Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Ill post this here too:

okay this statement kind of got me thinking about this stuff....

City Development Comment: I know Circuit City is dealing with some business issues with competition these days but why don't they have a flagship store downtown!? They are Headquarterd in Richmond. There should be a downtown store that tourist, offices, VCU students, Fan Residents, and shocko loft people can go to without driving 15 miles. There are tons of old warehouses that would love to be turned into a Circut City.

It's from the answers thing on Richmond.com. Would that be a bad idea? I kind of like the thought of it. If an old warehouse or multistory building was used, perhaps Circuit City could put a museum in an upper floor that showcased the history of electronics (maybe even how Circuit city has changed over the years too) and how they have changed our society. Or maybe it could highlight impacts of electronics in our local history (for example, WTVR-6 is the oldest TV station in the south).

What do you think?

Bubble bar

The former Main Street Beer Co. restaurant and bar will be turned into a martini and champagne bar this summer.

Elizabeth and Rod Bennett plan to open the Martini Kitchen and Bubble Bar in the space on West Main Street between Meadow and Granby streets.

They operated the martini bar in the Hotel John Marshall for 18 months. That location closed in January because the building will undergo renovations.

The former Main Street Beer Co. building has been vacant for nearly a year. "It has a beautiful design inside," she said. "The location makes it perfect."

The couple also operates a martini bar and a restaurant in the Brandermill Inn.

From the TD

sounds great for UofR:

5-06-05UR_front.jpg

University of Richmond breaks ground on Weinstein Center for Recreation and Wellness

Polly Roberts

Richmond.com

Monday, May 09, 2005

....the University of Richmond recently broke ground on its new $12 million Weinstein Center for Recreation and Wellness.

Set for completion in December 2006, the facility will add 26,400 square feet of new space and renovate an additional 32,500 square feet of existing space in the Robins Center. The site is adjacent to the Robins Center, on the baseball field side of the building....

....The new facility will include a three-court gym that can be divided into sections, an indoor elevated running track, two multi-purpose rooms for aerobic and other classes and triple the space for cardiac and other workout equipment.

from here

sounds great for UofR:

5-06-05UR_front.jpg

University of Richmond breaks ground on Weinstein Center for Recreation and Wellness

Polly Roberts

Richmond.com

Monday, May 09, 2005

....the University of Richmond recently broke ground on its new $12 million Weinstein Center for Recreation and Wellness.

Set for completion in December 2006, the facility will add 26,400 square feet of new space and renovate an additional 32,500 square feet of existing space in the Robins Center. The site is adjacent to the Robins Center, on the baseball field side of the building....

....The new facility will include a three-court gym that can be divided into sections, an indoor elevated running track, two multi-purpose rooms for aerobic and other classes and triple the space for cardiac and other workout equipment.

from here

good news for the 1st quarter of 05 for the Richmond metro office market(from advantis real estate 1st Quarter 05 report) here are some highlights:

"Market fundamentals continued to strengthen at the outset of 2005 with overall vacancy (11.1%) at its

Edited by wrldcoupe4

A bit more to add, this time from the industrial report but it applies to Richmond development, particularly conversions, reinforcing what I've said about the Richmond downtown housing market:

"There is no question that one of the biggest trends in the market is that of adaptive reuse of vacant or obsolete industrial product. Older properties used primarily as warehouse, distribution, or manufacturing facilities in the past are finding new life as apartments or condominiums. Often abandoned and forgotten, these properties were nothing more than eye-sores on an aging landscape for years, sometimes decades. A fundamental shift in development has occurred over the last several quarters that has served to transform these buildings....

....The downfall of aged warehouse and manufacturing facilities has turned out be a golden opportunity for developers. The following is a partial list of some of the higher profile conversion projects that are already under way or completed:

Local developer Robin Miller has done some incredible projects....you can find most of them at Monroe Properties... here are just a couple images. There are tons at the site and definitely worth checking out.

Lee School Lofts:

"Soaring columns, copper domes and enormous fan windows make up the dramatic facade of this 1919 school. The original hallways and ramps, which are lined with glazed brickwork, have been kept intact, providing the building with a relic of its past life.

The enormous apartments have original hardwood floors and huge classroom windows. We offer both one and two bedroom apartments, most of which also have two full baths. Ceiling heights range from 10 to 24 feet, allowing for generous loft spaces as well as two-level units."

buildingLee.jpg

Sydnor and Hudley:

"Sydnor and Hundley is an impressive art deco building from 1932. Originally built as a furniture store, we have transformed it into fifty-four one and two bedroom apartments, some with lofts. Throughout this building you will find high ceilings, huge windows and informal floor plans."

buildingSydnor.jpg

Here's the latest news on the Cloverleaf Mall area that will be seeing changes here in the near future:

http://www.countyobserver.com/growth/growth.shtml

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read it and it pisses me off. The gateway association is trying to save part of the mall?!?!? Tear that p.o.s. down. All of it! At least we know the plan is still moving forward. They just don't really know what the actual plan is yet...havent seen you in a while e.

I read it and it pisses me off. The gateway association is trying to save part of the mall?!?!?  Tear that p.o.s. down. All of it! At least we know the plan is still moving forward. They just don't really know what the actual plan is yet...havent seen you in a while e.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, been really busy at work (which could have me underground without a computer for days). Like I said, sometimes it'll be hard to get to the site to post anything, while other days (because I will have so much free time), I'll be all over the board. I know that it is very inconsistant, but unfortunately, the Air Force dictates my schedule. If it were my decision, I'd be on everyday!! Thanks for keeping things going though, while I've been away. Unfortunately, I've got to go away again tomorrow, but I should be on sometime this weekend when I get back. It would be nice to get some more people over here, but it's hard to do unless we advertise somewhere. Somehow, we've got to get the word out about this site. I say we post any and everywhere we can to get the word out on other sites. I know that you've, or someone, has posted on RCW regarding this site. In fact, that's where I heard of it. I like this site a lot because I'm able to escape some of the weirdos that sometimes post on RCW. Anyway, at least this site hasn't been plaged by a bunch of naysayers yet! ^_^

according to a source, details should be announced soon! Daniel is planning a new condominium tower at the Canal Landing site!!!!!

This was the original and outdated plan by highwoods before the land was sold to Daniel which called for more mixed use:

canal_landing_rend1.jpg

The new plan will be most likely all residential with lower level retail fronting the canal walk! The design should be quite different as well. I cant wait for details. A new condo tower in Richmond!

Where did you get your source of information? I hope something soon comes out about this project, however, I'm sort of disappointed that a new design may replace this one. It shouldn't come as a surprise that I like this design so much since I graduated from the University of Virginia. This design is screaming Jefferson. Anyway, I'm still open to other designs...as long as it is a very good one and hopefully include more stories. A 20+ story building would be very nice! Heck, there is demand for it in the downtown area, so it shouldn't be too hard to fill. Especially since ROTJ had a waiting list! We'll see though.

over on rcw....I'm fairly certain that the person that mentioned it is somewhat of an insider into this stuff. He's said before that he knows things that havent been made available to the public. I am assuming the design will be different. The original plan by highwoods called for office/residential/retail/parking. I think they had difficulty meeting leasing goals for the office portion and the site was sold to daniel corp. I really liked the old design, however, it doesnt mean a new one wont be better. The old design was also on 18 floors. I'm praying the new one is 20+. I'm sure it won't compete with some of the new towers in Hampton Roads, but this will be terrific news regardless. Downtown living is hot right now. It seems like they can't build fast enough. ROTJ had a verrrrrry long waiting list. I think Daniel has realized the success of ROTJ and is trying to capitalize on it. I can't wait for a public announcement. I suspect this will be announced within the next week or two.

ROTJ had a verrrrrry long waiting list.

It makes me wonder why ROTJ didn't top out their residential tower considering the waiting list that existed to get a condo there. Seems to me that they would have added more floors as opposed to substracting them. Do you know what happened here? Am I missing some important piece of information to completely understand what they did?

eandslee...RTD mentions something about this....19 story tower. Ill post it in a second

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Demand for downtown riverfront residential space has been so strong that the developers are planning a 19-story condominium tower to be built near the Turning Basin near 14th Street, sources say. Details on that development should be announced soon."

here

Hey, that is great to hear...and we weren't far off when we said we would like to see a 20+ story building there! If I have to, I'll settle for 19 stories. If demand for downtown residential continues to rise, we could probably see more buildings like this go up downtown. I'll keep my finger's crossed!

Chamber building

A Washington developer has made another purchase of a downtown building.

Douglas Jemal bought the Greater Richmond Chamber of Commerce's three-story building at Franklin and Second streets last week.

His Jemal's Chamber of Commerce Building LLC paid $1.675 million for the building. (The chamber is leasing the space for a year while it looks for new digs.)

Last month, another entity he controls bought the Central National Bank Building at Second and Broad streets for $5.2 million. He also owns the former bank building at 7 N. Eighth St.

from here

:) Wr :) ldcoup, I really appreciate your attention to this forum. How you handle it and ur studies is a marvel. Thank you.

Man I'm liking downtown alot this point with all of the stuff hapening down there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edited by burt

:) Wr :) ldcoup, I really appreciate your attention to this forum.  How you handle it and ur studies is a marvel.  Thank you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And maybe someday I'll figure out how to post a message without infringing on someone else's quote. Until then, I'll just keep reading.

hey burt it's great to have you over here. I always enjoyed your contributions over on RCW. Welcome. haha I'm not sure how I balance it with schoolwork either. Not having class until 1:30 helps :) When you post, if you click reply, it quotes the person that posted before. You can simply delete the quotation in the reply window, and write what you would like to say. That's how I do it anyway. Once again welcome and glad to have you here!

hey burt it's great to have you over here. I always enjoyed your contributions over on RCW. Welcome. haha I'm not sure how I balance it with schoolwork either. Not having class until 1:30 helps :)  When you post, if you click reply, it quotes the person that posted before. You can simply delete the quotation in the reply window, and write what you would like to say. That's how I do it anyway. Once again welcome and glad to have you here!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are even easier ways than that. If you just want to make a simple reply without using any smilies, etc. Simply click the "Fast Reply" button and a little box will open at the bottom of the screen for you to type in. If you want to use smilies, post links, images, etc. but do not want to quote anyone then all you have to do is click the "Add reply" button and a completely new screen will open for you to post in. Hope this helps.