Richmond Developments

Cotuit

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

Excellent visibility from I-195! This will be a fun project to watch rise. The Pulse has to have contributed to this in some way, meaning it’s gotta be somewhat successful in attracting new residents(major +). Hopefully, more development like this can replace the mass public housing complexes in union hill and Gilpin court.

I hope it encourages a Pulse stop there in the future as currently it is in an annoying gap in the line between Scott's Addition and Commonwealth stations.

Edited by Icetera
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

One of the world's dumbest land spats has lead the Hyatt on the Canal to be canceled. The developer is now looking for a new site. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2018/08/28/downtown-alley-spat-leaves-hotel-developer-hunting-new-site/

My thought is that they should build the new hotel on top of the Locks "Tower" and make that building more fitting for the space by giving it more height.  That was part of the original plan anyway.  Why not, right?

• Like 4

Unbelievable, this would have done so much for the canal district. 

Who want to play the guessing game on the new location? 

"Macfarlane said his team has identified another site “close to the river” that would be ideal for the project."

Possibly across the canal from the original location, in the current parking lot? Or perhaps the pencil lot on 10th street? Let the wild speculation commence! 

22 minutes ago, Hike said:

Good idea, but too late unless they'd be willing to stop the presses.  Just bad timing because this seems like a great concept.  

Residential demand is still pretty high downtown, so I’m guessing they could get away with developing a mixed use tower, including residential and the hotel, as well as possible office space. I could definently see them building up on some lot downtown(possibly the pencil lot), which could sprout a very tall building depending on the scope of the development. Maybe this loss will open up a new possibility for the developer to build something much more significant for RVA.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

Residential demand is still pretty high downtown, so I’m guessing they could get away with developing a mixed use tower, including residential and the hotel, as well as possible office space. I could definently see them building up on some lot downtown(possibly the pencil lot), which could sprout a very tall building depending on the scope of the development. Maybe this loss will open up a new possibility for the developer to build something much more significant for RVA.

Gosh, I hope you're right!  I would like to see them add a mix to the structure and not build just a hotel.  Some residential (like you said) would be super nice, but this is the same developer who dreamed up the Locks Tower, so while hopeful, I'm not expecting anything other than the run-of-the-mill hotel (and that's it).  I hate to say it, but this developer just misses so many opportunities to do something so much grander, but always (and I mean EVERY stinking time) falls short.

I hope it is not the "pencil" (or pentagonal) lot as I'm hoping that a significant company would want to build big and tall on that site in the (hopefully) near future.  It's such a prime location and because the footprint is small, it is just begging for a signature tower!  :)

59 minutes ago, Hike said:

I like this one too.  Its right in the mix, easy access, a lot going on most of the year, big open field, museum, river, other hotel near by, music events.  

If it goes on this site, it won't be tall at all as there is just too much space to spread out.

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

I live in Atlanta, but  lived in Richmond for 6 years after college and I check this site weekly to see what is happening in my favorite city.  Anyway, I noticed Atlanta's largest architectural firm has large Richmond project in their most recent retail portfolio publication.  I have to believe this is planned for Downtown given size and density.  Note all of the project renderings appear to be current projects.

See Page 16:  https://issuu.com/coopercarry/docs/cooper_carry_retail_experience_8.20_bdeff9a1e4df40

Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 8.50.25 AM.png

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, cbender32 said:

I live in Atlanta, but  lived in Richmond for 6 years after college and I check this site weekly to see what is happening in my favorite city.  Anyway, I noticed Atlanta's largest architectural firm has large Richmond project in their most recent retail portfolio publication.  I have to believe this is planned for Downtown given size and density.  Note all of the project renderings appear to be current projects.

See Page 16:  https://issuu.com/coopercarry/docs/cooper_carry_retail_experience_8.20_bdeff9a1e4df40

I'm afraid that's not for Richmond, it will be in Alexandria, that must be a typo. 

Check out the news section for the developer. https://stonebridgecarras.com/news

https://stonebridgecarras.com/sites/default/files/WS_StonebridgeCarras closes on key parcels for %24350M Hoffman Town.pdf

• Sad 3

Dang, what an emotional roller coaster ride there for about two minutes!!

Disappointed this isn’t going in Richmond, but something like this needs to go in downtown somewhere.  Thanks for keeping vigilant.  We will land one of those cool projects at some point!

• Like 1

Man yall are always beating me to the punch

Anyway the developer has this to say in the article:

“I want it to be simple and my last project,” said Delforn, 69. “I want it to be developed in a way that when I’m dead and gone 20 years from now, people will drive by it and go, ‘Wow, look at that.’”

Makes me hell of a lot excited for density/height/etc

• Like 2