Cotuit

Richmond Developments

15 minutes ago, RiverYuppy said:

Perhaps a partnership with VCU would be good too.  VCU Basketball, high school & university graduations, concerts, and other special events could keep it going year 'round.  

This may be a tough sell given VCU already has the Siegel Center and accompanying practice facility, though they could certainly play the larger games at the new arena (which was a big part of prior intentions).  Amusingly, the only school in the area that may have the graduation numbers to utilize an arena is VCU, though I suspect the Siegel Center may be being outgrown for such a use.

Just wanted to point out that we are only 1 month away from the proposal due date 9 February).  I doubt we’ll know anything about any of them until the finalists are chosen, so we’ll have to wait longer I’m afraid before we know any details. 

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

Funny thing is that the article doesn’t mention anything about the height of this development. It only mentions that the code allows buildings UP TO 10 stories...that doesn’t mean that this developer will build something that tall there.  In fact, there is no design nor specs yet. I thought the title of the article was very misleading, but I do not deny that the Pulse is part of the reason for the development in the first place.   So, go Pulse!  I hope it spurs even more development!

• Like 3

Here’s that VA Lottery sign I mentioned earlier...

E4B42D6D-F96D-4DF5-A71A-D385D9715BAC.jpeg

The Pulse stations are changing the look and scale of Broad Street (for the better, IMO). 

3D061680-FD35-4A82-93FB-3E424E731DE6.jpeg

F334D039-923F-491F-8137-7B54C49F5E6C.jpeg

• Like 4

It’s really lookin good. Hopefully it is so successful that they have to expand to the surrounding counties and areas like the east end, Jeff Davis and north side.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

It’s really lookin good. Hopefully it is so successful that they have to expand to the surrounding counties and areas like the east end, Jeff Davis and north side.

That's my hope as well, I hope it works so well that all the detractors are proven wrong and we'll have not choice but to expand it. And maybe so successful that they upgrade to light rail (one can dream)!!

Also thanks for all the pictures Brent, I feel like we forget that there's do much development going on around the city and start feel like there isn't much going on, but ever corner of this town has something major going on! The pictures are a great reminder of that!

Edited by drayrichmond
  • Like 3

Does anyone know what the WestRock deal means for WestRock (other than it just got bigger) and it's downtown headquarters?

I assumed the project in Fulton Hill would never happen.  I was wrong :) 

CB5DDC3A-B4F4-4F6C-8E0B-9520AF2CC382.jpeg

I have more photos of the construction but in being told that the files are too large.  Guess I’ll try to resize them...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Work has begun on the Drury Plaza Hotel in Henrico. It's good seeing the county slowly grown more dense, trading parking lots for hotels and apartments.

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/metro-business/buzz/work-underway-for-new-drury-hotel-on-west-broad-street/article_03d9c9df-f355-5c9c-ad25-b71adbfce557.html

• Like 3

Here are those condos that replaced the Westhampton theater (and a surface lot on the corner of Granite and Grove). 

8B355A3F-55DC-4A98-AB07-72C3B20FFC1B.jpeg

48008265-0E23-4B9D-9971-3B2A145AE9D7.jpeg

A0055566-271A-40C5-A003-12D4D41C5F7B.jpeg

51AF01FC-DC09-4CCD-BDDA-9DED5E5FCCFF.jpeg

6ACEB421-F54E-450A-89D5-4B0E5FEF2081.jpeg

And the on-again, off-again condos on Libbie

C000DF0C-9DDE-4AE2-AA8C-DF101DB0964E.jpeg

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This here’s a box of apartments on Monument.

A168AF99-6F61-471C-BEDC-F1EE0D3C05D6.jpeg

EB4B5E57-7AC6-4D27-8F06-2ABA7F620410.jpeg

And a box of infill in the Museum District (i like the elevation of these, lots of steps up to the door). 

E1355D49-8C20-41E7-BE3E-A62DF5B2EDBF.jpeg

843DC890-D515-4A1C-9EFF-CC256988ACD8.jpeg

• Like 4

Whole Foods )nog much to see, just some fill... but for those out of town,  this is what Broad Street looks like with Pleasant’s  gone. 

492CBB58-02CE-4C41-9D1A-988261733438.jpeg

F05C0C8D-E612-45DF-A360-40690AB8C338.jpeg

C4F7C197-09BB-4551-9C89-FE58EA16EBFD.jpeg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Wahoo 07 said:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2018/02/12/panel-urges-shared-vision-shockoe-bottom-development/

Interesting article about Shockoe development.  The idea tying a school to an urban agriculture program in conjunction with the 17th Street Farmers Market is an interesting one.

I’d love to see this project extend the farmers market all the way from Main to Broad. 

What is the highest and best use for this property which has a luxury of multimodal transit options? One could put an urban farm anywhere on a tough to develop plot in the city.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

Tower crane! 

7296E17B-0049-4643-A517-41949E97EED8.jpeg

Wait, hold up...where is this?  I'm must be turned around somehow.

Civil War Museum expansion or Va War Memorial Expansion - hmmmmm, someone do tell...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blopp1234 said:

I think it is probably the war memorial expansion. Anyway great to see things really moving along!

I didn't see anything on the Virginia War Memorial's website concerning an expansion project but the construction is right there at their site.

15 minutes ago, ZUMAN2 said:

I didn't see anything on the Virginia War Memorial's website concerning an expansion project but the construction is right there at their site.

Well, I knew they were doing an expansion, but I didn't know it would require a tower crane!  I really think the expansion may be 2 stories, at the most.  I'll have to double check though.  If it were anything significantly higher, we would have known...right?   I mean, that IS what we do...we know these sort of things.  This has caught me off guard for sure!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

Well, I knew they were doing an expansion, but I didn't know it would require a tower crane!  I really think the expansion may be 2 stories, at the most.  I'll have to double check though.  If it were anything significantly higher, we would have known...right?   I mean, that IS what we do...we know these sort of things.  This has caught me off guard for sure!

Certainly a surprise.  Perhaps the elevation called for a longer boom than a traditional crane could reach?

Virginia War Memorial

The above rendering is what I found when searching for the expansion plans for the Virginia War Memorial.  Hardly seems like it would need a tower crane.  Well, I’ll take it!

Would love to see a new photo of the crane all assembled!

• Like 2