Richmond Developments

Cotuit

LOL, well I think a 25k seat indoor arena probably wouldn't make sense in Richmond or most markets. Something in the 15-17k range would be ideal. This would be great for attracting top name music acts, keeping that CAA tourney for years to come as the conference continues to grow. Maybe even score the opening round of the NCAA tourney! I think Richmond did have that one year back in the late 80s-early 90s? Also, what's the deal with the Strawberry hill ampitheater these days? I remember back in it's heyday, almost any group would have at tour stop there. Then all of the sudden it disappeared?

The Strawberry Hill facility was renamed Classic Amphitheatre, but never really took off with its limited capacity of 10,000. Further, it is on the site of that monstrous NASCAR 110,000-seat stadium called RIR (Richmond International Raceway.) The Virginia State Fair also occupied the grounds every October until this year. Its future site, beginning in '09 is across the road from Kings Dominion in northern Hanover County. Now that the fair has moved, perhaps RIR will develop and enlarge the amphitheatre, though not likely in these tough economic times.

And OK, Dbull. I'll go with 18K seats in a new arena if that figure exceeds JPJ in C'ville...but not a seat less!! :thumbsup:

Very little has been said in these pages about Richmond's new Mayor-elect Dwight Jones.

Elsewhere he has been quoted as saying "you're not going to know this city in four years."

I've a notion that downtown is going to get a lot of attention from this man, and that is not to minimize his intentions for the rest of the city.

From the current Style Weekly:

http://styleweekly.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmo...0CF33069AEE1AE0

• 3 weeks later...

I have not seen the hard copy of this week's Style Weekly, but someone told me it has ads advertising Vistas on the James and Presidential Court as both going rental.

I can accept that with Presidential Court, which is the renovated Tucker Hospital at Madison and Franklin Streets, because as a Goodstein property it failed to sell as condos. But Vistas practically sold out, didn't it? How could it be going rental?

Edited by burt

Really Burt? A condo is a glorified apartment. More people would be able to afford them as apartments than condos. I thought they were almost sold out, but maybe a few didn't and they'll rent those? Some may argue it's better to rent these days.

I wonder if they are being rented by the condo owners.

Shak, see if you can pick up a current Style and let us know if you see advertisements about Vistas and Presidential Court switching from condo sales to rental apartments. The person who told me about this shift is usually reliable, but perhaps he somehow misinterpreted the ads.

I'm trying to locate my friend to clarify his report and will be back after I've reached him. I may have simply misunderstood.

Coupe, if you still have the current Style, look on page 14 of the Home Style Supplement. The rather large ad for Vistas on the James reads "New Beginning. First time offer for lease." Then check out: http://www.welcomehomerealtors.net and click Homes for Rent.

I can understand why my friend was confused reading "New beginning...." in the ad. It's probably flippers trying to rent their units.

He could not find more than a small ad for Presidential Court rental.

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

This story from today's RTD perhaps should be in the Richmond Center Stage thread, but it addresses a situation downtown that I think is rotten -- parking!

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loca...-230004/153226/

On my last trip, some open lots wanted as much as $19 to park more than 3 hours. Many other decks are open to "monthly only" parkers. For a city with dozens of parking decks, it's amazing how many of them are of no help to a casual downtown visitor. I drove around several blocks before finding an open lot at 7th and Jackson Streets for $5 flat, though it was one of those "honor" systems where I had to poke the $5 bill into a tiny slot.

I've noticed on other trips that sometimes decks are unattended. In one instance I had to get out of the car and go to an office to get someone to open the gate so I could pay what I considered an exhorbitant amount and get out.

Then there's the Convention Center deck at 3rd and Marshall. Did you know that if there's no attendant, it means you can park there free? That's what I was told when I drove in, then panicked to see no attendant, and called the phone number posted.

The above posted story from today's RTD confuses me because I thought the deck discussed was where The National encourages people to park. And what's with the deck directly on Marshall between 6th and 7th? Is it open to the public?

The block-long deck across 7th Street from the Coliseum rattled me with its policy which I believe read "monthly only."

I hope Mayor Jones names a task force and simplifies the parking situation in the downtown area. Otherwise, it will never be competitive with the suburbs.

I guess I should confess that I live in New York, don't own a car, rarely drive and am therefore mystified by parking regulations. But I do know it's a simple matter to drive and shop in the burbs where there's ample parking.

Edited by burt

This deck is owned by the State and would be the one discussed in the article:

311 N 7th St

It is located directly behind the National Theater.

But isn't it where The National encourages concert-goers to park? I believe their piublicity claims parking is available in a deck behind the theatre. Perhaps they are referring to the one across 7th at Marshall (between 6th and 7th.)

311 N. 7th is used by state employees and I'm sure there's a goodly number of them who work into evening hours, thus rendering fewer and unpredictable spaces to Center Stage for its attendees.

And what were the results of a study by the City, CBD and the State about construction of a deck on the Grace Street lot between 6th and 7th?

Edited by burt

Wow burt, after looking at DT Richmond parking rates they are pretty high. Here in Norfolk you can park at a Tier 1 parking deck for up to 24 hours for $14.00. Two to three hours will only cost you $2.50 at any garage in the city. They may need to take a look at the pricing if they want people to visit DT. I know they can never offer parking for "free" but $5.00 per hour for some is just too high. Though Va. Beach's Town Center does have free parking in their garages, but it's kind of hard to compare "DT VB" and DT Richmond.

On-street parking, where metered, is 25 cents per 30 minutes and many decks charge $3, some $5 per hour during the day. There are early bird specials ranging from $5-10 per day for people who are in a deck by 9 or 10 AM and out after 3-4 PM or so. After 4, most decks charge a flat fee of $3, some $5, for the night.

On-street parking, where metered, is 25 cents per 30 minutes and many decks charge $3, some $5 per hour during the day. There are early bird specials ranging from $5-10 per day for people who are in a deck by 9 or 10 AM and out after 3-4 PM or so. After 4, most decks charge a flat fee of $3, some $5, for the night.

Unless I misread it, the sign at the open lot on Grace between 6th and 7th says the minimum rate is $5 and goes up by the hour to a top of $19. And it doesn't mention any "specials" such as night time discounts. Also, it's one of those damned places where you have to insert notes and hope it gives you change. Once, it took ten bucks from me and I had to call the posted number, then walk three blocks to the 5th and Marshall office to get my $5 refund.

There should be attendants at EVERY garage and lot! God knows, there are enough unemployed people looking for work.

I did find a garage at (I believe) 10th and Canal that only charged a dollar. But, as I've pointed out, I'm not a "regular" in Richmond and don't know all the ins and outs of parking there. But I'm sure there are many more like me who think the situation stinks! Seeing "monthly only" is VERY frustrating when looking for temporary indoor parking and discourages visitors.

Here are some interesting things I discovered in the Church Hill Peoples News. John Murden, a Union Hill resident who teaches school and spends much of his time producing the blog that keeps the world abreast of goings-on in Church Hill, has announced that he will seek Delores McQuinn's seat on City Council if and when she takes over Mayor-elect Dwight Jones' place in the General Assembly. John is a dedicated young man involved in fostering the good life in the East End.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He has posted news that THE ROBINSON THEATER at 29th and Q Streets built in 1937 and abandoned in the '80's after several reincarnations has undergone a life resurgence and will open soon as a community facility offering dance, karate, acting and music. Richmond's Fight the Big Bull, The No BS Brass Band as well as trumpeter Steven Bernstein will take the stage on February 21st. A copy of the original marquee has been mounted on the building's facade. It is not clear who is responsible for the restoration, but area pastors may be involved.

http://www.robinsontheater.org/Site/Welcome.html

I hope Todd Waldo won't object to my posting his photo of the marquee being mounted at The Robinson (scroll down for the picture.)

http://toddwaldo.tumblr.com/post/52771036/...rquee-is-now-up

Perhaps the former East End Theater on North 25th Street will also see a rebirth.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is an old building on the northwest corner of 29th and Broad Streets that has languised after a failed attempt to transform the property into a neighborhood market. It has been aquired by ACORN and is for sale. $400K is the asking price for the 3,719 square foot structure with a full basement.

Edited by burt

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a summary of the RFQ for the new state parking deck by Main Street Center.

This design build solicitation is for the construction of a new parking deck to be located at the parcel of land bounded by 7th Street on the East, 6th Street on the West, East Franklin Street on the North and an alley on the South. It is desired to have a minimum of 1000 spaces for vehicle parking. The new deck will be located adjacent to the Main Street Center (MSC) high rise and provide parking services for Commonwealth of Virginia employees. During the design stage there may be consideration for connecting the new deck and the existing deck at MSC for the Commonwealth of Virginia employees, but have the ability to separate the new deck from the existing deck if the Commonwealth chooses to lease spaces in the new deck to after hours events in the City of Richmond.Sealed qualifications for furnishing the services described herein will be received until 2:00 pm local prevailing time on February 11, 2009 Qualification shall reach the above address by the deadline stated.

Here is a summary of the RFQ for the new state parking deck by Main Street Center.

This design build solicitation is for the construction of a new parking deck to be located at the parcel of land bounded by 7th Street on the East, 6th Street on the West, East Franklin Street on the North and an alley on the South. It is desired to have a minimum of 1000 spaces for vehicle parking. The new deck will be located adjacent to the Main Street Center (MSC) high rise and provide parking services for Commonwealth of Virginia employees. During the design stage there may be consideration for connecting the new deck and the existing deck at MSC for the Commonwealth of Virginia employees, but have the ability to separate the new deck from the existing deck if the Commonwealth chooses to lease spaces in the new deck to after hours events in the City of Richmond.Sealed qualifications for furnishing the services described herein will be received until 2:00 pm local prevailing time on February 11, 2009 Qualification shall reach the above address by the deadline stated.

I'll bet Richmond Center Stage is pleased about the potential for night-time parking.

Is the corresponding block on Grace Street still under consideration for a state/city/private deck? I'd like to see one of the area TV stations set up a studio with windows on the ground level of a Grace Street deck. Verizon is (or has) relocated to 7th and Grace. What are they doing about parking?

And on the subject of "design/build", has anyone any information on the new state complex planned for 8th/9th and Broad?

Isn't the "existing" deck referred to above situated under the Main Street Center building? I don't recall another structure on that block.

Edited by burt

Personally, I think if the state moves forward with a deck at this location, ANOTHER deck a block north on Grace should be forbidden - street retail or no street retail. Save that parcel for a new structure that does more than house cars periodically. We have WAY too many stand alone parking decks downtown.