Richmond Developments

Cotuit

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

Seriously!  I’m ready to talk new projects!  There’s gotta be some new news coming out soon about the new arena proposal, ground breaking and design of the 16-story residential towers in Manchester, some new surprise project...just something!  For the love of Pete...Richmond Economic Development Gods:  bring us some good news to talk about!  I hate this lull!

Just a quick thought on the Arena, I have a feeling our arena people are waiting to see how the arena for VA Beach plays out, size up potential competition, figure out the impacts a new arena over there would have on the market, etc.. The VA Beach arena deal or no deal is playing out right now and however that turns out will likely have an impact on ours

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Hike said:

Is it a coincidence that this is the day after the Va Beach arena deal seems to have fallen through?

3 minutes ago, Hike said:

11 am

Thanks!  So we wait to see what the big announcement is.  I'm sitting on pins and needles!  Even though I know what the subject of the announcement is, I hope they have some renderings, stats, and some good timetables for breaking ground!!!  A tall hotel as part of the project would be nice too.  Just saying.

24 minutes ago, jbjust said:

Is it a coincidence that this is the day after the Va Beach arena deal seems to have fallen through?

I did not know this!  That's huge!  Sorry to hear this about Va Beach, but hopefully our plan will deliver!

The news about VA Beach is not coincidental at all. The city was waiting to unveil news on this until they knew for certain that the VA Beach deal was going to fall through. This means that this will most likely include a 17-18,000 seat arena like the bizsense article mentioned. Huge news for the city and the whole region as this could possibly draw... Dare I say... A pro sports team. The sky is the limit for this proposal so hopefully Stoney is ambitious in his proposal and timetable for the project!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I just read that the Mayor is doing nothing more, but asking for RFPs for the Coliseum and the surrounding area.  Doesn't look like any solid plans.  :(

7 minutes ago, meegwell said:

anything yet?  I tuned in to the channel 6 live feed late but nothing going on did I miss it?

I put notes from the announcement under the arena forum

• Thanks 1

Looks like CoStar is making good on its promise to grow in downtown Richmond. It appears that they are leasing another floor in the West Rock building downtown.  This is very good news!

(No link because clinking on it would mean I’ve I got one less click out of my 5 for the month, but just go to the business section of the RTD...the story is there...that is, if you haven’t exceeded the number of free articles you’re allowed to read for free for the month yourself)

I’m running in the Half Marathon on Saturday and noticed that all the Browns Island activities are sponsored by CoStar!  I love it when a company moves to town and immediately gets involved in the community. 

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

(No link because clinking on it would mean I’ve I got one less click out of my 5 for the month, but just go to the business section of the RTD...the story is there...that is, if you haven’t exceeded the number of free articles you’re allowed to read for free for the month yourself)

FYI, if you use Google Chrome and open the story in "incognito mode," RTD does not register the view towards the count.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Hike said:

Less square footage available equals a need for new square footage. :) 

p.s. good for you to run, enjoy it.  Looks to be a cold day, may be interesting because we haven't had a lot of cold for you to prepare and get used to it.  

I like your thinking regarding square footage!  Hopefully, all the vacant space downtown can be filled soon.  Would be nice to get a new speculatively built tower soon due to the demand.

Yeah, this is my 4th year in a row running. Last two years, I ran the full marathon, but I’m getting too old...really, I just didn’t have time to train this year, so the Half it is!  Not looking forward to the cold, but it’s only cold until you get about 3 miles in...then you start getting hot. I just feel for all the spectators!  Love the support from the community on race day though!

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Honestly, I used to have a digital subscription and the app on my phone; I canceled my subscription, but the app still works, I've just never told them.

On CoStar, part of me is secretly super hoping that they do so well and will need to expand so much that the rest of that land around the West Rock building gets developed by them.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, eandslee said:

How about we actually pay for journalism that we all enjoy reading and discussing?  

• Confused 1

Another thing to consider is that downtown is leasing up square footage even while Scott's Addition and Manchester absorbs a small chunk of the market.

I saw an article today about Barber Martin opening a new "quick turnaround video division."  It would be nice to see them expand into a larger advertising agency!

They leased up 10k square feet in Scott's Addition after moving from Chesterfield not long ago.  That's space that would have potentially been taken up downtown.

As Scott's Addition and Manchester start to feel the squeeze more I think we'll see a surge downtown and investors will view RVA as a more diverse & healthy market.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...