down 4 buildings on Broad near The National to construct a 15-story primarily residential building.  That's all the details I got today and will ask some more questions when I see him again in a few days.  In the meantime, though, has anyone else heard anything about this (potential) project?

This is the same block from my post back in July, hadn't heard anything about it in a while, but glad it may be gaining some momentum.  If my source was correct back then, they're considering a ~15 story apartment building there!  I hope that pans out.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, benstyree said:

This is the same block from my post back in July, hadn't heard anything about it in a while, but glad it may be gaining some momentum.  If my source was correct back then, they're considering a ~15 story apartment building there!  I hope that pans out.

I thought it sounded familiar, 15 stories would be amazing at that location, fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...

I was skimming it this morning, I really like the development scenarios they put forward and hope to see some of them happen. Also interesting part was the section on surface parking towards the end, I hope that with the new GRTC Pulse we'll start seeing these surface lots disappear at a quicker pace.

• Like 2

A scoop on what the state has in store over the next few years for Richmond:

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/city-of-richmond/from-downtown-to-the-carillon-state-about-to-embark-on/article_106099bd-53d8-56a1-acb8-2f9efedabcbc.html

Synopsis:

~$500 million total in construction/renovation

-General Assembly Building (of course): Demo to begin Jan 2018, Construction to run from 2018 to mid 2021. They will retain the historic facade.

-Parking Garage on Broad: 500 parking spots, first floor will be offices and event space for the state. 7 levels.

-Renovation of Old City Hall: 2018-2020.

-Renovation and Expansion of Department of Forensic Science on Fifth Street: Renovate 134k sq ft. Expansion 160k sq ft.

-Virginia War Memorial Expansion: $21 Million, Construction to begin this fall and run through mid 2019.

-Renovation of the Carillon: Fall through November 2018 (ready in time for 100 anniversary of the end of WW1).

-Renovation of Virginia Supreme Court building: 2022-2025.

• Like 4

Union Bank & Trust is on the move again!  Not to be beat out by Townebank, Union bought Xenith!  Union is back at the top as the largest community bank in Virginia. Noticed that they will now have branches in NC and MD!  Like the expansion moves...now get big enough to build big downtown Richmond!

http://richmondbizsense.com/2017/05/22/breaking-news-union-to-acquire-xenith-in-701m-deal/

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 3

It looks like that old garage port will be turned into apartments:  First-time developer fitting apartments into century-old garage.

Also the Capital One building downtown seems to be getting a lot of work done to it.  The brick, where the long windows will go, has been torn out.

Does anybody know the status of the development of the tobacco warehouse on Jefferson Davis (next to Model Tobacco)?  I can't tell if there is much work being done or not.  It's hard to tell since I can't see in the back of the building where any dumpsters would presumably be.

Edited by RiverYuppy
Added more stuff

15 hours ago, Marcus Squires said:

I know that there was a fire in the building about a month or sometime ago, I do not know if this set back the development. 

Hopefully not by too much.  It is one development I really hope doesn't get scrapped.

There seemed to be some work being done on it when I checked yesterday evening.  Someone at the very least unlocked the gate.

IMG_0353.thumb.JPG.06ec5f0bf17ce781c661ca4a4a5b4157.JPG

The capital one building downtown is coming along very quickly though.

IMG_0359.thumb.JPG.6c824aa00321a9201a24095c29f9b4a9.JPG

IMG_0360.thumb.JPG.7da09a39f120c5c0d232fafc8718bc51.JPG

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

^^^ LOVE. Build it before the NIMBYs find out, QUICK, QUICK!

edit: a picture for those curious:

592f3563cb44a.image.jpg?resize=1200,641

LOL!  Love your enthusiasm!  It's not a bad design and the "plus" is that it is along The Pulse route (thanks for mentioning, Coupe).  Hopefully, it passes and gets built!

18 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

^^^ LOVE. Build it before the NIMBYs find out, QUICK, QUICK!

edit: a picture for those curious:

592f3563cb44a.image.jpg?resize=1200,641

Glad to see another one of Main Street's "missing teeth" filled.  The more infill around Pulse stations the better.  It will demonstrate to Richmonders how powerful a catalyst mass transit is.

Edited by Wahoo 07
  • Like 1