Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Demolition is underway at Monument Avenue and Willow Lawn Drive in preparation for construction of the new up-scale Keswick Apartment complex. It will contain 267 units in town houses (similar to some in The Fan) and Mansion Revival buildings (ala Monument Avenue). Construction is expected to begin in 2006.

This item from Richmond.com

:)

moved

Edited by vdogg

wow burt good find about the the new campus expansion!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, Mr. Editor, for moving it from VCU to Development :) .

Have a great time at the Outer Banks, and stay away from the sharks!!

Maybe whilst you're frollicking on the sands the man in Charlotte, whose name I cannot remember, will announce his 60-story residential tower for 3rd and Main - :lol: Well, anyway, maybe he really DOES have some big plans for our city. We'll see. Ciao!

BTW, don't forget to post your Great Smokies pics.

The Charlotte guy's name is Ghazi. I think they have the Times-Dispatch on the outer banks because of the massive proportion of richmonders that vacation there so I might hear about it if this Ghazi guy plans to pull off something amazing. You guys should try to find out what he plans to do while I'm gone. I'll see if I can post a few of the pics of Tenn. before I leave...btw burt, I think those new Keswick apartments will be absolutely stunning and be the perfect addition to Monument Ave. I'd like to see some more monuments on our grand avenue as well personally. take care!

Noticed today among the items in the Building Permit section of RTD's Real Estate page that $600,000 worth of work is underway at 1511 E. Main Street. That's the lot across from Main Street Station. The work includes new drainage, parking lot, drop-off plaza, crosswalk and streetscape improvements.

In today's Style Weekly, there's a report that Mayor Wilder's patience is running very thin with the Miller & Rhoads developer. The company that proposed renovation of the building has apparently not been forthcoming about its intentions and deadlines have passed without committment from them. Mr. Wilder wants answers NOW, and hints court action may be necessary in order to force action, or possibly, to free up the property for other developers.

The current owner's reluctance to move ahead with their plans doesn't make me feel very good about the odds of the land being developed at all by them or anyone else. The lot has been vacant for about 15 years.

A high-rise would be fought tooth and nail, hell anything ever proposed for that site will be met with opposition.

There's no thread for this, but just thought I'd mention how intense security is today here in Manhattan. I just got home from a trip to and from my doctor who is located on E. 72nd near Lexington. I took the E Train from 8th and 42nd to 51st and Lex, then the #6 to Lex and 68th, then reversed the trip. Police are out in numbers at every subway station as a result of the horror in London, and the terror alert has been raised for rail travel across the country, including all subway systems. Almost all TV News chanels are reporting non-stop on the situation.

Edited by burt

I forgot to mention that I read the other day that the Wyeth Pharmaceutical company is planning a major expansion at its property near the Richmond airport on or around Laburnum Avenue. These people make Robitussin and PreparationH among other soothing remedies. While employment will not be measurably increased at this time, it is likely to occur in the not distant future. The company also has its principal research facility in Richmond on Robin Hood Road not far from the Diamond baseball park.

The leasing office for the newly remodeled American Tobacco buildings in the block bounded by 20th, 21st, Grace and Franklin streets is now accepting applications for apartments. Richmond City Watch has posted the web site which has some nice fotos and good information.

Though they refer to one of the structures in this complex as the Lucky Strike building, it is not to be confused with the other Lucky Strike plant undergoing apartment conversion by Forest City in Tobacco Row several blocks away at 26th and Cary. I guess one or the other will have to change its name. Which brings me to another naming dilemma. Fulton Properties is redoing some great old warehouses off of Main on either 20th or 21st and they plan to call them "Haxall View" despite the fact that the only thing with Haxall in its name (the canal bordering Browns Island between 5th and 12th streets) is not in view of this complex. Hmmmmm.

Edited by burt

The American Tobacco Center Apartments are verrrry cool looking!!

here's a rendering. At least the LuckyStrike portion should be ready by summer's end.

AmericanTobaccoCenter.gif

here's the website for the project:

AmericanTobaccoCenter

I don't think a name change will be necessary because the overall project is American Tobacco Center. I guess one of the buildings withing it will be called LuckyStrike, but I don't think it will conflict with the LuckyStrike on Tobacco Row.

did I mention it has a rooftop pool and terrace? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, the rendering is super. Reminds me of some of those postcards types from the 1920s.

If only the surroundings could be improved to reflect the rendering. Right now, they are pretty awful.