Richmond Developments

Cotuit

I think a good place for it would be where North Boulevard is where the diamond and everything is. Get rid of that crummy little league field and that stinkin Red Roof in it looks pathetic. I think that whole area needs to be revitalized and I think a Sports District would attract lots of vistiors from the burbs. Which that would be one of me plus tourists as well. oh yea I have to say I think if the braves want to build a new Ballpark they should build it where the diamond is implode the diamond and build a new one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is the Richmond downtown population still declining or has it started to stabalize? I'm just curious to see how likely a mass revitalization of that area is.

Is the Richmond downtown population still declining or has it started to stabalize? I'm just curious to see how likely a mass revitalization of that area is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A mass revitalization is already occurring if the fact that the Riverside on the James project has a 2 year+ waiting list full of people that wanna get in on it means anything. There is broad revitalization going on not just in the downtown, but all over the city and out into the older sectors of the suburbs. From Downtown to the Bottom to Manchester to Broad St to the old Cloverleaf Mall area in Chesterfield to the area around Willow Lawn, new life is being breathed into many parts of our area. With regards to the population growth, its been pretty stable for a few years. Most population projections (which still show a periodic decline) are based on past population trends which are quickly changing. I don't know where to find information on the current Richmond city population that isnt a mere projection, but I think it has stabilized and may have already begun to increase finally. The only things truly holding Richmond city back from having explosive yet smart growth IMO are crime, public schools, and taxes compared to the burbs. The new city government with Wilder at the helm is hopefully going to make vast improvements in at least the first two. The counties have relatively low crime rates, awesome schools, lower taxes, and strong population growth rates (Chesterfield county was named 17th in the country for quality of life (from virginia, only fairfax and loudoun were ranked higher)). I'd love to see Richmond catch up in population size to the surrounding counties but I think thats a long time coming if ever (chesterfield and henrico are quickly approaching 300,000 people).

Downtowner- Keeping the diamond in its current location and buiilding up new investment around isn't a bad idea. However, its not the idea the braves will play ball with. I think a sports district even without the baseball stadium could work. this is really going out on the limb but you could even relocate the coliseum near where the diamond is now and leave the ground at the current location of the coliseum for the ever expanding Biotech Park (another example of this broad revitalization) or some other urban commercial use.

Edited by wrldcoupe4

Worldcoupe I love that Idea about Relocating the Coloseum I think its time that we get either a new Coliseum or a new arena which I think a new Arena would be great but then again you'd have to look at Taxpaying from the Taxpayers and all of that other Financial mess.But you never know what will happen with the North Boulevard.

Hey btw, The residential tower in riverside on the james has a different roof than the one that was in all the renderings and models. It is going to be flat instead of mirroring the top of the office tower.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm...don't know what to think about that one. Without a picture i can't come to the conclusion as to whether it's a good design change or a bad one. I am surprised that they've come all this way without releasing an updated rendering of the final product. Lets hope for the best though :) .

Hmm...don't know what to think about that one. Without a picture i can't come to the conclusion as to whether it's a good design change or a bad one. I am surprised that they've come all this way without releasing an updated rendering of the final product. Lets hope for the best though  :) .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well there was an article in the Richmond Times-Dispatch about how some of the new owners were angry that they were not told about it sooner (it was in the paper like last week) actually.... on pg1 of this thread, the picture u used from Ryan Ramsey shows the top of the residential building. Thats as tall as it gets and that is what the top will look like the best anyone can tell. In most people's opinions ive talked to (like on RCW and stuff) it was a pretty bad design change. Hopefully theyll make the best of it though and we'll see what the finished product looks like....

well there was an article in the Richmond Times-Dispatch about how some of the new owners were angry that they were not told about it sooner (it was in the paper like last week) actually.... on pg1 of this thread, the picture u used from Ryan Ramsey shows the top of the residential building. Thats as tall as it gets and that is what the top will look like the best anyone can tell. In most people's opinions ive talked to (like on RCW and stuff) it was a pretty bad design change. Hopefully theyll make the best of it though and we'll see what the finished product looks like....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is slightly irritating that they would do that, but at least its gonna add residential to downtown Richmond. That is the first time this has occured in a while and is still progress whatever the final product looks like.

That is slightly irritating that they would do that, but at least its gonna add residential to downtown Richmond. That is the first time this has occured in a while and is still progress whatever the final product looks like.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, this will be the first serious residential development in the business/financial district of the city. I'm sure more will follow especially if Riverside is a success. If Alcoa would move from its current location along the other side of the canal walk, I know a developer would be bound to pluck it up in an instant to complement the Riverside project with another mixed use. It would be an awesome location for adding some highrises to the richmond skyline. I just wish the downtown office market was as strong as the residential market right now. Damn burbs and their cheaper prices/taxes...

I agree with you worldcoupe.Yea I think so to that if alcoa became vacant someone would pick that up in a heartbeat.I think It would be good to have another mixed-use in downtown richmond .But at least make it taller than Riverside I think they should have at least made that a little taller.

Richmond breaks ground for new condos

From NBC12 News

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Ground is being broken today on a new $20-million development in Richmond. The city is turning the old Cornish Nolde bakery on 26th and Broad Streets into 77 luxury condominiums.

The city hopes the development will help get people to move into the area.

The project is scheduled to be completed in the fall.

The Article

here is a link to Hourican Construction's page on it:

Nolde Bakery Renovation

Edited by wrldcoupe4

Richmond breaks ground for new condos

From NBC12 News

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Ground is being broken today on a new $20-million development in Richmond. The city is turning the old Cornish Nolde bakery on 26th and Broad Streets into 77 luxury condominiums.

The city hopes the development will help get people to move into the area.

The project is scheduled to be completed in the fall.

The Article

here is a link to Hourican Construction's page on it:

Nolde Bakery Renovation

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great news for Richmond. It looks like the downtown condo craze is finally spreading up there.

I mentioned the John Marshall Hotel being converted into apartments and retail... There will also be construction of a new 6 story building near its loading area....

check it out:

Hourigan Const. - John Marshall Residence

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let's hope that Richmond has seen the light! I love the oldness of the city but I wouldn't mind seeing some new trendy high rises complimenting what they now have. Richmond is very unique and has lots of character and can be proud of that! It will be very interesting to see how the blend of old and new towers compliment each other in the future.

Let's hope that Richmond has seen the light! I love the oldness of the city but I wouldn't mind seeing some new trendy high rises complimenting what they now have. Richmond is very unique and has lots of character and can be proud of that! It will be very interesting to see how the blend of old and new towers compliment each other in the future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree...more new trendy towers will come. We just have to fix up the old (there's a lot of it that has been underused over the years) before we really focus on the new. Downtown has an incredible amount of potential. Richmond has loads of companies based here (Wachovia Securities, Genworth Financial, Circuit City, Philip Morris USA, Dominion Resources, Performance Foods, Owens and Minor, Brinks, CarMax, LandAmerica, and on and on). We just need some real, new investment in the downtown. The city needs to make sure new opportunities don't go to the counties. It's also promising that the downtown real estate market has taken off. From 1990-2000, the Shockoe Bottom area's population increased by 368%.

Wow... I haven't heard that stat before. That's interesting.  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Impaq, nice to see you here as well. Richmond needs to represent. Actually, let me restate my stats. I found this in Richmond magazine. "According to the city, Shockoe Bottom's population has increased by 669%, from 199 in 1990 to about 1,531 in 2005." It's only going to keep on growing too. Now i know that the amount of people we are looking at isnt incredibly substantial, but I'd say that kind of growth is pretty good.

Virginia Center for Architecture is opening this weekend in the Branch House on Monument Avenue. It is one of a few Architectural Museums in the country. Here is an excerpt of the story which can be found here: Richmond.com - VCA

"In 2003, that tenant arrived when the Virginia Center for Architecture (VCA) purchased the Branch House for a reported $2 million. Two years and $500,000 of renovations later, the Branch House will open its doors to the public for the first time this weekend as one of the country's few architecture museums.

On Sunday, April 3, the VCA will unveil its inaugural exhibition, Frozen Music, which focuses on celebrated architect Frank Gehry and his most recent accomplishment, the controversial yet undeniably dazzling Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles. The centerpiece of the exhibition is a series of 100 photographs taken by former L.A. District Attorney Gil Garcetti, who gained celebrity when his office was responsible for prosecuting the O.J. Simpson trial."

I'm glad richmond is coming back to life.At one Time I thought richmond was doomed.But I guess I thought wrong.

Happy to hear that Richmond is coming back to life (when did it die?). When I saw the Riverside on the James project, it looked very promising. I defintely hope downtown Richmond (along with the rest of the city) continues to grow.

Edited by Mike D

Happy to hear that Richmond is coming back to life (when did it die?). When I saw the Riverside on the James project, it looked very promising. I defintely hope downtown Richmond (along with the rest of the city) continues to grow.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey MikeD, it's great to see that you are interested in a potential move to the Richmond area. It has a lot to offer to all kinds of people. Feel free to ask any questions you have a we'll do our best to answer them. Richmond never really died, it just fell asleep for a while :) . Also, it might be beneficial for you to talk to Impaq about Richmond given the fact that he moved here from up north. He's also created a great website for Richmond. Hopefully, Richmond fits you :)

Thank you, Wrldcoupe4. It is one of the areas I'm intersted in checking out. I'd defintely like to know more about the job market in Richmond. I've read that Richmond has a sizable amount of companies headquartered there. I would think that would bode well for a strong economy.

So how is Richmond's city night life or even day life for that matter. Does downtown have much to offer? It is terrible to think that I have been in Va Beach now for 9 years and I think I have ventured to Richmond only a couple of times. Usually I just bypass the area on the way to DC.

So how is Richmond's city night life or even day life for that matter. Does downtown have much to offer? It is terrible to think that I have been in Va Beach now for 9 years and I think I have ventured to Richmond only a couple of times. Usually I just bypass the area on the way to DC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Richmond's city nightlife is pretty good. In Shockoe Bottom and the Slip there are nightclubs bars and restaurants. Carytown is always vibrant day and night. It will definitely be much different once Riverside on the James opens and the Lady Bird Hat Building. Once more development builds up around the canal walk, thatll probably be the place to be besides Shockoe Bottom. Also, on Friday nights during the summer, there is Friday Cheers on Brown's Island which is live music food and of course booze. Innsbrook afterhours is pretty cool too. They get a wide range of bands that come in, mostly classic rock legends. Richmond also has a pretty good local music scene. During the daytime, there is tons of stuff to do. Carytown is a must. It's pretty unique. And while VA beach has the beach, we have the Rivah which can be just as much fun. Laying out on the rocks and playing in the rapids at pony pasture or belle island is a blast. If you're a history buff, you could run wild in Richmond for years and never see everything. There's plenty to do. Definitely worth stopping by to check it out on those trips to D.C....