Richmond Developments

Cotuit

I was thinking about the new Philip Morris Research Center being built in downtown when I remembered the Virginia Commonwealth University is also going to be expanding their business and engineering schools!  Wow, when you think about it, there is A LOT of development going on downtown Richmond, development that is definitely going to transform this city to an even greater place.  Here's an article about the newly expanded business and engineering school VCU is getting ready to build (constuction to begin August of this year):

3-10-05vcubiz3_story.jpg

Perhaps as early as this summer, the expansion efforts of Virginia Commonwealth University will begin to revitalize yet another large tract of underused and dilapidated property in the City of Richmond.

The target: about 10 acres of land east of Belvidere Street between Main and Canal Streets. The area currently consists of a motley collection of small, one and two-story cinder block, brick, and wooden buildings, as well as a scattered array of surface parking and empty lots.

As part of VCU's $203 million Monroe Park Campus Addition, this will all be transformed into a corridor of classic academic architecture, complete with landscaped courtyards, vaulted archways, and red brick colonnades

Then, how could we forget 3 more major downtown developments:

The new (proposed) AAA Baseball stadium for the Richmond Braves and accompanying delelopments:

Here's the latest news on that:

http://www.richmond.com/econdev/output.asp...er=2&position=2

A slideshow of renderings (scroll down this page to the 9th paragraph and click "proposal slideshow":

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...d=1031775003080

The new Federal Courthouse (construction is currently underway):

rend_fed_court4.jpg

rend_fed_court5.jpg

rend_fed_court6.jpg

Rockets Landing:

rocketts_landing_rtd_map.gif

012rend_rocketts2.jpg

012rend_rocketts1.jpg

See this site for more renderings - great site!:

http://www.cmssarchitects.com/Rocketts_Landing.php

Edited by eandslee

This was an email release from Richmond Renaissance about the PM announcement:

Richmond, Va. - The Virginia BioTechnology Research Park announced yesterday that Philip Morris USA will begin construction on a new $300 million research and technology center in the Park's downtown campus.

"This is a tremendous development for the greater Richmond region and the Virginia BioTechnology Research Park," said Robert T. Skunda, president and CEO of the Park. "The new research center will help us further develop the critical mass that is necessary when growing and attracting the life sciences industry, and shows that we have truly become the ?New East Coast Center for Biosciences'."

The new facility will be Philip Morris USA's largest capital project since the 1980s, and will be the single-largest private-capital investment in Richmond's history. The main research complex will be on a site bounded by 5th and 7th streets just north of the Richmond Coliseum. Overall the facility will encompass about 450,000 square feet, nearly doubling the company's research space, and be home to more than 500 scientists, engineers and support staff.

The center will be the newest addition to the BioTechnology Park, which already houses more than 50 life sciences companies in eight buildings, filling more than 575,000 square feet of space and employing more than 1,350 scientists, researchers, engineers and technicians in fields that include drug development, medical diagnostics, biomedical engineering, forensics and environmental analysis.

"We're proud to call Richmond home and this announcement is a great example of that pride. Downtown Richmond's transformation continues to gain momentum and we hope this announcement will encourage other companies to think about how they can play a role," said John R. Nelson, Philip Morris USA's president of Operations and Technology.

Over the past decade, Philip Morris USA has dedicated significant resources toward scientific research, new product development and commercialization that might help address the harm caused by smoking. The Research and Technology Center will enhance this commitment.

"Innovation has helped Philip Morris USA become and remain the leading cigarette manufacturer," said Nelson. "This is the next step in that effort, allowing us to develop new technologies that improve the products we currently manufacture and may lead to innovative new products."

Construction of the new research complex will begin this month, and is expected to be complete by 2007.

Talk about a project ready to go...construction begins this month. It was only announced this week. I'm glad we don't have to play the waiting game on this one.

The new federal courthouse in Richmond is underway and has been for some time. The 8 story, $95 million courts project is designed by Robert A.M. Stern. The project will be over 200,000 sf and include parking. It is expected to be completed in 2007. There are some renderings above. Hope that helps answer the question in the HR forum vdogg.

The new federal courthouse in Richmond is underway and has been for some time. The 8 story, $95 million courts project is designed by Robert A.M. Stern. The project will be over 200,000 sf and include parking. It is expected to be completed in 2007. There are some renderings above. Hope that helps answer the question in the HR forum vdogg.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure does, thanks coupe :thumbsup:

This link shows the potential locations within Richmond's riverfront district for new development.

Site 4/5 is the Riverside on the James project which will begin occupancy in may/june 2005.

Site 6 is the Lady Bird Hat building which is being turned into Toad's place, as well as other retail and office.

Site 10 is the Turning basin development which is home to First Market Bank, Morton's of Chicago Restaurant, Pricewaterhousecooper, Richmond Arts Council, Virginia Performing Arts Foundation among others.

Site 11 is home to the future Canal Landing Tower, which will now be a residential tower done by Daniel Corp. The original was supposed to be 18 floors so hopefully this one is the same or higher.

Sites 2,3,7,8 are currently an Alcoa manufacturing facility (it's where Reynolds Aluminum Foil is manufactured). It is prime real estate for entertainment, retail, residential, and office for the canal walk area.

Site 1 is owned by Ethyl Corp. and is next to the Federal Reserve building. It was originally thought of as being the place for a riverfront baseball stadium. However, now I think it would be great to see some tall towers over there, extending the Richmond skyline. 3 or 4 towers could easily fit on the property.

There is supposedly supposed to be a positive announcement in the near future on what will happen to the Central National Bank Building in downtown. The 22 story, 282 ft Art Deco skyscraper on Broad St was built in 1930 but has been vacant for a few years. It has been having difficulty meeting fire code regulation among other issues. Originally, there was a plan to convert it into hotel/condos with some retail given its proximity to the 700,000 sf Convention Center.

There is supposedly supposed to be a positive announcement in the near future on what will happen to the Central National Bank Building in downtown. The 22 story, 282 ft Art Deco skyscraper on Broad St was built in 1930 but has been vacant for a few years. It has been having difficulty meeting fire code regulation among other issues. Originally, there was a plan to convert it into hotel/condos with some retail given its proximity to the 700,000 sf Convention Center.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's hard to believe that building is only 282ft tall. I've seen it in person and it's always looked a lot taller to me.

It's hard to believe that building is only 282ft tall. I've seen it in person and it's always looked a lot taller to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point..I think it seems taller though because its a bit of a distance away from the CBD. There is supposed to be an announcement on this building by early next week at the latest. From what I can gather its use will either be multi-family, hospitality, or a mixture. Great to see a building that has been vacant for some time come back to life. Downtown is really starting to come back to life!

I can't wait to here what hotel its going to be like I said before on Richmondcitywatch.com it would make a great W Hotel.It would also be a great one of te following

Wyndham

Hyatt

Double Tree

W hotel (Already Mentioned)

Ritz Carlton

Hilton (Only if the other deal goes down)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ummmmmm....are you talking about the CNB building? The developer intends to spend $35 million on creating a mixed use development including residential, retail, and office.

Yea i'm talking about the CNB Bank Building. I thought it was suppose to be a hotel and condos.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was the original plan a couple years ago..however the developer that just purchased it has plans for a more mixed use development...I can't wait to hear more news and details. So far all we know is that they will spend $35 million on the project and convert it into retail, residential and office....