Richmond Developments

Cotuit

I just wanted to bring this to the new page. Otherwise, speechless!

I'm bringing this forward again so that all can see and read about planned development of Shockoe Center in the middle and last renderings. The ballpark would fit snugly in the area bounded by Broad, Franklin, 18th and whatever that street is close to Main Street Station.

Ooops! It didn't work, but you can go to the October 28th posting in this thread on page 124 to view the renderings. TBurban was successful in bringing forward Wrldcoupe4's original report with renderings.

Edited by burt

I'm bringing this forward again so that all can see and read about planned development of Shockoe Center in the middle and last renderings. The ballpark would fit snugly in the area bounded by Broad, Franklin, 18th and whatever that street is close to Main Street Station.

Ooops! It didn't work, but you can go to the October 28th posting in this thread on page 124 to view the renderings. TBurban was successful in bringing forward Wrldcoupe4's original report with renderings.

Some of my notes from the meeting today:

Development team:

Primary Developer, Project Manager, Office Space development – Highwoods

Master Planning – CMSS Architects

Ballpark Design – HKS Architects

Investment Banking – Morgan Keegan

Multimodal component/train shed/museum, slave trail component – SMBW Architects

Shockoe Residential – Historic Housing LLC

Boulevard Residential – Bobb/Armada Hoffler Development Team

Hotel Development at both sites – TBD

Boulevard Retail – Bobb/Armada Hoffler Development Team

Development Components

Shockoe Bottom Site –

- 200,000+ SF Class A Corp. HQ Highrise Tower (between MSS and I-95)

- Museum dedicated to area’s slave history in old Seaboard Railway Bldg

- $60 million Baseball Stadium: 6,500 Seat stadium with capacity of 8,500; expandable by 2,000 Seats; 20 feet below grade to preserve viewsheds/neighborhood scale

- 80,000 SF entertainment/retail space surrounding new ballpark

- 300 hotel rooms in 2 hotels; 1 overlooking ballpark, 1 between MSS and I-95

- 250 Apartments units (up to 600 units depending on demand); some will overlook ballpark

- 60 condo units; some will overlook ballpark

- 2 new parking decks

- Reopening of Franklin Street beneath MSS to create gateway from parking decks west of I-95 towards Shockoe Bottom/Stadium

- New multimodal transit center: Amtrak service, GRTC transfer center, Central hub for future statwide rail service, future light rail potential

Additonal details can be found here:

http://www.richmondsmayor.com/news-room/20...et-station.aspx

"Shockoe Center"

shockoe1.jpg

looking west from 18th and Broad

shockoe2.jpg

:thumbsup:

Edited by TBurban

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! The city better move forward with this. Having a baseball stadium downtown would really boost the vibe during the summer. Plus, a city of Richmond's size needs either a nice baseball stadium or a nice arena. I don't see an arena in the works so build the freakin stadium!!

Edited by hokiehigh

Gilpin Court to see a new revival according to an inrcih articles, which includes a possible name change:

<a href="http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/RRHA04_20090203-222504/197491/" target="_blank">http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loca...-222504/197491/

http://media.timesdispatch.com/inrich/ric/...n_court/197723/</a>

There is street scape rendering on the upper left area of the article.

If this project can move forward, I will the happiest puppy around. IMO Gilpin Court is the heart of Richmond's poverty.

Edited by Shakman

Shak, there's no name change. Gilpin Court is in Jackson Ward, but it since the city now likes to use highways to divide when they actually cut through neighborhoods, North Jackson Ward would work best. Some call it that already. I can't wait for this to happen as well as with the other projects. I need to show someone my plan to reclaim Woodville from Fairfield Court. Sebree's Addition can come back instead of being Whitcomb Court. Mosby's three sections can be reclaimed by their surrounding neighborhoods. Imagine those units along Mosby St blending in with Fairmount. Along Coalter St, every single apartment needs to be demolished and that portion of Mosby Court and Fair Hill (I think it's Fair Hill) can become either a part of Howard's Grove and Burwell. The northern Mosby I don't think is connected to an existing neighborhood other than Bowling Green. Creighton was created on vacant land I believe and could retain its name or be renamed into something else once its demolished. I don't know much about Hillside's surrounding neighbhorhoods. Manchester and its suburbs are huge mysteries right now.

On the way home from work tonight, I noticed new accent lighting on the facade of the Holiday Inn Express at 2nd and Cary... It's columns of bold blue light shooting upward along the facade between the windows and looks pretty awesome IMO.

Oh yeah. I also saw it a couple of days ago. I also went inside the Lobby. It was very clean and bright.

On the way home from work tonight, I noticed new accent lighting on the facade of the Holiday Inn Express at 2nd and Cary... It's columns of bold blue light shooting upward along the facade between the windows and looks pretty awesome IMO.

Yes. Brent mentioned the Holiday Inn Express lighting in Richmond in Pictures III thread.

Is the Phillip Morris sign still illuminated atop their research center?

Considering that much of the perceived opposition to a ballpark in Shockoe Bottom comes from some vociferous residents of Church Hill, it is surprising that a recent "snap pole" among readers of CHPN support the project by a wide margin. This month (February 2009) 78% voted approval. In an October 2008 poll, the approval percentage was 64%.

Edited by burt

• 1 month later...

Not sure whether or not this is a new project, but I figured I'd post it anyways: 326 East Washington Street - adaptive reuse, mixed-use development. I found it while trying to see what, if any, architects are hiring interns for the summer. Anybody know of any that are? Or landscape architects/urban planners?

It's nice to see a smaller scale mixed-use project like this. I feel that the larger they get, the more they lose authenticity (i.e. West Broad Village) Oh, and I just realized that Richmond doesn't have a Washington St. so it must be in Petersburg.

http://www.comarchs.com/portfolio/adaptive...washington.html

It looks like Commonwealth Architects have updated their website. They still have the 8th and 9th Street Office Building listed as one of their projects. I wonder what's happening with this...

http://www.comarchs.com/portfolio/adaptive...ebuildings.html

This mix use development is in my home town of Suffolk.it's on East Washington st. a once thriving african american area of downtown known as the fairgrounds.The building is an old warehouse that stayed in what appeared to be ruins for at least forty years.I am in awe to see them convert that dilapidated old building into this new development.We really needed it here in downtown Suffolk.

Edited by andyfried

Not sure whether this is new or not either, but this one is definitely in Richmond. There's no description of the building, only renderings. It looks like it could be residential with retail on the ground floor.

Click on 'In The Studio' and then 'Belvidere'

http://www.bobarchitecture.net/

Belvidere was proposed to be at the corner of Belvidere and Grace on the site of the BP station.

Belvidere was proposed to be at the corner of Belvidere and Grace on the site of the BP station.

Do you know anything more about the project? How long has it been proposed? It says it's supposed to begin construction Spring 2009.

Does anyone knbow what's being built beside the 7-11 near Cary and Belvidere? I assume that its apartments but does anyone know how many or what the complex will look like? It is a big site. I'm sure that the businesses at the dorm across the street are glad to see construction starting on the project.

Edited by Brent

Does anyone knbow what's being built beside the 7-11 near Cary and Belvidere? I assume that its apartments but does anyone know how many or what the complex will look like? It is a big site. I'm sure that the businesses at the dorm across the street are glad to see construction starting on the project.

It is an apartment building. I want to say its 3 stories tall, but I could be wrong. I read about it, but I am not sure where. I know the construction materials will be of higher grade than those used for the cary/belvidere apartments, which consisited of vinyl siding. I believe this is an all brick structure.