Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Also, the Canal Landing project will probably look much different than the rendering that was posted earlier. It is now being developed by daniel corp, not Highwoods properties. Daniel plans to build a residential tower with retail and parking on the site. No word yet on renderings or a timetable though. They may be waiting to see how Richmond responds to the Riverside on the James Project.

Another new development that is currently under construction/rehabilitation is the "Lady Bird Hat Building." It sits along the Canal Walk near the turning basing (not far from ROTJ). Toad's Place, an entertainment venue from connecticut, is planning to be a major tenant. I think its supposed to be ready for occupation by early next year. There will also be office and other retail in the building.

wrldcoupe4 you registered yay now i'm not the only richmonder on here now we have someone else to get information from about richmond developments yay.wrldcoupe what dou you thnik of the site I love it myself I like reading about all of the other cities developments its so interesting.

wrldcoupe4 you registered yay now i'm not the only richmonder on here now we have someone else to get information from about richmond developments yay.wrldcoupe what dou you thnik of the site I love it myself I like reading about all of the other cities developments its so interesting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, and if you know any more Richmonders drop a line to them as well. Even though this forum is dominated by Hampton Roads for now it is for ALL Virginians. Yes, Roanoke, that means you too. ;) . Welcome to the forum wrldcoupe4, hope you enjoy.

Yea I'd like to see more on this site about development occurring in Richmond. Most of it isnt new massive towers. Richmond is going through a phase of great revitalization. Older industrial properties are being turned into loft apartments (tobacco row is a good example of that) More and more people are finding city living more attractive finally.

Yea I'd like to see more on this site about development occurring in Richmond. Most of it isnt new massive towers. Richmond is going through a phase of great revitalization. Older industrial properties are being turned into loft apartments (tobacco row is a good example of that) More and more people are finding city living more attractive finally.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that across this country, in general, more and more people are starting to realize that urban living has a substantial number of benefits. I just love how all these cities are finally starting to turn around. Richmond may not have a lot of towers slated for construction but they already have an awesome skyline. The view coming from 95 is astounding.

vdogg- you hit up richmondcitywatch from time to time to talk about hampton roads development right? You could put a link to this in your signature and perhaps draw some people from RCW over that can contribute here as well....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Already done. I held off on doing that for a bit because i didn't know if it would be bad netiquette for a mod from another site to come and advertise on theirs. But after discussing it with the other mods i decided to go ahead. They don't seem to mind, and the web is a pretty big place, theres room for all of us :) .

I agree about the skyline vdogg... It may not be extremely massive in height, but for the most part it is very balanced and has a good number of buildings around 400 ft It looks awesome at night coming through on I95 northbound. It also looks awesome coming across the Lee and Manchester Bridges at night

What do you think the prospects are for any major highrise condo development in DT Richmond besides riverside on the James. I think such a project would really serve to draw a lot of attention and add quite a bit of interest in downtown. I also think Richmond really needs to start an advertising campaign letting people know that shockhoe bottom is back. I know that a lot of people, down here at least, are still operating under the impression that shockhoe bottom was destroyed.

Wrldcoupe and Vdogg I couldn't agree with you all anymore. You all have made some excellent points about the richmond skyline.We have a very well balanced skyline and its very impressive going south and north bound on 95. I also like it how main street station comes up over 95 to. That impresses me too.I think we in the future are going to be very succesful and I think once alcoa's property is developed into a highrise it will look really great I think if the alcoa property was developed it should be the tallest one in the Richmond Skyline Becasue I feel theres room for at least one more tallest building.But I cannot wait for the current development of Riverside on the james to finish and the beginning of Rocketts Landing.

Hey can someone post some pictures of the Proposed Hilton Hotel and the

Performing Arts Center I would do it myself but I tried posting pictures before once and I typed in the URL but all it gave me was the Web address instead of the picture.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's a proposed hilton in Richmond?

Hey can someone post some pictures of the Proposed Hilton Hotel and the

Performing Arts Center I would do it myself but I tried posting pictures before once and I typed in the URL but all it gave me was the Web address instead of the picture.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Two questions

1.) did you enclose the image in img tags before you posted

2.) Is it hotlinked from the site (which we discourage) or did you try to post them from an image hosting site like www.photobucket.com.

I would suggest uploading the pics to an image hosting site and then trying to post them from there. Just remember that the image url has to be enclosed in the %7Boption%7D format.

downtowner- I had a feeling you were joey p... nice to see you're using periods now. :) you also seem to make better formulated points on this site as opposed to RCW. carry that over there man...

vdogg- first with regards to another major high rise condo project. like I said in an earlier post, daniel corp now possesses the canal landing property. originally highwoods was going to make a big office/retail/some condos tower. Daniel now plans to make it totally residential and retail on the lower 1 or 2 floors. only thing is there are not many details about this new tower. I hope it goes at least as tall as the 18-20 stories that highwoods had planned. Other than that, I think people are waiting for any more high rise residential the best i can tell. There is a massive amount of conversion of former industrial or office buildings into residential. Many of these are loft style like you would find in a city like NYC. There is also interest in restoring many of the old rowhouses in areas such as Churchill and The Fan. These have really helped the downtown market jump. I think that new condo towers will follow after some more rehabilitation. Rehab is the really big thing in Richmond right now. I'm totally for it too because there are some architectural treasures downtown. New towers will come (like downtowner said hopefully on the Alcoa property adjacent to the canal walk). With all the rehab etc. going on though i think a major new tower may over saturate the market at the moment.

Shockoe Bottom has made a comeback, but it still has a way to go. The city also has a ton of infrastructure improvements it needs to finish as well. the lack of improvements on the city's behalf is one thing holding the Bottom back. A lot of this stuff is intertwined with the $330 million proposed baseball stadium project for the R-braves planned in the bottom.

The new Hilton Hotel is planned in the former Miller & Rhoads department store. The old Woolworth's building will be removed to make an entrance into the new Hilton. There is some debate though whether the project will just be a Hilton or whether condos will be part of it as well. The downtown hotel market isn't as strong as it could be and the developer is finding it difficult to secure enough financing for just the hotel. It'll either be 329 hotel rooms or 225 hotel rooms and 100 condos.

Edited by wrldcoupe4

A couple more things to add....

here is a link to the commonwealth architects page on the Hilton Hotel. THe rending is crisper and more colorful and there is also more information on it:

ComArchs Hilton Rendering

Also, talking about highrise condo construction downtown... This isnt exactly a new tower, however, The Hotel John Marshall is being converted into condos. With 15 floors, this project coming online will be great for downtown Richmond. This landmark will once again breathe life. Info on this was also on the commonwealth architects site:

Hotel John Marshall

Another thing to mention is the City Hall Recladding project. It looks totally awesome and I cannot wait until it is finished.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, i saw that when i was in Richmond last month. It does look quite nice. Are there any other buildings scheduled for remodeling in Richmond? I swear i heard that Richmond was scheduled to undergo a major makeover of some of its older and more historic sites. I just can't remember when or where.

vdogg- one notable renovation is the Capitol building and grounds and several historic buildings surrounding the capitol building. A new underground visitor/tourist entrance as well as a welcoming center are also slated to open in conjunction with 2007. The state has also released a new proposed master plan for the capitol grounds which could be realized by 2013. There are almost too many smaller renovation projects to list.

downtowner....where do you suggest this sports district go? I would say the best bet would be at the renovated diamond/amateur sports plex/sportsbackers stadium/arthur ashe center. Once the bus stations move near main st. station as part of the multimodal transportation center, that part of the boulevard will be begging for revitalization to rid it of its former industrial gritty image. THe proposed sportsplex there could be the place you are looking for. The only problem is that the coliseum is farther downtown as well as the proposed stadium in the bottom.

I think a good place for it would be where North Boulevard is where the diamond and everything is. Get rid of that crummy little league field and that stinkin Red Roof in it looks pathetic. I think that whole area needs to be revitalized and I think a Sports District would attract lots of vistiors from the burbs. Which that would be one of me plus tourists as well. oh yea I have to say I think if the braves want to build a new Ballpark they should build it where the diamond is implode the diamond and build a new one.