Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Hey I heard Rocketts Landing is coming along hey wrldcoupe maybe you or burt should go and take some pictures of the site I heard they are doing demolition and clearing everything out of the way got www.richmondcitywatch.com for more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hiya, Joey-P. Wrldcoupe is on vacation for 2 weeks and I live in New York City, so neither of us can go to take pictures of Rockett's Landing. But, I'm sure Wrldcoupe will do so when he returns. Yeah, I've been reading about work getting underway down there. Apparently they're starting one new residential building and are converting an existing older building to apartments. I read recently that Mayor Wilder is confident that apartments, retail and a marina will be ready by 2008. Also, I think they have, or will have very soon, a model of the project that prospective tenants can see. :)

Some people think that there will be rapid infill between Tobacco Row and Rockett's Landing. Wonder what happened to the plan for a condo tower proposed at what was to be called Rockett's Wharf (I think it was called) just east of the Great Ship Lock? :rolleyes:

Edited by burt

Your right burt it was called rocketts wharf yea i wonder whatever happened to it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think I read that the developer of Rockett's Wharf wanted the City to let him take over the parking lot of the Great Ship Lock park and Mr. Wilder said "NO" in no uncertain terms. Maybe that killed the plan. :(

I'm sure I read today that a developer wants to build a kind of horse community with a couple hundred homes off Osborne Tpk in Varina. Only thing, when I went back to the RTD just now, I couldn't find the story. Did I make it up??? I specifically remember that somebody questioned the fact that there would be a lot of new people but space for only 15 horses eventhough the project is designed for horse lovers with several miles of riding trails. -_- Could I have dreamed this?!!!

jc has a magnificent photo essay at richmondcitywatch.com in the photo album category on Church Hill and environs. Among the pictures is the boarded up East End Theater on 25th between Marshall and Clay. It opened (I believe) in the late 1930s as an art deco second run movie house, closed, became a church for a while, and is now vacant. Rumor has floated that a couple planned to convert it to a single family home. Anyway, jc reports that some kind of work is now underway at the site. I wish it could be restored as a performing arts center for the neighborhood, but a SF Home is better than a boarded-up, vine covered wreck! :)

Hey burt I have a question how come everytime a developer wants to do a project in richmond it either gets changed to an Ugly Condo Tower Like Riverside or is an unattractive looking development.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, Joey, I don't really agree with that. There have been some missteps, such as Riverside residential tower (though I don't think it's THAT bad), but look at the warehouse conversions along Tobacco Row and work underway on the old CNB tower. Also, the upcoming Performing Arts Center, the Federal Courthouse, Rocketts Landing, Vistas on the James, and the plans for Shockoe Bottom are certainly first class projects. You have to remember that Richmond is a preservation-minded city (though some might dispute that), compared to many metros that appear to be leaving Richmond in the dust. Don't dispair. You live in a beautiful city that will hold its own and be the envy of many. :)

wow lets see........ Joey...please find out some specifics on this Hilton project like a timetable. Have your mom bake the guy some cookies or something :). I received an email detailing the Rockett's Landing project which has begun work in earnest. I'll post the details of it tonight. Burt I think the Rockett's Wharf project may be dead. Wilder may very well have given it the boot with his cowboy boots :). And I agree with burts last statement. Joey-have you been down to see the ROTJ project in person lately? It really doesnt look that bad.

I've got some updates tonight.....first off, Rockett's Landing which may soon deserve its own thread. I got an e-mail from Rockett's which said:

"If you've driven by Rocketts Landing lately, you've seen tremendous activity on the site. Land has been cleared, demolition is underway and infrastructure construction has begun.

Within the month, floor plans for the first two condominium buildings will be posted on the Web site. A new condominium building, Fall Line, will offer luxury homes from 1,200 to 2,200 square feet with larger rooftop penthouses available.

The second condominium building is a conversion of the historic Cedarworks structure. With its exposed brick walls and open beam ceilings, these homes offer the unique character of new urban living. Lofts to 2-bedroom penthouses will range from 700 to 1,900 square feet."

Floor plans will soon be available on the site and they will begin to take reservations. Shortly afterwards they will begin to post info on townhomes.

Man I can't wait for this project to become more visible. It's truly one of the most promising projects in the Richmond area.

Also, I was pointed to this article from the Charlotte Observer about the Ghazi Company. They are working on a 50+ story condo project for Charlotte.

They quoted Mr. Ghazi as saying:

"Q. What's next for you? We've got some pretty cool projects. We're working in different cities, like Richmond (Va.), Cincinnati, Louisville (Ky., his hometown). We've got two $100 million-plus projects that are in the middle stages of the pipeline."

On their website under future projects, it says "Coming Soon: Richmond, VA".....I wonder if one of those 100 mil plus projects will be in Richmond??? Hopefully it will be downtown! Glad to hear about all the out-of-town investment lately and I can't wait to hear what Ghazi has planned for Richmond.

Also, I was pointed to this article from the Charlotte Observer about the Ghazi Company. They are working on a 50+ story condo project for Charlotte.

They quoted Mr. Ghazi as saying:

"Q. What's next for you? We've got some pretty cool projects. We're working in different cities, like Richmond (Va.), Cincinnati, Louisville (Ky., his hometown). We've got two $100 million-plus projects that are in the middle stages of the pipeline."

On their website under future projects, it says "Coming Soon: Richmond, VA".....I wonder if one of those 100 mil plus projects will be in Richmond??? Hopefully it will be downtown! Glad to hear about all the out-of-town investment lately and I can't wait to hear what Ghazi has planned for Richmond.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder if there might be a tall project built by this guy going where that land downtown was just sold. I believe it's a parking lot now...can't remember the exact location, but I remember vividly the announcement that someone had bought it.

wow i think you are right....the entire block purchase! Man this could end up being very awesome. I can't imagine some lowrise mess going there. It is a prime spot for a new high-rise and if its anything like the epicenter in Charlotte, we might be thoroghly impressed....Thanks for reminding me!!!

can you find out what it is,....I might be wrong about the entire block purchase being the correct location, but you never know....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We'll look into it. I can't remember the name of the guy or company that bought it at the top of my head, but I'll try to do some research in the next couple of days to see if we're right about this. I'll be on alert tomorrow through Saturday, so it may not be until then before I can research this. If anyone else out there has a bit more time to find this out for us, please, don't hesitate to help out. Thanks!

okay so this is who purchased the entire city block:

Downtown Richmond Building Associates II LLC

They purchased the downtown block bounded by Main, Cary, Third and Fourth Streets.....I feel like I've heard the name Ghazi before though recently regarding downtown developments.

okay so this is who purchased the entire city block:

Downtown Richmond Building Associates II LLC

They purchased the downtown block bounded by Main, Cary, Third and Fourth Streets.....I feel like I've heard the name Ghazi before though recently regarding downtown developments.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't quote me, but I believe before the sale announcement of the above full city block there had been a reported sale of another full block in that wasteland. It was handled by Thalhimer Realty. But don't trust me, I might have made that up! :lol:

I tell ya if this is gonna be a suburban development I'm gonna be so terribly ticked off it won't even be funny or pretty. I'm sick of the suburbs getting all of the credit and making downtown look like a fool. Even though I live in the Suburbs but thats only because I'm in High School one day I hope to be living in the City.

we can do that, though I wanna wait and see what some of the renderings (more specific than what we already have) will be ...I actually drove by there today since I was already downtown. Didn't have my camera though. I dunno about the Ghazi development but I would at least like to know where the development is going. I'll see what I can do but I'm leaving for OBX on Sunday....