Richmond Developments

Cotuit

If we are given height information, I think it would be safe to say this would be the tallest all-residential tower in Richmond? Of course we'd have to wait to determine

Anyway, it looks like you just stumbled on a random firm portfolio and found it by chance. I seriously question whether this is an actual proposal or one of those conceptual things firms often do and put on their websites

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best
  • Like 3

On 12/31/2018 at 8:07 PM, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

I seriously question whether this is an actual proposal or one of those conceptual things firms often do and put on their websites

That was my thought.  Usually architect firms keep real proposals away from public view until an official announcement is made. There have been “slip-ups” in the past though.  Could this be one?  At the very least, it looks like this block is seeing interest. 

I like the all residential tower, but a mixed-use tower would be better and might even make it taller.  I think it’d also have a very prominent place in the skyline based on its location.  By the way, this looks more like 24-25 stories/floors based on my count, but unsure of the height. 

11 hours ago, eandslee said:

That was my thought.  Usually architect firms keep real proposals away from public view until an official announcement is made. There have been “slip-ups” in the past though.  Could this be one?  At the very least, it looks like this block is seeing interest. 

I like the all residential tower, but a mixed-use tower would be better and might even make it taller.  I think it’d also have a very prominent place in the skyline based on its location.  By the way, this looks more like 24-25 stories/floors based on my count, but unsure of the height. 

I wouldn't assume that each square is a floor. As someone else pointed out the building to the far left side of the picture is probably the Quirk hotel, which is six stories. This building would have to be significantly taller to be 24-25 stories. I also am not convinced it would be the tallest residential, the tower at Belvidere and Franklin may be taller.

Either way, I agree it doesn't seem official yet but I'm not against it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, RVAbigdawg said:

I like that they are going to possibly bring Apartments into the mix at a future date.   it'll be interesting to watch Westwood become a true neighborhood.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RVAbigdawg said:

I am really curious as to how the apartments will be built.  Trying to fit the 5 story office building as pictured into the corner and then a four story parking deck AND a separate 230- or 250-unit apartment building with a street separating is going to be a really tight fit.  I would expect some height on those apartments!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Icetera said:

I am really curious as to how the apartments will be built.  Trying to fit the 5 story office building as pictured into the corner and then a four story parking deck AND a separate 230- or 250-unit apartment building with a street separating is going to be a really tight fit.  I would expect some height on those apartments!

Hopefully both density and height.

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 1

A very good article from the RTD regarding hospital construction in the Richmond area (also had some photos of construction).  Over a half a billion dollars worth of construction is going on or in the works for area hospitals. The biggest of those obviously is the VCU outpatient tower going up downtown, but there is much more.  Here’s a link to the article and below that, a list of the projects:

https://www.richmond.com/business/plus/hospital-construction-in-the-richmond-area-a-half-billion-dollars/article_840846c2-6fa0-5ba3-89fe-70dc5e1dca04.html

Medical projects

Some health care projects planned, proposed or under way in the Richmond region:

VCU Health System:

• 16-story, 603,000-square-foot outpatient building at the corner of North 10th and East Leigh streets in downtown Richmond. Cost: $349.2 million. Estimated completion: summer 2020.

• 114-bed, 212,000-square-foot rehabilitation hospital being built jointly by Sheltering Arms and the VCU Health System. The facility in being built in West Creek Medical Park, just west of the Short Pump area. Cost: $95 million. Estimated completion: spring 2020.

• VCU College of Health Professions building that consolidates health professions programs from across campus into one building. The eight-level, 154,000 square feet building near 10th and Leigh Streets opens to students in fall 2019. Cost: $87.3 million.

HCA Virginia:

• Chippenham Hospital ER renovation and expansion. The renovation will add 18 additional beds and be completed in three phases including new walk-in canopy and ambulance canopy entrances; a new pediatric ER entrance and renovated space to create 14 pediatric beds; and expansion of critical care area. Full project to be completed in 2020.

• Convert 16 medical/surgical beds at Retreat Doctors’ Hospital to psychiatric beds. The hospital’s 20-bed behavioral health unit has reached maximum capacity many times. Certificate of need application filed in August. Estimated capital costs $2.8 million.

• Add one CT scanner and one MRI scanner at Johnston-Willis Hospital in the new 40,000 square foot Brain and Spine Center completed in July 2018. Certificate of need application filed in October.

Bon Secours Virginia Health System:

• New three-story, 55,000-square-foot medical office building on Libbie Avenue adjacent to the Westhampton School property for which a mixed-used development is planned. Groundbreaking planned in spring  with construction completed in fall 2020. Consolidates pediatric outpatient services located at St. Mary's Hospital and some specialties from the Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU into one facility.

• Renovation of main entrance at St. Mary’s Hospital. Removal of escalator/people mover being replaced by stairs and elevator.

• New 90,000-square-foot, three-story ambulatory surgery center and medical office building on the St. Francis Medical Center campus. The project is in the design stage, with land clearing to start in the first quarter of 2019 and with estimated project completion 18 to 24 months later.

• New 25,000-square-foot medical facility at Richmond Community Hospital at 1500 N. 28th St., along Nine Mile Road. Groundbreaking in 2019. Proposed services include primary care, outpatient behavioral health, outpatient physical therapy and occupational therapy.

• Renovation and upgrade of cath lab area at Memorial Regional Medical Center in Hanover.

• New free-standing emergency room and imaging center in Chester. Certificate of need application filed.

Southside Regional Medical Center:

•  Free-standing imaging center at 210 W. Hundred Road in Chesterfield. Certificate of need application filed.

• Like 2

We may need to start a new thread entitled the “Richmond Marine Terminal and Surrounding Area.”  What a good news story!!  Our little port was virtually nothing in the mid 2000s, but it has steadily grown since 2014.  Because of the success of this port, companies are coming to Richmond to establish distribution centers around the area of the port.  Brother just leased a huge warehouse facility and there are more warehouses being planned and build across I-95 from the port.  This article from the RTD really does a good job explaining where the port was 10 years ago, where it is now, and where it is going.  Another barge is being constructed now, which will total two barges and result in more frequent stops in Richmond (more than the current, 3 times a week).  Check it out here:

https://www.richmond.com/business/plus/barge-service-and-other-improvements-at-richmond-marine-terminal-sparking/article_83b68f4c-afc9-51d9-b37c-bff72be58aeb.html

Just some quick stats from the article (I realize this little port is no Port of Los Angeles or NY, but it’s impressive for a small inland river port!):

Containers shipped

Number of containers shipped by the Richmond Express Barge by year, and percentage increase or decrease from the previous year. 

• 2018: 31,544 (up 31.5 percent)

• 2017: 23,992 (up 22.5 percent)

• 2016: 19,582 (up 34.4 percent)

• 2015: 14,567 (up 26.7 percent)

• 2014: 11,500 (up 44.4 percent)

• 2013: 7.964 (down 1.3 percent)

• 2012: 8,069 (up 84.2 percent)

• 2011: 4,381 (down 26.6 percent)

• 2010: 5,969 (up 36.3 percent)

• 2009: 4,379 (up 2,838.9 percent)

• 2008: 149 (Not applicable)

• 2007: 14 (one month of operation)

Source: Virginia Port Authority

• Like 1

Not to be contrarian, but is having a huge inland port like that actually a benefit for quality of life in Richmond?  Relatively speaking, the port and huge distribution warehouses employ very few people in proportion to their footprint and the ultimate result is many, many more tractor trailers on our local highways that are starting to get distressingly congested.  I have the same reaction when I see the grand announcements of somebody building a new distribution center in Richmond, btw. 

I think you are missing the point here. This is good for the overall Richmond economy, and when the economy does well, people are getting paid/making money allowing for their quality of life to be improved (not to mention the ripple effect distribution centers have on others in the region).  Sure, there may be more trucks on the road (probably negligible), but any major city has distribution centers, which are essential for a diverse and robust economy.  So, no, I don’t ever think of distribution centers the same way you do. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, jbjust said:

Not to be contrarian, but is having a huge inland port like that actually a benefit for quality of life in Richmond?  Relatively speaking, the port and huge distribution warehouses employ very few people in proportion to their footprint and the ultimate result is many, many more tractor trailers on our local highways that are starting to get distressingly congested.  I have the same reaction when I see the grand announcements of somebody building a new distribution center in Richmond, btw. 

What do you propose is best for this part of the city then?

I'm not saying we ban them.  I just don't think we should be incentivizing distribution centers with tax credits, etc.  just as if they were a manufacturing facility or a corporate HQ as distribution centers have a huge footprint, employ relatively few people, and have significant negative externalities.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Icetera said:

I’ll take it, but Walter Parks’ designs are just terrible!  Also, how is this design friendly at the street level (looks like just a wall with no retail, no nothing)?

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Icetera said:

I will be watching this development closely.  It is pretty close to the Mosby Court South housing project.  It will be interesting to see how successful this is.  A new development frontier is being opened.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, eandslee said:

I’ll take it, but Walter Parks’ designs are just terrible!  Also, how is this design friendly at the street level (looks like just a wall with no retail, no nothing)?

Unfortunately, they are probably not planning that far ahead given that this is, as Wahoo said, a "new frontier."  It may be more planned around security, rather than retail spaces that may sit empty for many years.  Hopefully, this and the development on 17th will be a catalyst for more mixed developments in  between.

• Like 3

I used to live in a neighborhood called "South End" in Charlotte, NC, which is about as far from Uptown Charlotte as Jefferson Park is from Downtown Richmond (like, 1 mile). This type of building was extremely common--cheap, 4-story woodframe construction with parking surrounded by walls. No store fronts; zero street presence. It had nothing to do with the safety/desirability of the neighborhood, it was just developers trying to build cheap and fast. The apartments in South End were still very expensive due to proximity to Uptown.

But eventually, the (slight) majority of South End construction started to have street-level retail. And now, the neighborhood is getting 10-15 story steel constructions. Most of those are commercial, but a couple are residential, and it's interesting to see the progression of the neighborhood!

• Like 4