Cotuit

Richmond Developments

This is great news.  

I vaguely remember the apartment building that was on this lot.  It was abandoned the entire time that I was at VCU and was demolished in the mid 90's. 

The old apartment building was attractive, it was a 3-4 floor Tudor building.  I can't believe it has taken so long to redevelop such a prime spot. 

Edited by Brent114

Existing zoning allows the Grace Street building to be built by right – as well as twice as high as the team is proposing, Papa noted. But he said they’re sticking with six stories because they want the building to fit with the neighborhood.

Argh. Frustrating, but respect to them for avoiding the height arguments from the neighbors. Maybe the project will move a little quicker because of it.

Just wondering, anyone been down by the 1903 E Marshall St construction site? Anything going on with that project? Was always looking forward to that one, fills a major gap in Shockoe Bottom along with Valley West.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Just wondering, anyone been down by the 1903 E Marshall St construction site? Anything going on with that project? Was always looking forward to that one, fills a major gap in Shockoe Bottom along with Valley West.

I drive by every morning, it's coming along, I'll try and snap some pictures of the goings on in Shockoe this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, RiverYuppy said:

Old Herod Seeds warehouse eyed for development

This is amazing news for Shockoe Valley.  

This will be interesting to see. The valley is really the last enclave of industry in the greater Shockoe area, if putting residential/mix-use up there works and is successful, we could see a bit of a land rush in that area. Shockoe bottom and the slip have a few undeveloped parcels left, but not much, seeing it move up the valley would be really cool and if it's really successful then maybe the flood risk will be null and development would be worth it and we can finally lose those massive parking lots.

• Like 2

I went to a community last night and heard a lot about development in Northside.  
Approximately 160 homes ($175k-225k) are to be built in the Northside/Chestnut Hill area.  

IMG_0629.thumb.jpg.0a55a05a12b9275482a71d0a730bbbaf.jpg

That's on top of the ones that are going on the Southern Tip.

They're also going to add a new trail along the Richmond-Henrico Turnpike and reopening the Ann Hardy Park.

Edited by RiverYuppy
  • Like 2

That is great news, I've been looking at that track of land waiting for something to happen. This looks like a good development, more housing, more tax payers, less empty space.

I am sure its better than what is currently there.  Unfortunately the layout is very suburban.  Let's see what the final product will be.

Edited by Shakman

I hope the architecture is better than the development that went up next to that area. But regardless we need to do whatever is necessary to get rid of our current public housing.

2 hours ago, Hike said:

Can't say how nice it is to finally have something to write about,  good grief, what a lull.

Seriously!  I’m ready to talk new projects!  There’s gotta be some new news coming out soon about the new arena proposal, ground breaking and design of the 16-story residential towers in Manchester, some new surprise project...just something!  For the love of Pete...Richmond Economic Development Gods:  bring us some good news to talk about!  I hate this lull!

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Seriously!  I’m ready to talk new projects!  There’s gotta be some new news coming out soon about the new arena proposal, ground breaking and design of the 16-story residential towers in Manchester, some new surprise project...just something!  For the love of Pete...Richmond Economic Development Gods:  bring us some good news to talk about!  I hate this lull!

I am right there with you. Anyone have any idea why we aren't seeing more larger scale developments taking place recently? I definitely want to see some more new larger scale developments take place soon as this year hasn't been very active with very many new exciting projects.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

Just a quick thought on the Arena, I have a feeling our arena people are waiting to see how the arena for VA Beach plays out, size up potential competition, figure out the impacts a new arena over there would have on the market, etc.. The VA Beach arena deal or no deal is playing out right now and however that turns out will likely have an impact on ours

• Like 3

HERE IT IS!  Haven't even read it yet but here we go!!  Moving to the New Arena Link as well.

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/city-of-richmond/rtd-exclusive-mayor-stoney-to-announce-major-downtown-redevelopment-plan/article_94bac7fb-b6c7-5b89-be12-9623fd44f1c2.html

Edited by Hike
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hike said:

Is it a coincidence that this is the day after the Va Beach arena deal seems to have fallen through?

Didn't know that,  that is a strange coincidence.  RVA will gladly take that from you.

Edited by Hike
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Suddenly, an explosion of news!  Love it!  Can't wait for the announcement!  Anyone know what time?

11 am

• Thanks 1