Richmond Developments

Cotuit

New Workforce Development Partnership Center at J. Sarg. Maybe Downtowner would be able to help us out with this one?? I really like the rendering they've included in the article. Here it is:

http://www.henricomagazine.com/tpl/article.php?articleId=82

There are talks of building a JSRCC campus in Eastern Henrico.

I have noticed the old library in burnette hall has been taped off which I guess is for the new faculty offices and class rooms. I haven't noticed them working on anything around campus other than some new sidewalks but I have noticed that we have had a huge enrollment in students at sarge. Our Parking Lots at sarge have been completely full every day at the Parham Road Campus. The new Library and Technology Center is now in Massey Technology Hall which is the newest building on the Parham Road Campus and is right next to Georgiadis Hall. The Massey Technology Hall was completed and opened up for the first time for the fall of 2008 Semester. I had classes in it when it first opened up and it is unlike any other building I have ever seen on campus. It is truly a great addition to the campus. But as far as the Eastern Campus goes I have not heard a thing about it other than a few years ago before I went there as I know then it was a vision for the future. The Workforce Center they are talking about I had heard of but I haven't seen any construction on it.

Brent, thanks for jarring my memory. Yes, I do recall an attempt at greening the parking deck. Perhaps James Center and Williams/Mullen will try again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miklos, can't wait to enjoy all the city pictures you've posted, including those of Richmond at http://www.picasaweb.google.com/miklospogonyi.

Meanwhile, check out (if you haven't already) Richmond in Pictures threads I, II and III. They are full of pix showing the city's downtown density.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1:00 PM.

Miklos, so far I've looked at Utica (because old theatres like The Stanley fascinate me) and your excellent 76-picture coverage of Richmond. As time allows, I'll go on to other locations. Two minor comments: The odd street name of Foushee does not have an "n" following the "u" and in Picture #20 of The Landmark Theatre, it is Virginia Commonwealth University which lies behind the theatre, not Va. State U. which is 20 miles south of Richmond.

This collection is a treasure. Many, many thanks for sharing.

Thanks for your generous comments, Burt, and also for the corrections which I will make. I still have trouble navigating this site and can't seem to find the Richmond in Pictures threads you cite; can you help? Do you live in Richmond? I'm in Philadelphia but Richmond is by far my favorite Southern city.

By the way, since you are interested in old theaters and their fate (I am too!) I have a"Theaters" tag at my pictures site that will bring up tons of theater pictures from numerous cities.

Miklos, I've brought the Richmond in Pictures series to page 1. Just scroll down and you'll find them. Most are by our "ace" photographers, Wrldcoupe4, Cadeho and TBurban, though many others have contributed.

I live in Manhattan but spent at least 40 of my 81 years in Richmond. I was born there and can't get it out of my blood. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12:30PM.

Ah ha! I found the tag for theatres in your galleries and am about to launch into viewing them. Thanks, Miklos.

Edited by burt

I can only seem to get out near dusk... so some pics can be blurry... plus they're drive-bys mainly. From 8/24, last Sunday, and Monday. I may go tomorrow and get brighter, clearer pics. Anyway to compliment Tommy's post.

100_6538.jpg

100_6510.jpg

100_6514.jpg

100_6516.jpg

100_6541.jpg

100_6542.jpg

100_6580.jpg

100_6581.jpg

100_6583.jpg

100_6535.jpg

100_6539.jpg

100_6540.jpg

Cam, Could you move the six pictures of the performing arts center to the Richmond CenterStage thread? They are excellent photos and are the most up-to-date shots of the exterior. Thanks.

Ahh, look what I found. Plans for the large warehouse beside the pool at Rocketts Landing.

http://www.cmssarchitects.com/village_hall.php

And here is a pretty old pdf, but if you scroll maybe a third of the way down to where you see the Phase One renderings, if you look to the right of the proposed Riverbank Terraces (the town homes in the foreground) you'll see what appears to be a restaurant!? Has anyone peeked through the arched opening here before? It's one of the coolest looking spaces ever. They've got sort of an atrium (more like rock that's fallen through) right at the entrance with vines that have grown over it and provided a sort of canopy - it looks really cool. I hope there are plans for this space in the future.

http://www.realestate.vcu.edu/pdf/Regional...ent%20Panel.pdf

Edited by evanf

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering what you guys think about developing Shockoe Bottom. Should it be developed, and how? I have some ideas, but nothing concrete yet...I want to think some more about it. At a recent town hall meeting, Richmond City Council VP, Ellen Robertson, encouraged attendees to think about how they want to see it developed. Unfortunately, half the meeting ended up being about citizen concerns and complaints, which no doubt, are also important, but that wasn't the aim of the meeting. Anyways, you can see a recording of it here:

http://richmond-telegraph.blogspot.com/

Also, if you want to get a better idea about Echo Harbour, I would recommend watching the "Echo Harbour Presentation" from Sept. 1st, a little further down the page. You can tell this is getting really old for Mr. Theobald of Hirschler Fleischer.

I'd love to see more retail and office space in Shockoe with buildings that match various styles in the Bottom from the Colonial period to the early 1900s. They can build on top of parking and have parking decks in the interior of the blocks with businesses ringing the deck. I'd like to see something that's bring families back to Richmond.

I'd love to see more retail and office space in Shockoe with buildings that match various styles in the Bottom from the Colonial period to the early 1900s. They can build on top of parking and have parking decks in the interior of the blocks with businesses ringing the deck. I'd like to see something that's bring families back to Richmond.

I would like to see retail and office as well. What about flooding though (since the businesses would be on the ground floor)? What about having all the businesses at least one story off the ground? I know that's somewhat odd, but what is a creative solution that could make that look good? And how would you be able to tie this development in to the existing urban fabric of Shockoe Bottom (considering all businesses would be at least 10 feet off of the ground)? This is the only way that, in the chance of a flood, you could prevent serious damages to the businesses. I mean, maybe there are other ways, but I couldn't think of any. I would also like to see residential as well, and most of all, some sort of public space (plaza or park/garden). I'm still working on visualizing a plan/design. Does anyone know the exact blocks that encompass the proposed area for development?

• 3 weeks later...

Another waste of money.

Richmond to consider four roundabout proposals individually

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loc...-220604/300574/

They already had a huge roundabout at Hull and Belt. It was removed, from what I read, because of some horrible accidents. I can't see how they could fit roundabouts at 23rd and Fairfield and 25th and Nine Mile. What's next, a roundabout in every intersection?

Another waste of money.

Richmond to consider four roundabout proposals individually

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loc...-220604/300574/

They already had a huge roundabout at Hull and Belt. It was removed, from what I read, because of some horrible accidents. I can't see how they could fit roundabouts at 23rd and Fairfield and 25th and Nine Mile. What's next, a roundabout in every intersection?

IF done right, roundabouts can be a good thing; especially if some sort of decorative artwork is located in the center.

Edited by Shakman

IF done right, roundabouts can be a good thing; especially if some sort of decorative artwork is located in the center.

You forget what city we're talking aout here. There's no need for one at Nine Mile and 25th or Fairfield and 23rd.

Hippodrome renovation set for $600,000 boost

The historic theater and adjoining Taylor Mansion on North Second Street—once the center of African-American nightlife and entertainment in segregated Rich mond—would open by April 2011 as a live-music venue and theater known as The Hipp, according to a proposal submitted to the City Council.

The $12 million restoration project has been approved by the Virginia Department of Historic Resources and would also provide residential and retail space, a restaurant and audio-video production facilities.

Looks promising!

You forget what city we're talking aout here. There's no need for one at Nine Mile and 25th or Fairfield and 23rd.

It does not matter what city. If done right, a roundabout can bring positives to them. Remeber, there is always two different sides to a coin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mark your calendar for an interesting event on December 16th.

Venture Richmond is one of the sponsors of the Annual Downtown Real Estate Review. 20 developers will discuss more than 40 downtown developments. And if you haven't been inside yet, this is a chance to check out Richmond Center Stage.

The morning session in The Carpenter Theatre is on Wednesday December 16th from 7:30am until 9:00am.

A repeat session will be the same day, same place from 5:30pm 'til 7PM

It's FREE, but registration is required.

I don't know how to post the registration form but Venture Richmond, I'm sure, will be able to tell you how to get one. Call 804/788-6466.

• 2 weeks later...

Should the Richmond Coliseum undergo a few million in repairs in order to hold on to the CAA March Madness basketball tournament and be more attractive for other events? Or should it be replaced with a new arena somewhere in the Metro Region?

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...-221804/311257/

It was build in 1971 and I attended many events there when I lived in Richmond, especially hockey games. Seating capacity was 10,377 and it was the largest in the state when it, Hampton Coliseum, Scope in Norfolk and the Civic Center in Roanoke all came on line at about the same time in the early 1970's. Subsequently, 2,500 nose-bleed seats were added bringing capacity to 12,877, and with the exception of John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville and perhaps another at Virginia Tech, Richmond Coliseum still ranks third in size.

It was designed by Kling Architects of Philadelphia and was considered a classy building, although Scope, designed by a renowned European architect, was (and is) classier.

Richmond Coliseum has had leakage problems since it opened. Even back in the 70's it was common to notice buckets catching drips from the roof during inclement weather.

And then, there was the horrible incident several years ago when the crew failed to stabilize the basketball court over the hockey ice and players were slipping and sliding all over the floor. 12,000 people had packed the building to watch a game between UVA and another team which had barely gotten underway when the game was called and 12,000 angry spectators left the building. Many of those unhappy basketball fans couldn't get out of nearby garages because attendents, thinking the game would go on for a couple of hours, had taken breaks.

As a New Yorker who rarely drives, I've noticed on recent visits to downtown Richmond that garages are sometimes unattended and in one instance, I had to get out of my car and go to the office to pay my way out of the damned place. In another incident at an outdoor lot, there was a kiosk that gobbled up my ten dollar bill and after calling the number for help, I had to walk three blocks to get a $5 refund. I guess you regular Richmond drivers know to use credit cards and other means to exit unattended toll booths, but with unemployment at record heights, you'd think garages could staff the exits. -- End of rant!

Anyway, I have fond memories of Richmond Coliseum, even if its color scheme is on the drab side. Walking around the indoor concourse after dark and looking out the windows at the city always gave me chills of pleasure.

Edited by burt

I say replace it. It'd be nice to have a new building with architecture that compliments the convention center and Philip Morris. I know we're a historic city, but why do we always want to keep up rapidly deteriorating non-historic structures?