Richmond Developments

Cotuit

I doubt it's Ellwood Thompson, however I really want something to go in there. I just bought over on Chimborazo Boulevard and N St. and would love to not go off the Hill for a full grocery store. Chimbo Mart is actually a lot more useful than I thought it was, however you probably aren't eating extremely healthy if you do your full shopping there.

• 2 weeks later...

Philip Morris sells land for 1M-square-foot industrial deal

Anderson said the project, dubbed Virginia I-95 Distribution, will be completed in two phases. The first calls for the construction of a 462,000-square-foot warehouse with office space, 36-foot ceiling clearance, multiple trailer drops and LED lighting.

Phase two would mirror the first building in height and size. However, Anderson said, if a single user wants to lease 1 million square feet, an option exists to build just one building.

Panattoni hopes to deliver the building for occupancy by summer 2018, Anderson said.

That sounds a lot like what the ABC is looking for in their new Distribution center.  I wonder if the builder is shooting for them as a tenant?

If you see it and are tempted to click on it...don't.  I'll just post everything it says here about the Whole Foods Construction activity on the Saur Center Development site in the RTD.  Here it is:

"Developers remain close-mouthed about the proposed Whole Foods Market-anchored Sauer Center development at 2022 W. Broad St. and 2024 W. Broad St.

But there are signs of activity at the site. In late July, Richmond issued land disturbance permits for utility work on the site, according to permit records."

That's it folks!  Don't use one of your free views on the RTD website for just that.  You're welcome! ;)

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

If you see it and are tempted to click on it...don't.  I'll just post everything it says here about the Whole Foods Construction activity on the Saur Center Development site in the RTD.  Here it is:

"Developers remain close-mouthed about the proposed Whole Foods Market-anchored Sauer Center development at 2022 W. Broad St. and 2024 W. Broad St.

But there are signs of activity at the site. In late July, Richmond issued land disturbance permits for utility work on the site, according to permit records."

That's it folks!  Don't use one of your free views on the RTD website for just that.  You're welcome! ;)

haha I read that "article" and thought, how did this make it to publishing, it's literally two sentences with barely any information... COME ON RTD!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Canal Walk former power plant (the one with murals) is up for sale.

http://richmondbizsense.com/2017/08/22/for-sale-again-canal-hydro-plant-building/

The article at the very end hints at more Locks development. Not concrete, but a hint.

Clark and Claiborne recognize the location could be a hard sell, but both pointed to encouraging activity in the immediate area.

The number of full-time workers along the canal is set to increase after Richmond-based Envera Health in March announced plans to occupy 27,000 square feet of office space in the Riverside on the James building.

CarMax also has grown its workforce in the nearby Lady Byrd Hat factory building at 140 Virginia St., and Fountainhead Properties continues to add to its Locks apartment development, which may include plans for a multi-story hotel.

“There’s this push for reinvestment in that area,” Clark said. “It’s all about finding the right tenant or buyer that’s going to share in the area’s continued growth.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

The Canal Walk former power plant (the one with murals) is up for sale.

http://richmondbizsense.com/2017/08/22/for-sale-again-canal-hydro-plant-building/

The article at the very end hints at more Locks development. Not concrete, but a hint.

I saw that and was going to make a comment, but I feel like I'm always doing the talking here and afraid others may be annoyed by me.  Thanks for posting.  I sure hope they are able to secure a tenant to fill some more space.  If I remember correctly, they were going to have a residential component to the tower with a rooftop pool on like the 10th floor as well.  Perhaps those plans have changed, but this sounds like there is the option of a hotel component now.  Questions are: is the residential component out now?  Will this tower only be a hotel and residential?  Who knows....

From what I understand and have been reading on the development; there is a possible hotel but it's delayed due a contested alleyway. Hopefully that will be cleared up sooner than later. There is still on the books a plot for future development where there is currently parking. The Haxall Canal Hydro Plant would hopefully be best as an entertainment center like the article says. Getting some more entertainment options down there, (barcade, bowling, etc..) would be great for the livability of the neighborhood then maybe we could see more condos move in.

Canal.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, hikendesign said:

Don't feel like working so will have fun here instead.  Since I like lists, here's mine for the unofficial end of the summer.

• August ends in a 1 - 2 punch - both surprises for The Hyatt and The General Assembly being presented.
  • Was near VCU School of Allied Health, sorry no photos, too much traffic that day, but it's up to about 7-8 stories already.
  • VCU Gladding Dorms are down to 1 crane.  Building is huge when you're next to it.
  • Monroe Park is well underway, so much ground work going on.
  • VCU ICA looks so close to completion, it's really looking good there - like this shiny chrome composite of geometric shapes, the webcam does not do it justice.
  • Drove right by the old gas station next to the ICA - didn't notice, is the gas station gone?
  • Saw the new bikes for bike share being used - pretty cool - their website https://www.rvabikes.com
  • Waffles - what a great idea, want one now.  https://richmondbizsense.com/2017/07/25/luncheonette-owner-adding-waffles-to-downtown-menu/
  • The Pulse is taking shape in so many locations and has things torn up all along Broad and into Main towards Rocketts.  This is quite an undertaking....
  • Has anyone been by these areas to report on any progress?
    • GRTC bus depot near carytown
    • Westhampton theater was to become a larger development

I left Richmond one month ago today for the mighty DC dollar.  I've been busier than ever at work and hardly get a chance to keep up.  

That said, I REALLY APPRECIATE THIS AUGUST RECAP!!!  

Thanks for the update.  Hopefully, someone will tackle a list for us next month! 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Richmonopoly said:

Was near VCU School of Allied Health, sorry no photos, too much traffic that day, but it's up to about 7-8 stories already.

I'm back to my Williamsburg commute now and I was pleasantly surprised that you can see the new building from the I64 bridge going over the Shockoe Valley. Next time I'm stuck in traffic there I'll try to get picture from that perspective.

• Like 1

Thomson Reuters, a international media and information company is opening an office downtown in Riverfront Plaza West tower and will bring with them 60 jobs!  They will be leasing 10K sq ft.   They are HQ'd in NYC.  Great news!  We will take them!  Welcome home Thomson Reuters!

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/education/city-of-richmond/mcauliffe-stoney-announce-thomson-reuters-to-open-downtown-richmond-office/article_4b9485f3-b6f8-52b7-a24f-fbcbdf234b15.html

• Like 3

***dedicated thread opened while typing this so I am moving it***

Does anyone think we will throw our name in the hat for the new Amazon HQ2?

It's obviously a stretch but after reading the RFP there are not a whole lot of things that hurt us....here are some concerns:

• Travel time to an international airport with daily direct flights to Seattle, New York, San Francisco/Bay Area, and
  • Washington, D.C. is also an important consideration.
  • Direct access to rail, train, subway/metro, bus routes - at site
  • Communities that think big

Would be nice to have already tackled projects like the ballpark and coliseum.   50,000 jobs w/ $100k+ income....those folks want nice entertainment options.  We have a lot of unique options to offer, obviously...but this will be downright competitive as hell.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/Anything/test/images/usa/RFP_3._V516043504_.pdf

Edited by meegwell

If not Richmond at least somewhere in NOVA.  When I heard the news this morning, I immediately thought Tysons would be a great fit.  Though I would rather Richmond cash in on this.  Perhaps somewhere between Downtown and Monroe Park.  Even the current coliseum location.

Edited by Shakman

1 minute ago, Shakman said:

If not Richmond at least somewhere in NOVA.  When I heard the news this morning, I immediately thought Tysons would be a great fit.  Though I would rather Richmond cash in on this.

Agreed.  Given NOVA's enormous tech sector, the region would be a good fit for Amazon.

3 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

Unfortunately, I just don't think that RVA has the labor pool for 50k people qualified for $100k+ jobs.

This is not my area of expertise...so when I say I "think" I don't mean I know....I would think as far as labor pool goes - they specifically ask for college graduates over the next 3 years ("up to" 50k is 10-15 years out) Richmond pulls from UVA, Tech, VCU, etc etc etc...I think that number would be fine.  How many people living in hyper-expensive and congested NoVa would drop everything for a great paying job at HQ2 in Richmond?  Sort of like the past two people I have hired this year (and many of the competing interviewees).  This is not a crack on NoVa but it is what it is, and quality of life is a factor ...congestion, commute time, affordability are all mentioned iirc).  They asked for 1m minimum metro area....for a reason I would guess.  Add to that the very specific language around college grads that the metro can pull from. 

Don't get me wrong, it would be a big stretch for RVA and that I more than just think...but I don't think the issue would be the 50k employees over 10-15 years time   The experts that drafted the RFP would have immediately told them they need a bigger minimum metro number if that was the case (I think)...:)

• Like 3

I'm glad to hear RVA's bike share is doing well.

I saw a zoning change notice near my apartment yesterday.  The lot at the corner of Venable and 18th (North side of Venable) is under consideration for a zone change.  My roommate's mom, who works in the real estate department of a downtown law firm, said that it is supposed to be a Golds Gym.

Perhaps not the most glamorous development, but I think that it is pretty significant that a chain company is looking to invest North of Venable!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

I'm glad to hear RVA's bike share is doing well.

I saw a zoning change notice near my apartment yesterday.  The lot at the corner of Venable and 18th (North side of Venable) is under consideration for a zone change.  My roommate's mom, who works in the real estate department of a downtown law firm, said that it is supposed to be a Golds Gym.

Perhaps not the most glamorous development, but I think that it is pretty significant that a chain company is looking to invest North of Venable!  

Definitely a positive development.  It attests to how vibrant the residential community there is!

• Like 2

I've noticed over the last week or so that extensive site work seems to be going on at the NW corner of Boulevard and Robin Hood (catty-corner from the Ashe center).  I remember a while back (I would guess at least 2 years), there was news of a  Wawa going in either at that corner or next to it where the abandoned BP gas station is now, but I'd assumed that project was dead as it's been so long.  I don't know if this is that or something else, but there's a lot of activity going on.

31 minutes ago, benstyree said:

I've noticed over the last week or so that extensive site work seems to be going on at the NW corner of Boulevard and Robin Hood (catty-corner from the Ashe center).  I remember a while back (I would guess at least 2 years), there was news of a  Wawa going in either at that corner or next to it where the abandoned BP gas station is now, but I'd assumed that project was dead as it's been so long.  I don't know if this is that or something else, but there's a lot of activity going on.

The Wawa was to go where the site work is currently.  I have been wondering if they are just clearly to market the land or if they are actually beginning the construction.

UPDATE:
Digging through the permits, I see that they are currently working on Water/Sewer connections.  The approval for a Wawa on the site  was completed last October and architectural plans appear to have been submitted on 6/1/17 with an aim for completion in 2018.

Edited by Icetera
Updates

3 hours ago, hikendesign said:

CitiWalker's pictures of the ongoing work downtown reminded me of the new buildings we get to look forward to,  then was bummed as I wanted more projects, things to happen faster,  wanted to hear more on the ones we know about, like the coliseum, the diamond, both could transform large areas,  riverfront residential at the floodwall, Uphoff's highrise next to the ICA, the Grace street development - city center, and on and on.   But then came back down to earth and thought, why not focus on what we already have underway.  These buildings are under construction.  

Collage_UP.jpg

(side note - I do have the HYATT on here, not technically under construction, there goes my feel good story...)

Don't forget we also have a ton of great infill/density developments; the new apartment building at Franklin and 20th is well along and the new apartment building at Marshall and 20th in the Bottom as well. Manchester has a ton of duplexes, houses and infill all over. Jackson Ward has some infill, density builds on the docket as well!

Increased density= more people=more retail/restaurants=more livability!

• Like 2