Cotuit

Richmond Developments

Recommended Posts

hikendesign    299
17 minutes ago, Richmonopoly said:

I left Richmond one month ago today for the mighty DC dollar.  I've been busier than ever at work and hardly get a chance to keep up.  

That said, I REALLY APPRECIATE THIS AUGUST RECAP!!!  

Thanks for the update.  Hopefully, someone will tackle a list for us next month! 

 

 

Glad to be of service.  Enjoy your time in DC and have some fun too.  The good thing about being there is that RVA is right around the corner, if you're home sick and need to feel that slower pace again, train or car and you're right back.

 

Edited by hikendesign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


drayrichmond    316
15 minutes ago, Richmonopoly said:

Was near VCU School of Allied Health, sorry no photos, too much traffic that day, but it's up to about 7-8 stories already.

I'm back to my Williamsburg commute now and I was pleasantly surprised that you can see the new building from the I64 bridge going over the Shockoe Valley. Next time I'm stuck in traffic there I'll try to get picture from that perspective.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eandslee    279

Thomson Reuters, a international media and information company is opening an office downtown in Riverfront Plaza West tower and will bring with them 60 jobs!  They will be leasing 10K sq ft.   They are HQ'd in NYC.  Great news!  We will take them!  Welcome home Thomson Reuters!

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/education/city-of-richmond/mcauliffe-stoney-announce-thomson-reuters-to-open-downtown-richmond-office/article_4b9485f3-b6f8-52b7-a24f-fbcbdf234b15.html

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
meegwell    115

 

***dedicated thread opened while typing this so I am moving it***

 

Does anyone think we will throw our name in the hat for the new Amazon HQ2?

 

It's obviously a stretch but after reading the RFP there are not a whole lot of things that hurt us....here are some concerns:

 

  • Travel time to an international airport with daily direct flights to Seattle, New York, San Francisco/Bay Area, and
  • Washington, D.C. is also an important consideration.
  • Direct access to rail, train, subway/metro, bus routes - at site
  • Communities that think big

Would be nice to have already tackled projects like the ballpark and coliseum.   50,000 jobs w/ $100k+ income....those folks want nice entertainment options.  We have a lot of unique options to offer, obviously...but this will be downright competitive as hell.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/Anything/test/images/usa/RFP_3._V516043504_.pdf

 

 

 

 

Edited by meegwell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RiverYuppy    134

Unfortunately, I just don't think that RVA has the labor pool for 50k people qualified for $100k+ jobs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shakman    38

If not Richmond at least somewhere in NOVA.  When I heard the news this morning, I immediately thought Tysons would be a great fit.  Though I would rather Richmond cash in on this.  Perhaps somewhere between Downtown and Monroe Park.  Even the current coliseum location.

Edited by Shakman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wahoo 07    188
1 minute ago, Shakman said:

If not Richmond at least somewhere in NOVA.  When I heard the news this morning, I immediately thought Tysons would be a great fit.  Though I would rather Richmond cash in on this.

Agreed.  Given NOVA's enormous tech sector, the region would be a good fit for Amazon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
meegwell    115
3 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

Unfortunately, I just don't think that RVA has the labor pool for 50k people qualified for $100k+ jobs.

 

 

This is not my area of expertise...so when I say I "think" I don't mean I know....I would think as far as labor pool goes - they specifically ask for college graduates over the next 3 years ("up to" 50k is 10-15 years out) Richmond pulls from UVA, Tech, VCU, etc etc etc...I think that number would be fine.  How many people living in hyper-expensive and congested NoVa would drop everything for a great paying job at HQ2 in Richmond?  Sort of like the past two people I have hired this year (and many of the competing interviewees).  This is not a crack on NoVa but it is what it is, and quality of life is a factor ...congestion, commute time, affordability are all mentioned iirc).  They asked for 1m minimum metro area....for a reason I would guess.  Add to that the very specific language around college grads that the metro can pull from. 

Don't get me wrong, it would be a big stretch for RVA and that I more than just think...but I don't think the issue would be the 50k employees over 10-15 years time   The experts that drafted the RFP would have immediately told them they need a bigger minimum metro number if that was the case (I think)...:)

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RiverYuppy    134

I'm glad to hear RVA's bike share is doing well.

I saw a zoning change notice near my apartment yesterday.  The lot at the corner of Venable and 18th (North side of Venable) is under consideration for a zone change.  My roommate's mom, who works in the real estate department of a downtown law firm, said that it is supposed to be a Golds Gym.

Perhaps not the most glamorous development, but I think that it is pretty significant that a chain company is looking to invest North of Venable!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wahoo 07    188
2 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

I'm glad to hear RVA's bike share is doing well.

I saw a zoning change notice near my apartment yesterday.  The lot at the corner of Venable and 18th (North side of Venable) is under consideration for a zone change.  My roommate's mom, who works in the real estate department of a downtown law firm, said that it is supposed to be a Golds Gym.

Perhaps not the most glamorous development, but I think that it is pretty significant that a chain company is looking to invest North of Venable!  

Definitely a positive development.  It attests to how vibrant the residential community there is!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Icetera    161

Nothing really picture worthy, but I saw last night that River City Roll has steel work in progress and the new AAA garage has gutted out the lot with exception of the old garage's facade (both on Myer's between Boulevard and Cookie Factory Lofts).

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
benstyree    26

I've noticed over the last week or so that extensive site work seems to be going on at the NW corner of Boulevard and Robin Hood (catty-corner from the Ashe center).  I remember a while back (I would guess at least 2 years), there was news of a  Wawa going in either at that corner or next to it where the abandoned BP gas station is now, but I'd assumed that project was dead as it's been so long.  I don't know if this is that or something else, but there's a lot of activity going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Icetera    161
31 minutes ago, benstyree said:

I've noticed over the last week or so that extensive site work seems to be going on at the NW corner of Boulevard and Robin Hood (catty-corner from the Ashe center).  I remember a while back (I would guess at least 2 years), there was news of a  Wawa going in either at that corner or next to it where the abandoned BP gas station is now, but I'd assumed that project was dead as it's been so long.  I don't know if this is that or something else, but there's a lot of activity going on.

The Wawa was to go where the site work is currently.  I have been wondering if they are just clearly to market the land or if they are actually beginning the construction.

UPDATE:
Digging through the permits, I see that they are currently working on Water/Sewer connections.  The approval for a Wawa on the site  was completed last October and architectural plans appear to have been submitted on 6/1/17 with an aim for completion in 2018.

Edited by Icetera
Updates

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hikendesign    299

CitiWalker's pictures of the ongoing work downtown reminded me of the new buildings we get to look forward to,  then was bummed as I wanted more projects, things to happen faster,  wanted to hear more on the ones we know about, like the coliseum, the diamond, both could transform large areas,  riverfront residential at the floodwall, Uphoff's highrise next to the ICA, the Grace street development - city center, and on and on.   But then came back down to earth and thought, why not focus on what we already have underway.  These buildings are under construction.  

 

 

Collage_UP.jpg

 (side note - I do have the HYATT on here, not technically under construction, there goes my feel good story...)

Edited by hikendesign
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

drayrichmond    316
3 hours ago, hikendesign said:

CitiWalker's pictures of the ongoing work downtown reminded me of the new buildings we get to look forward to,  then was bummed as I wanted more projects, things to happen faster,  wanted to hear more on the ones we know about, like the coliseum, the diamond, both could transform large areas,  riverfront residential at the floodwall, Uphoff's highrise next to the ICA, the Grace street development - city center, and on and on.   But then came back down to earth and thought, why not focus on what we already have underway.  These buildings are under construction.  

 

 

Collage_UP.jpg

 (side note - I do have the HYATT on here, not technically under construction, there goes my feel good story...)

Don't forget we also have a ton of great infill/density developments; the new apartment building at Franklin and 20th is well along and the new apartment building at Marshall and 20th in the Bottom as well. Manchester has a ton of duplexes, houses and infill all over. Jackson Ward has some infill, density builds on the docket as well!

Increased density= more people=more retail/restaurants=more livability!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RiverYuppy    134

Some good news for Northside today.

Westminster Canterbury ‘Tower’ gets a facelift ($5m upgrade)

Downtown attorney makes $3M real estate play in Brookland Park

The lawyer is also planning on putting some real money into upgrading the apartments, which is great to hear for that corridor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hikendesign    299
23 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

Some good news for Northside today.

Westminster Canterbury ‘Tower’ gets a facelift ($5m upgrade)

Downtown attorney makes $3M real estate play in Brookland Park

The lawyer is also planning on putting some real money into upgrading the apartments, which is great to hear for that corridor. 

The tower really needs it.  Driving into RVA south bound on I-95 this is one of the first larger buildings you see  and it's not a great look in it's current state.  If this get's even 10% better it will be an improvement on the entry into the urban corridor.  Went on the architects website - THW Architects - to see if there was a hint of this but nothing.  

Edited by hikendesign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, regarding that Scott's Addition hotel conversion to apartments by Better Housing Coalition, good news and bad news.

Good news: the lawsuit by previous developer has been withdrawn

Bad news: they plan on refiling later, and the plan has been indefinitely put on hold.

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/lawsuit-withdrawn-on-project-to-convert-former-hotel-in-scott/article_f55af836-209b-5662-bb56-0eafd87257ff.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.