Richmond Developments

Cotuit

here it is...

down003.jpg

Hey, thanks Brent. It looks great!

I hope they carve out that niche under the arch like it was in the original. The ballustrade is terrific.

Has anyone knowledge of what will occupy the building?

East of Belvidere the Empire Theatre between Adams and Jefferson Streets had a wonderful fascade with a carved out niche. Hopefully it will be restored someday.

Meanwhile, several other nice buildings WEST of Belvidere are:

Old Capital Garage at Ryland which was converted to apartments. (It had scaffolding around it 2 weeks ago.)

The Firestone building at Lombardy.

The Sauer Extract building at Meadow.

The Bookbindery west of Allen.

Putney Shoe Factory (part of the DMV complex) across from The Book Bindery which I've heard is to be demolished.

And, King of 'em all -- Union Station, now the Science Museum of Virginia, between Davis and Robinson.

And since the US Saunders Post Office west of Lombardy is closing, what will happen to it? It's in the block with the Firehouse Theatre and The Camel across from Lowe's.

Edited by burt

It is a shame that they are closing that post office. I hate seeing basic services leaving the city core just as the population here is increasing. Yes, Union Station is a more handsome building. I'm just really excited that there will be some sort of iconic building in this fairy bland stretch of Broad Street. The new Anderson gallery will be a great addition too. I

It is a shame that they are closing that post office. I hate seeing basic services leaving the city core just as the population here is increasing. Yes, Union Station is a more handsome building. I'm just really excited that there will be some sort of iconic building in this fairy bland stretch of Broad Street. The new Anderson gallery will be a great addition too. I'll be sad to see the current one close though, I worked there for 4 years during my time at VCU.

Ah, yes, charming Anderson Gallery tucked away up that alley. I remember it from the 1940's before it was a prominent gallery when VCU was RPI. Among other drawbacks, It simply isn't friendly to the disabled. But the building will not be demolished. I do wish its planned replacement were a tad more daring in design. Thankfully, Dean Tuscan, Jayne Shaw and others prevailed upon benefactors to reconsider the site adjacent to the renovated stable that is The Brand Center on Jefferson Street in favor of Belvidere and Broad.

Speaking of VCU, I understand that the Shaffer Street Theatre has gone to seed. I saw many a play on its miniscule stage. Prior to construction of the Singleton Center complex at Harrison and Park the University converted an archetectually interesting Shriners Hall on that site to performance space.

Meanwhile, on the subject of restored fascades, a wonderful job was done when the Colonial Theatre at 8th and Broad was demolished. The entire original front of the building was saved and incorporated into a new mid-rise structure. It's a beauty. Now the Broad Street block between 7th and 8th is quite handsome with the restored National at 7th, the restored Colonial fascade at 8th, both on the north side of Broad, and the new Fed Court House taking up the entire south side of Broad between 7th and 8th.

Edited by burt

Yup... Im back...

I think we might need to recognize a blossoming single family and row home boom in the downtown, church hill, fan, oregon hill, and several other close in areas. Development is going in that direction it would seem. And we all know, businesses follow what? Occupied rooftops... just a matter of time ladies and gents... just a matter of time...

For you thrill seekers out there... you may have heard that King's Dominion is building a new coaster for 2010. Official announcement is coming towards the end of August. I wonder what kind of impact this could have on Richmond considering it's supposed to be one of the tallest (according to rumors) in the world. Check out these sites for rumor talk and updates.

http://www.youtube.com/user/coastercrew

http://www.kdfansite.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=53

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=10611520

Also I wonder now that Cedar Fair (who owns Cedar Point) took ownership of Kings Dominion, if they will continue to make significant investments and sort of turn KD into their signature park (heard that from somewhere else), due to its proximity to DC and good overall location on the eastern seaboard. This could potentially be good for Richmond!?

This story from today's (8/20/09) RT-D says the new roller coaster at Kings Dominion will be the tallest on the east coast:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business...coaster/287237/

Here is a video simulation of Kings Dominion's newest $25million roller coaster expected to carry its first daredevil riders next spring. It's called, for good reason, The Intimidator.

From today's RT-D:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/travel/r...-212602/287337/

Well I guess that puts Intimidator right after Millennium Force at Cedar Point as far as height making it the 6th tallest in the world. It'll also be in top 10 for speed. Not bad!

Carrowinds stradling the NC/SC border in Metro Charlotte is also getting an Intimidator rollercoaster. It will be about 75 feet shorter than the one at Kings Dominion. That has got some Carolinians twisting their breeches in anger and envy since they say Dale Ernhart whose name is associated with both coasters is "their NASCAR man."

Maybe KD was selected over Carrowinds for the bigger ride because Central Virginia combined with the nearby DC Metro has more potential customers.

Edited by burt

It's been a while since I've driven and walked around the city!

Here are a few notes..

Williams Mullen Center looks great! I really like the shade of glass they've used..and it looks like installation of it is almost complete.

M/WV HQ is by far one of the most gorgeous buildings downtown. Has anyone seen the landscaping they've done around it and the Canal Walk?! It's insane!! The plant choices compliment the area SO well, and it's so full; it looks like it's been there forever.

The Capital Trail/Canal Walk East extention is coming along really well, too. They've installed landscaping, new light fixtures and planted seed on the eastern portion as work continues on the western half under the train tressel. It looks like plenty of new lighting will be going in, along with more trees and shrubs. It makes the drive to Rocketts from the Canal Walk sooo much nicer! Does anyone know if they will be cleaning up/taking out that overgrown brush along the canal?

I had no idea about this one, but it was a pleasant surprise. It looks like Byrd Park is getting some sort of information/rental stand on the lake for paddle boats. I didn't bother to get out and check it out first hand, but that's what it looked like from the car. The architecture is very well suited for the park and looks fantastic on the western edge of the lake. They looked like they could have been a place for restrooams too..so someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Last but certainly not least..CenterStage. WOW! The banners, landscaping, signs, everything looked gorgeous! What a transformation! It's a completely different building, and the way they've tied in the old Thalhimer's building aka the new Dorothey Pauley Square is flawless. The modern accents compliment the Caprenter Theatre perfectly. I was blown away..it's almost unrecognizable compared to it's state before the renovation. The ticket/box office out front still had plastic wrap around it so I couldn't make out how it would look unwrapped, but you could certainly tell it had been refurbished to its old glory.

So there you have it..just a few observations from a quick drive through the city. Next time I'll bring the camera :)

Your college courses Tommy including the Richmond Appreciation class is paying off for all of us. Thanks for your appraisals of downtown activity, especially along the Capital Trail. Do you think they will light the rail trestles in blue as they have done with the spaghetti works near MSS? Have you heard anything about Norfolk & Southern repairing their rail bridge across the canal near Great Ship Lock Park which would allow access to the river?

If you get a chance, suggest the ship shops that Cam, Coupe and I have proposed.

One of the recent updates of The Richmond CenterStage pictured the box office with its four stations, but I have a notion you are referring to the kiosk under the marquee which has not served as a box office since Loew's closed down in 1983.

Edited by burt

I can only seem to get out near dusk... so some pics can be blurry... plus they're drive-bys mainly. From 8/24, last Sunday, and Monday. I may go tomorrow and get brighter, clearer pics. Anyway to compliment Tommy's post.

100_6538.jpg

100_6510.jpg

100_6514.jpg

100_6516.jpg

100_6541.jpg

100_6542.jpg

100_6580.jpg

100_6581.jpg

100_6583.jpg

100_6535.jpg

100_6539.jpg

100_6540.jpg

Edited by Cadeho

Those are awesome, Cam!! Thanks for supplying the photos. Fall is coming, how about that photo tour sometime around my Thanksgiving break? :D

I think a continuation of the blue floodlights on the train trestles would be an awesome idea! While I don't think it's in the plans..it's most definitely worth suggesting. Imagine how cool they'd look reflecting in the river from 95!

I passed by Great Ship Lock and saw heavy construction equipment on-site but couldn't tell what they were there for. It just looked like overnight parking for equipment being used on the Canal Walk. I'd imagine they're working on it though since they're improving that whole area of the canal/riverfront. Once something is done with the Intermediate Terminal, the Echo Harbour property and the Reynolds property there will be a solid connection of the riverfront from Tredegar to Osbourne!

You're right about CenterStage, it was the kiosk that's under the marquee outside. It's jaw-dropping.

Edited by TBurban

Thanks Tommy. I'm not sure what touring I can do ... I've covered downtown, Church Hill, Union Hill, Fulton, and Manchester in their entirety. I have half of Fulton Hill and I think in the winter I'll try Fairmount and Chimborozo, I would like the company.

Great photos, Cam.

As Tommy reported, landscaping is underway at Mead WestVaco which will enhance views for attendees at the October Richmond Folk Festival.

Do you remember, Cam, when the parking garage was built extending over the Downtown Expressway it was promised the building would be hung with greenery? They reneged on their promise. Maybe Williams/Mullen will rethink the situation, even if it's just kudso.

If you and/or Tommy go to the Sunday, September 13th free open house tour of Richmond CenterStage between 1pm and 4pm, look for the old guy in a boot hobbling around and say hello.

I have one question. Will we ever get any new proposals soon for development because once all of our current development projects are complete is it just gonna be quiet untill times get better or do you think something is gonna pop up soon for downtown to give us some more activity once all of our current projects are done in the city? I mean I have been thinking about this for a while now. I mean once Centerstage and everything else is done its just gonna seem quiet with nothing going on as far as development goes. I enjoy going downtown to take pictures of projects but my camera has been broken for over a year now and I haven't had the time to get a new camera to go back downtown and take some new pictures. I am currently at J Sargeant Reynolds and hope to transfer to VCU soon for Advertising and Marketing. Currently I have a cousin that works for a firm in Manchester called Circle S Marketing. She was a former Wachovia Securities employee that chose to leave because she didn't want to move away from family since all of my family lives here in Richmond and other parts of Virginia. Great Pictures Cam it makes me wanna buy a camera so badly now. I have seen some good deals on ebay that I would attempt if I had the money right now. Might wait till my birthday in November to get a new Camera and I will be 21 years old then so I just know someone in my family is gonna play a 21 year joke involving beer. But sorry for being so inactive here as I have been doing more lurking and reading then posting my own ideas and thoughts.

Brent, thanks for jarring my memory. Yes, I do recall an attempt at greening the parking deck. Perhaps James Center and Williams/Mullen will try again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miklos, can't wait to enjoy all the city pictures you've posted, including those of Richmond at http://www.picasaweb.google.com/miklospogonyi.

Meanwhile, check out (if you haven't already) Richmond in Pictures threads I, II and III. They are full of pix showing the city's downtown density.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1:00 PM.

Miklos, so far I've looked at Utica (because old theatres like The Stanley fascinate me) and your excellent 76-picture coverage of Richmond. As time allows, I'll go on to other locations. Two minor comments: The odd street name of Foushee does not have an "n" following the "u" and in Picture #20 of The Landmark Theatre, it is Virginia Commonwealth University which lies behind the theatre, not Va. State U. which is 20 miles south of Richmond.

This collection is a treasure. Many, many thanks for sharing.

Edited by burt

No density, no urban context, no soul; only hunks of concrete. I love Richmond, but these pictures (Carpenter Center excepted) put the great city in the worst possible light. Sorry.To see the best of Richmond, check out www.picasaweb.google.com/miklospogonyi

These pics, as stated, were to compliment Tommy's (Tburban's) post related to those projects.

Edit: miklos, nice pics. I'd love to visit a lot of those cities one day. I've done a lot of similar pics of Richmond.

Edited by Cadeho

New Workforce Development Partnership Center at J. Sarg. Maybe Downtowner would be able to help us out with this one?? I really like the rendering they've included in the article. Here it is:

http://www.henricomagazine.com/tpl/article.php?articleId=82

There are talks of building a JSRCC campus in Eastern Henrico.

Edited by evanf