Richmond Developments

Cotuit

What happened to our Shockoe Bottom thread?

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2009/04/21...oon-to-shockoe/

Looks like this project is moving forward, now known as Bobber Flats.

What an unfortunate name!! They'll probably call the firehouse restaurant Wanda Sue's Diner.

Wonder if Johannas Design is still involved?

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen it yet, but that's what I heard was going on.

Here's an article on a residential project in Manchester next to the Old Manchester Lofts:

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2009/06/15...-in-manchester/

If you and Tommy are referring to Main Street Station (MSS), it has been illuminated for some time. My "wallpaper" is a an after dark photo by Ryan Ramsey taken from Church Hill a couple of years ago showing buildings in The Bottom as well as the skyline. Right in the middle is MSS all lit up for the world to see. Of course, Ryan used his photographic genius to make everything look larger and better than they really are. :thumbsup:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding Manchester, the first "improvement", even before Legends Brewery, was a chain restaurant called THE SPAGHETTI FACTORY which flourished in the 1970's/1980's. It took up a full block on the river side of Commerce Road and whatever is the parallel street (9th?, 7th?). It is now the home of a well known Public Relations firm.

Edited by burt

• 5 weeks later...

GRTC gets $2.3 million grant

The Greater Richmond Transit Company received the grant from the Department of Transportation to fund the new bus administrative and maintenance facility being built in Southside. A portion of the money will be used to purchase two new buses to replace outlived vehicles.

The current site of GRTC

GRTC gets $2.3 million grant

It will be so nice when that lot opens up for development. The article didn't mention anything on a completion date of the Southside Admin and Maintenance Facility, does anyone know it off the top of their heads?

This story in today's RTD says that GRTC plans to move into its new southside quarters at the end of this year:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loca...-222205/279994/

Tommy and I were discussing the triangle lot that Dominion owns in the Richmond in Pictures III thread, but I figured it would be better to continue here. I think I first became familiar with that property when I was looking through the Downtown Master Plan (this link to see what Richmond came up with for that property). I didn't realize we had such a great development opportunity right in the middle of downtown.

Anyways, I read this article a while back (which I thought I bookmarked but can't find now; pretty sure it was here http://nreionline.com/) and it talked about how many international real estate investment companies (mainly from Europe) are now looking into smaller cities to invest. They mentioned Richmond and a few others that I don't remember. I think if the word gets out about this property and its development potential, we could get a really nice tower here someday. I envision a mixed-use tower, and something more contemporary than what was in the master plan. I drew up some sketches a while ago, which I'll try to find and post sometime. According to the Richmond Parcel Mapper, and as of January 09, the land value is around $2,000,000. I would suspect that Dominion would want more for it!?

• 2 weeks later...

For you thrill seekers out there... you may have heard that King's Dominion is building a new coaster for 2010. Official announcement is coming towards the end of August. I wonder what kind of impact this could have on Richmond considering it's supposed to be one of the tallest (according to rumors) in the world. Check out these sites for rumor talk and updates.

http://www.youtube.com/user/coastercrew

http://www.kdfansite.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=53

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=10611520

Also I wonder now that Cedar Fair (who owns Cedar Point) took ownership of Kings Dominion, if they will continue to make significant investments and sort of turn KD into their signature park (heard that from somewhere else), due to its proximity to DC and good overall location on the eastern seaboard. This could potentially be good for Richmond!?

Edited by evanf

WOW! Is there a 300-foot coaster anywhere on the Planet? Whether or not there is, this Giga Coaster should raise Metro Richmond's place a few pegs on the World map. But I've heard that Carrowinds outside of Charlotte is also building a massive roller coaster. The two parks are co-owned I think.

Nice to see Phil Riggan's name on the Channel 12 NBC story. He took some fabulous photos while on the RT-D staff.

The Buckingham Line rail track (former C&O) runs right along the edge of Kings Dominion from Main Street Station and crosses the CSX Main Line a mile or two further on. Maybe sometime in the future a commuter loop could run from MSS to KD thence connect to CSX and return to Richmond via Ashland and Staples Mill to MSS. Perhaps high speed excursions could run between DC and KD.

The new Virginia State Fair is just east of Kings Dominion on both sides of Route 30 and I'm told there is a tunnel under the highway connecting the two sections.

Edited by burt

I'm surprised no one posted this here, another great infill development on Broad from Church Hill People's News:

Moving forward at 2001 East Broad Street

000011-420x219.jpg

000001-420x251.jpg

This is the current rendering for the proposed 74-unit mixed-use development at 2001 East Broad Street. If the process proceeds as expected, construction could begin this winter.

Edited by TBurban

I'm surprised no one posted this here, another great infill development on Broad from Church Hill People's News:

This would be between 20th and 21st Streets on the south side of Broad. Is that row of town houses that were built within the last five years between 19th and 20th? There are a couple of trashy looking lots in and around Broad, Grace and that immediate area. It would be good to see them cleaned up.

WOW! Is there a 300-foot coaster anywhere on the Planet? Whether or not there is, this Giga Coaster should raise Metro Richmond's place a few pegs on the World map. But I've heard that Carrowinds outside of Charlotte is also building a massive roller coaster. The two parks are co-owned I think.

Nice to see Phil Riggan's name on the Channel 12 NBC story. He took some fabulous photos while on the RT-D staff.

The Buckingham Line rail track (former C&O) runs right along the edge of Kings Dominion from Main Street Station and crosses the CSX Main Line a mile or two further on. Maybe sometime in the future a commuter loop could run from MSS to KD thence connect to CSX and return to Richmond via Ashland and Staples Mill to MSS. Perhaps high speed excursions could run between DC and KD.

The new Virginia State Fair is just east of Kings Dominion on both sides of Route 30 and I'm told there is a tunnel under the highway connecting the two sections.

This is the current top ten, so this one would be number 5 at worst. Also, Carrowinds does show they are owned by Cedar Fairs, so you are correct on the two parks sharing parent companies.

1. Kingda Ka - Six Flags Great Adventure - Jackson, NJ, USA - 456 feet (139 m) May 2005 - Present

2. Top Thrill Dragster - Cedar Point - Sandusky, Ohio, USA - 420 feet (130 m) May 2003 - May

3. Steel Dragon 2000 - Nagashima Spa Land - Nagashima, Mie, Japan - 318 feet (97 m) August 2000 - May 20034

4. Millennium Force - Cedar Point - Sandusky, Ohio, USA - 310 feet (94 m) May 2000 - August 20005

5. Thunder Dolphin - LaQua - Tokyo, Japan - 263 feet (80 m)

6. Fujiyama - Fuji-Q Highland - Fujiyoshida, Yamanashi, Japan - 259 feet (79 m) July 1996 - May 20007

7. Fuji-Q Highland - Fujiyoshida, Yamanashi, Japan - 249 feet (76 m)

8. Titan - Six Flags Over Texas - Arlington, Texas, USA - 245 feet (75 m)

9. Silver Star - Europa-Park - Rust, Baden Wuerttemberg, Germany - 240 feet (73 m)

10. Goliath - Six Flags Magic Mountain - Valencia, California, USA - 235 feet (72 m)

Edited by Icetera

Hat tip to JasonB - The hideous aluminum facade of the Richmond Glass Bldg on Broad street is being removed to reveal the original facade beneath!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/f33/2240036833/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deadrichmond/...57604134234418/

I hope it truly will be restored to the 1907 original. Notice in the site there is a thumbnail flickr shot of another fascade after the original and before the horrible aluminum cladding. I'm sure the staircase that was immediately inside the center entrance is long gone, but I recall rail viaducts from the second level crossing Marshall, Clay, Leigh and other streets to a small rail yard approximately across Brook Road from the present Main Post Office. In fact, there was at least one old Ashland Interurban car parked there, but I don't recall trackage beyond that point along Brook Road and the old right of way to Ashland. I think the ROW had been abandoned before my memory process began. :)

I know I know... where have I been...

Well, Im sure Ill get to explaining that sometime soon...

But lets just say I am back for the time being...

Some insider information on this project, re-zoning and special use portion of this project will go forward as planned... expected building though will be contigent on the ever-present issue of funding. Banks aren't necessarily balking at this project, but they want to see some more 'real estate' momentum in the area first. Expect those numbers to be good by the end of this year. On my street (33rd) there are 17 homes being renovated or built within a 4 block walk in either direction. Taking standard statician junk and applying that to all of the proximity of Church Hill, Id say the 'real estate' numbers will back a solid uptick of investment funding. Should help this project along.

WrldCoupe send me a pvt message when you get a chance through here... got a question for you.

Glad to have you back journyin. Hope you stay with us for good this time. Might not be a whole lot to report right now on richmond but I hope you know some stuff that we don't know. Its been a bummer not hearing all of these exciting development stories like we have heard for the past several years.

Hat tip to JasonB - The hideous aluminum facade of the Richmond Glass Bldg on Broad street is being removed to reveal the original facade beneath!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/f33/2240036833/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deadrichmond/...57604134234418/

Isn't it just terrible how, in the name of "progress," these beautiful, historic facades were covered up the first place? I wonder what the condition of the original facade will be once the aluminum is taken down? In Little Rock, one historic building's original facade didn't fare so well after decades of being covered up by a fake one:

p1040200ll8.jpg

p1040217is6.jpg

p1040273.jpg

p1040275.jpg

(photos courtesy of forumer Skirby)

The building behind the facade seems to be pretty well intact. Some of the masonry work has been chiseled off but the balustrade is still intact. I don't recall any other building with one of those along the roof line. Even in its current torn up state, its the most handsome building west of Belvidere already. I'm really excited about this, had no idea that it was even in the works. I'll get some photos this evening.