Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Steve, thanks for the info on HDL.

Here's a story from today's RTD repeating what you told us plus a rendering.

The company says it has more than 50 job openings at this time and should have more than 850 employees by 2014.

http://www2.timesdis...ark-ar-1805071/

Update on Health Diagnostic Laboratory:

HDL should begin occupying the first three floors (1: Logistics, 2-3 Laboratories) of phase 1 in January. The top three should be occupied by March as remaining departments move over in preparation for demolishing BioTech 5 in order to begin on phase 2. Employment should break 600 by end of year.

Edited by Icetera

Update on Health Diagnostic Laboratory:

HDL should begin occupying the first three floors (1: Logistics, 2-3 Laboratories) of phase 1 in January. The top three should be occupied by March as remaining departments move over in preparation for demolishing BioTech 5 in order to begin on phase 2. Employment should break 600 by end of year.

Ice, thanks for the update. Since the RTD story about Health Diagnostics Labs is out there in the ether since the newspaper re-formatted itself, a reminder to readers that the new 6 or 7 story building is in Biotech Park at 5th and Jackson Streets.

I think I'm correct in reporting that Phase 2 will be a second tower adjacent to the new one fronting Jackson Street.

Edited by burt

Ice, thanks for the update. Since the RTD story about Health Diagnostics Labs is out there in the ether since the newspaper re-formatted itself, a reminder to readers that the new 6 or 7 story building is in Biotech Park at 5th and Jackson Streets.

I think I'm correct in reporting that Phase 2 will be a second tower adjacent to the new one fronting Jackson Street.

Ultimately BioTech 3 and BioTech 5 are being replaced with one half block sized 6-story structure attached via floors 2 and 3 to the existing 3-story BioTech 8. Phase 1 is the half that replaced BioTech 3 and the tiny BioTech 5 (current Logistics/IT/Sales) should go down in March for Phase 2. Based on the image below, BioTech 8 will be redesignated as BioTech 5 and the new structure replacing BioTechs 3 & 5 will be designated 8 (3 + 5?). The Forensic Lab has offices in half of the first level of the current BioTech 8 and I am not sure if HDL intends to push them out in the near future as well. The parking garage was also recently heightened, though not enough as employees still have to use other garages in the vicinity.

HDLExpansion.jpg

Just snapped a few pics of the Locks development along the canal walk the other day. It can't be said enough, what a huge improvement this is and what a difference it will make for downtown.

Thanks georgeglass for posting the recent pictures of progress at The Locks. I hope they still have plans to bridge the Haxall from the front door of the Italianate building to the colorfully decorated walls of the power plant across the waterway.

It looks as if there's a lot of work to be done and it seems doubtful if the buildings will be ready for occupancy before the new year, IMO.

CASA DEL BARCO, the upscale Mexican restaurant being developed by the owner of both Boathouse restaurants (Rockettes and Brandermill) is going in on the ground floor of the grey-ish Italinate (pity they had to place the white water spouts in such a conspicious manner.) I was hoping to dine there on my Christmas visit to Richmond .

How about the two other buildings undergoing renovation and extension of the canal walk on the north side of the Haxall? Did you notice progress in those areas of THE LOCKS?

Edited by burt

Thanks georgeglass for posting the recent pictures of progress at The Locks. I hope they still have plans to bridge the Haxall from the front door of the Italianate building to the colorfully decorated walls of the power plant across the waterway.

It looks as if there's a lot of work to be done and it seems doubtful if the buildings will be ready for occupancy before the new year, IMO.

CASA DEL BARCO, the upscale Mexican restaurant being developed by the owner of both Boathouse restaurants (Rockettes and Brandermill) is going in on the ground floor of the grey-ish Italinate (pity they had to place the white water spouts in such a conspicious manner.) I was hoping to dine there on my Christmas visit to Richmond .

How about the two other buildings undergoing renovation and extension of the canal walk on the north side of the Haxall? Did you notice progress in those areas of THE LOCKS?

There is significant progress going on with the other 2 buildings. The White Byrd building has been primed and new windows have been installed for the atrium. I am unsure if they are opening up the canal on that side, but they have cleared out some of the brush and installed stairs, though it may be temporary during construction. I have been wondering if they were going to add balconies to the building since it sits right on the canal. It seems like a missed opportunity if they don't. There was also a sandwich board for a cafe in the Troutman Sanders / Riverside development. I could not tell if it was in the Blackfinn space or if this was something new or old. I hadn't noticed it before, bit I don't remember the name.

More info on the potential office tower at The Locks posted tonight on Times-Dispatch

http://www.timesdisp...0478f8bd7b.html

Awesome find! Love the design, I say cut it in half and stack it! 5-6 stories of parking and 12 of office makes it ~18 max. That's vista's height, kind of a bummer. Also, from the view of this rendering it doesn't look as if the building is at 10th & Byrd directly next to Riverfront Plaza--is anyone else confused as to how this adds up? I'm puzzled at the angle of the existing towers shown in the background. Maybe the 10th & Byrd site is still being considered for a taller tower?

Edited by TBurban

Awesome find! Love the design, I say cut it in half and stack it! 5-6 stories of parking and 12 of office makes it ~18 max. That's vista's height, kind of a bummer. Also, from the view of this rendering it doesn't look as if the building is at 10th & Byrd directly next to Riverfront Plaza--is anyone else confused as to how this adds up? I'm puzzled at the angle of the existing towers shown in the background. Maybe the 10th & Byrd site is still being considered for a taller tower?

I think the view is if you're standing on Byrd (at the RMA garage) looking towards the river.

I echo Burt's opinion of the design...it stinks to say the least. The good thing is that this design is not necessarily the design that will be chosen for a building on that site (it's just a sample design). Hopefully, the tenant would be a little more vertical in their thinking. We need to see something at least 20 stories on that spot...at LEAST!

I don't think 20 stories really blends in with Shockoe Slip.

20 is only 2 floors higher than Riverfront Tower across 10th Street, jb :) .

Incidentally, the photo in the RTD Biz Buzz column has been slapped over with an advertisement. Scroll back to the Georgeglass thumbnail on the previous page to see the rendering of the proposed tower.

Several months ago a Denver Ad Agency was hired to promote Richmond. Local agencies were not exactly happy over the selection, especially since Richmond is home to many advertising shops -- one of which (the Martin Agency) was named best in the country. RVA is also home to the top ranked Brand Center at VCU.

Here is Denver's sleek work:

http://yesrichmondva.com/

Edited by burt

Richmond City Council approved a heavily negotiated deal last night and gave a green light to the Mayor's agreement with the Washington Red Skins to establish a summer training camp for the team.

The facility will be directly behind The Science Museum of Virginia (formerly Broad Street Station) and will be equipped with two regulation-sized playing fields as well as a medical treatment structure.

What it will not have, as far as I can see, is seating.

Photo of rendering from RVANews:

http://media.rvanews...ence-Museum.jpg

Richmond City Council approved a heavily negotiated deal last night and gave a green light to the Mayor's agreement with the Washington Red Skins to establish a summer training camp for the team.

The facility will be directly behind The Science Museum of Virginia (formerly Broad Street Station) and will be equipped with two regulation-sized playing fields as well as a medical treatment structure.

What it will not have, as far as I can see, is seating.

Photo of rendering from RVANews:

http://media.rvanews...ence-Museum.jpg

Here's the RTD story detailing Council approval:

http://www.timesdisp...805b42f04b.html