Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Some good news for Northside today.

Westminster Canterbury ‘Tower’ gets a facelift ($5m upgrade)

Downtown attorney makes $3M real estate play in Brookland Park

The lawyer is also planning on putting some real money into upgrading the apartments, which is great to hear for that corridor. 

• Like 1

Well, regarding that Scott's Addition hotel conversion to apartments by Better Housing Coalition, good news and bad news.

Good news: the lawsuit by previous developer has been withdrawn

Bad news: they plan on refiling later, and the plan has been indefinitely put on hold.

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/lawsuit-withdrawn-on-project-to-convert-former-hotel-in-scott/article_f55af836-209b-5662-bb56-0eafd87257ff.html

13 hours ago, drayrichmond said:

Good news for the East End: Started the ground work for the new Culinary School

https://richmondbizsense.com/2017/09/21/construction-starts-east-end-culinary-school-grocery-store-next/

Aaaand, it looks like they're going to start construction on the grocery store anchored 42-unit residential building (the one that Jim's Local Market pulled out of). Good stuff

• Like 1

Biked by the Citadel of Hope on Venable and it looks like there are some construction trailers out front so I'm expecting that project to start soon. Also it looks like there is some serious utility work going on at the Church Hill North Redevelopment by the old Armstrong High School. Sorry no pictures. 

• Sad 1

I noticed some more construction in Northside/Highland Park/Chestnut Hill area.

There are about 52 units of affordable housing to be constructed on the southern tip of Chestnut Hill.  They will be priced under $200k. Here is the google street view of the inchoate construction site.  

IMG_0571.thumb.jpg.7832775f7849f31c146bb7c9603f89d6.jpg

In the Highland Park area (near Ann Hardy Park) there are some contemporary townhouse going up.  I believe they're supposed to start in the low $400ks.  That's crazy to see in that area!

IMG_0580.thumb.jpg.b9a87c7c96895f8b6bf308fd999cd766.jpgIMG_0583.thumb.jpg.b889d20678c0b8a0d53b9357b9439eb3.jpg

It appears that there is some more (though not as nice) newly built houses in Highland Park too.  Driving through the Brookland Park area, it seems you can't go down a block without seeing a rehabbed home for sale or construction workers renovating a home.  I think that area is going to come together very nicely in a few more years.

I think what we will see happen is that the gentrification will close in from the East and West on Meadowbridge road. 

Edited by RiverYuppy

This is great news.  

I vaguely remember the apartment building that was on this lot.  It was abandoned the entire time that I was at VCU and was demolished in the mid 90's. 

The old apartment building was attractive, it was a 3-4 floor Tudor building.  I can't believe it has taken so long to redevelop such a prime spot. 

Edited by Brent114

Existing zoning allows the Grace Street building to be built by right – as well as twice as high as the team is proposing, Papa noted. But he said they’re sticking with six stories because they want the building to fit with the neighborhood.

Argh. Frustrating, but respect to them for avoiding the height arguments from the neighbors. Maybe the project will move a little quicker because of it.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Just wondering, anyone been down by the 1903 E Marshall St construction site? Anything going on with that project? Was always looking forward to that one, fills a major gap in Shockoe Bottom along with Valley West.

I drive by every morning, it's coming along, I'll try and snap some pictures of the goings on in Shockoe this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, RiverYuppy said:

Old Herod Seeds warehouse eyed for development

This is amazing news for Shockoe Valley.  

This will be interesting to see. The valley is really the last enclave of industry in the greater Shockoe area, if putting residential/mix-use up there works and is successful, we could see a bit of a land rush in that area. Shockoe bottom and the slip have a few undeveloped parcels left, but not much, seeing it move up the valley would be really cool and if it's really successful then maybe the flood risk will be null and development would be worth it and we can finally lose those massive parking lots.

• Like 2

I went to a community last night and heard a lot about development in Northside.  
Approximately 160 homes ($175k-225k) are to be built in the Northside/Chestnut Hill area.  

IMG_0629.thumb.jpg.0a55a05a12b9275482a71d0a730bbbaf.jpg

That's on top of the ones that are going on the Southern Tip.

They're also going to add a new trail along the Richmond-Henrico Turnpike and reopening the Ann Hardy Park.

Edited by RiverYuppy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hike said:

Can't say how nice it is to finally have something to write about,  good grief, what a lull.

Seriously!  I’m ready to talk new projects!  There’s gotta be some new news coming out soon about the new arena proposal, ground breaking and design of the 16-story residential towers in Manchester, some new surprise project...just something!  For the love of Pete...Richmond Economic Development Gods:  bring us some good news to talk about!  I hate this lull!

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Seriously!  I’m ready to talk new projects!  There’s gotta be some new news coming out soon about the new arena proposal, ground breaking and design of the 16-story residential towers in Manchester, some new surprise project...just something!  For the love of Pete...Richmond Economic Development Gods:  bring us some good news to talk about!  I hate this lull!

I am right there with you. Anyone have any idea why we aren't seeing more larger scale developments taking place recently? I definitely want to see some more new larger scale developments take place soon as this year hasn't been very active with very many new exciting projects.

• Like 1