Richmond Developments

Cotuit

• 2 weeks later...

They also mentioned that this new building would complement the Navy Hill project that is proposed.  Speaking of which, there seems to be a lot of “chatter” about this project (the Navy Hill project) again, but no movement yet.  At least it isn’t completely dead yet. I’m still hoping for a new arena at the very least.  Hopefully, a deal can be struck that all can agree on!

On 4/9/2019 at 3:02 AM, RiverYuppy said:

(Large PDF Warning) Here is a copy of the capital improvements plan.

I haven’t read through this yet, but anything of note?

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody attend this meeting last night? Seems like massive potential for this site, but as much as I like to prospect of redevelopment, I shudder to think of what might be built. I envision chain restaurants/retail and cheap-looking residential. Buffalo Wild Wings anyone?  

Almost wish this stays as is unless developers can create some type of character for the area that is unique... Short Pump is great, but not here please. 

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/richmond/-the-time-is-right-developers-see-promising-opportunities-for-arthur-ashe-boulevard/1990520294

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Urbs42 said:

Anybody attend this meeting last night? Seems like massive potential for this site, but as much as I like to prospect of redevelopment, I shudder to think of what might be built. I envision chain restaurants/retail and cheap-looking residential. Buffalo Wild Wings anyone?  

Almost wish this stays as is unless developers can create some type of character for the area that is unique... Short Pump is great, but not here please. 

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/richmond/-the-time-is-right-developers-see-promising-opportunities-for-arthur-ashe-boulevard/1990520294

I'd love to see it split up into separate parcels allowing multiple different developers to come in, but maintain a TOD/PED overlay.   Allowing one developer to come in for the entire project will most likely end up with West Broad Village...

• Like 4

The event was generally a waste of time. No new ideas, no news to share. What's clear is that the entire universe is waiting on the City.  We have been talking about this parcel for at least 15 years. There have been at least 2 solicitations for developers in that timeframe. The City never acted.  The mayor spoke about how the City is landlocked and burdened with 30% of its land area being non-taxable (State, VCU, City owned, etc).  I fear we'll be waiting another 5-15 years due to the City being scared to act. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

The event was generally a waste of time. No new ideas, no news to share. What's clear is that the entire universe is waiting on the City.  We have been talking about this parcel for at least 15 years. There have been at least 2 solicitations for developers in that timeframe. The City never acted.  The mayor spoke about how the City is landlocked and burdened with 30% of its land area being non-taxable (State, VCU, City owned, etc).  I fear we'll be waiting another 5-15 years due to the City being scared to act. 

Man, that is frustrating. This seems pretty straight-froward. As opposed to the coliseum plan, we actually have a pro sports team here in need of a new stadium. It appears there is plenty of interest from private developers that want to invest without the city having to use complex subsidies and tax schemes to make it happen. It's like the city can't get out of its own way on this.   

I’ve been harsh on the city administration before, but in fairness, all interested parties are waiting for the State of Virginia ABC agency dominoes to fall into place. Only after that is solidified can optimal development of the diamond occur. Planning for that, should be going on right now, though....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New Update on the ABC parcel. The VCU concept sounds really exciting adding not only athletic, but academic facilities as well. I have to imagine those buildings and overall development would be much higher quality and aesthetically pleasing versus 100% commercial. 

Would anybody have access to the different plan options that were presented?   

https://www.richmond.com/news/plus/vcu-looks-at-options---with-or-without-baseball/article_223ebd03-2378-5538-8e01-3fff1f366f3d.html

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Sauer is planning to add a 4-story office building and 800 spot parking garage to the Putney Building renovation next to Whole Foods.  Changes to the original plan for the redevelopment are being expedited through Planning, which makes me think a tenant is already lined up.  

https://richmondbizsense.com/2019/06/07/sauer-eyes-new-office-building-800-space-parking-deck-near-whole-foods/

Edit:  Between the two buildings that would be over 120,000 sf of office/retail.  It reads to me that it'll be primarily office and if they have someone lined up, then I'd imagine 600+ employees if it's an 800 space parking garage.

Edited by rjp212
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Sauer is planning to add a 4-story office building and 800 spot parking garage to the Putney Building renovation next to Whole Foods.  Changes to the original plan for the redevelopment are being expedited through Planning, which makes me think a tenant is already lined up.  

https://richmondbizsense.com/2019/06/07/sauer-eyes-new-office-building-800-space-parking-deck-near-whole-foods/

Edit:  Between the two buildings that would be over 120,000 sf of office/retail.  It reads to me that it'll be primarily office and if they have someone lined up, then I'd imagine 600+ employees if it's an 800 space parking garage.

I don’t know...I think I would much rather see a 10- story apartment building there.  Better yet, why can’t they just combine the two projects and make a 14-story building!  Okay, it’s probably because of cost. :(

Oh, and by the way, what is so “BIG” about a 4-story building?  Sheesh!

Edited by eandslee

This project looks pretty good.  I drove past the site this morning.  There’s a  Victorian  duplex in the middle of this lot (the existing building on the map).  The scale and design will go really well here (of course 20 floors would be more exciting). 

• Like 2

While it’s certainly better than what it is replacing and while I’ll be happy to visit it when it is finished, I just hate this one.  What a lost opportunity. 

Good riddance to the old place though.  If this is what we’re getting, I’m happy to see it starting.

7 hours ago, Brent114 said:

While it’s certainly better than what it is replacing and while I’ll be happy to visit it when it is finished, I just hate this one.  What a lost opportunity. 

Good riddance to the old place though.  If this is what we’re getting, I’m happy to see it starting.

In the developers defense, the NIMBYs in that area would not allow residential development in Carytown over their dead bodies. So more retail it is.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

In the developers defense, the NIMBYs in that area would not allow residential development in Carytown over their dead bodies. So more retail it is.

I don’t doubt that. 

I’d be ok with the scale if it had some  green space (like a public square).   A place for performance, staging a protest or a parade, a bandstand, statuary, a fountain (let’s meet at the Carytown fountain at noon).... something civic would have been nice. 

Edited by Brent114