Richmond Developments

Cotuit

This study looks new, and dare I say...promising?

Richmond on the James

When completed, the project will include road realignment and development of the industrial parcels just east of downtown Richmond, and link the residential communities of Tobacco Row and Rockett’s Landing. It is the intent of the plan to balance appropriate urban density and the community’s desire for riverfront access and green-space. Within the project will be a hotel, an office building, nd low-rise residences over restaurants and retail stores. Recreational features include an executive golf course and marina.

c2be3493ce42ee658842d93c6d54529d_XL.jpg

Richmond_On_The_James.PDF

Edited by TBurban

It appears that the latest residential component of the Shockoe Valley Heighs project, the approximately 80-unit building named Trolley Commons, is now largely complete.

SVH_Aerial.jpg

Though the ground floor retail remains completely empty, it appears that residents have moved into many of the buildings apartments judging by the lights, TVs and even Christmas decorations visible through some of the large windows.

If there rental website if correct, the building is 100% leased as there are no available units at this time.

So is that Richmond on the James pdf a study or an actual development proposal? I think those pacels have different ownership. Developing that area is critical to having a viable river front. Originally Rocketts showed a walk along the river with restaurants and shops but its never happened. Some sort of river walk with commercial is desperately needed in this area..

This study looks new, and dare I say...promising?

Richmond on the James

c2be3493ce42ee658842d93c6d54529d_XL.jpg

Richmond_On_The_James.PDF

Tommy, can you post the entire pdf?

This one page covers a section of the waterfront from about The Great Ship Lock and Chappel Island all the way downstream to just above The Boathouse at Rocketts Landing.

Since the James is a protected navigable river, it's for sure there won't be anything obstructing vessels.

And can you imagine manouevering in and out of those tight slips of the marina? :shok:

Burt, unfortunately that one page is the full extent of the study found on Baskervill's website.

On a smaller development note, the city is slowly replacing all stoplight posts (such as those found along Franklin St. after crossing Belvidere) with overhead stoplights containing street lights, illuminated street signs, and walk boxes.

It appears that the latest residential component of the Shockoe Valley Heighs project, the approximately 80-unit building named Trolley Commons, is now largely complete.

[img=http://shockoevalleyheights.com/content/uploads/2011/06/SVH_Aerial.jpg]

Though the ground floor retail remains completely empty, it appears that residents have moved into many of the buildings apartments judging by the lights, TVs and even Christmas decorations visible through some of the large windows.

If there rental website if correct, the building is 100% leased as there are no available units at this time.

There are 2 signs posted for the retail in this building. On the left corner, Shockoe Valley Market will be opening and I assume closing their store on Main St closer to 18th St. The other spot is more in the center and is a salon called Salon Belissa, I believe.

There are 2 signs posted for the retail in this building. On the left corner, Shockoe Valley Market will be opening and I assume closing their store on Main St closer to 18th St. The other spot is more in the center and is a salon called Salon Belissa, I believe.

http://www.salonbelissarva.com/index-AboutUs.html

The downtown Grace Street corridor is getting another rejuvenating shot in the arm.

RAPPAHANNOCK, the Richmond location of MERROIR in Topping, VA, is expected to open at 320/322 East Grace this month.

And now, another handsome art deco building at 306 East Grace Street is about to undergo renovation to 10 apartments and business space.

From today's Richmond Biz Sense (click the RAPPAHANNOCK link in the story for details about the restaurant.) 

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2012/12/03/deposit-checks-return-to-grace-st-building/

Edited by burt

RVA, the moniker for Richmond, has gone viral since the recent promotion of its use.

But, radio station WRVA has been around since 1925.

From Richmond dot com: (unfortunately, the link in this story is an external link.)

http://www.richmond.com/city-life/article_f446caa4-3fc8-11e2-8086-0019bb30f31a.html

Edited by burt

I read and heard "The Tiber" was pretty controversial... but hopefully the residents will eventually realize that this development is to try and better it for good, not to do harm to the surrounding area. Although I will admit, it sort of is a LITTLE out of place.

But hey, whatever draws more and more people to these areas, that is what will make it more affluent and bustling with new residents :D

BELVIDERE REVISTED:

A few days ago I posted a story in the Dining-Out thread about the big, new shiny entertainment center on Hull Street Road west of 288.

Today, Rich Griset has a long story in Style Weekly about the place called UPTOWN ALLEY.

A paragraph near the end of the story caught my interest.  Griset writes (paraphrased) that Steve Uphoff serves on the board of and has a major financial interest in Mid-Atlantic Convenience Stores.

The company has plans to build a 10-12 story apartment building at the northwest corner of Belvidere and Grace Streets (sound familiar?)

Acording to Griset's story, The residence tower will compliment VCU's Institute for Contemporary Art.  Uphoff has met with the university's architectural group and architect Steven Holl about the project.

From the current Style Weekly:

http://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/big-ups/Content?oid=1792603

Today as I was getting home from work I noticed that several buildings on Grace St had been enclosed in a chain link fence with a sign that read "Caution: Demolition by [Company Name]"

Does anyone know anything about this?

For reference this is on Grace St downtown between Foushee and Adams.

2wm18i1.jpg

These are pretty cool looking buildings and look like they would be prime for small a small restaurant, deli or cafe, though they're obviously in horrible condition at the moment. I had hoped to one day see these rehabilitated/renovated but judging by the large excavator on site, they may be headed for a full demolition. :( If that's the case, I can only hope they're replaced by something more than a parking lot.

Maybe someone who is more handy at scouring the city websites for work permits (that I assume would have been file) can look into this; these buildings are in the first block of West Grace St (street numbers 1 to 99). They are on the south side of Grace meaning they would have an odd numbered address.

Jay:

The corrugated metal building on the southwest corner of Grace and Foushee in the photo has been there for decades.  I won't be sorry to see it go, but I like the townhouse next to it.

The big building is the downtown YMCA at corner of Franklin and Foushee.

Haven't seen any news about what will happen when demolition is complete, but I'll bet a quarter it will be a parking lot.

Today as I was getting home from work I noticed that several buildings on Grace St had been enclosed in a chain link fence with a sign that read "Caution: Demolition by [Company Name]"

Does anyone know anything about this?

For reference this is on Grace St downtown between Foushee and Adams.

2wm18i1.jpg

These are pretty cool looking buildings and look like they would be prime for small a small restaurant, deli or cafe, though they're obviously in horrible condition at the moment. I had hoped to one day see these rehabilitated/renovated but judging by the large excavator on site, they may be headed for a full demolition. :( If that's the case, I can only hope they're replaced by something more than a parking lot.

Maybe someone who is more handy at scouring the city websites for work permits (that I assume would have been file) can look into this; these buildings are in the first block of West Grace St (street numbers 1 to 99). They are on the south side of Grace meaning they would have an odd numbered address.

Driving down that stretch of Grace this past week, it looked like that red brick building in the center was gutted by a fire.  They're probably just being demo'ed by neglect.  Those few blocks of Grace are mostly surface lots, it'd be great to get some infill in there.

Jay and Tommy:

Here's the answer to the riddle.  The buildings at Foushee and Grace Streets are being demolished as the first phase of a $20 million expansion of the YMCA.  Construction will begin when funds have been raised.

From today's RTD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/business/economy/downtown-y-set-to-raze-buildings-to-expand/article_4fc9b974-ded6-5d61-ae3f-4332fff88302.html

At the end of the day, I have trouble getting upset about the demolition of a couple of marginal buildings if that's the only cost of the YMCA making significant new investments in the city which will improve livability and hopefully attract even more new residents in the long run.  It's not like they demolished them to make room for a skyscraper that never happened.

• Like 1

Not the most exciting but HDL apparently has a camera for the construction.  Updates daily (not video):

http://oxblue.com/open/lingerfeltco/biotech

It's confusing watching the time-lapse.  There appear to be lots of windows as the building rises, then all of a sudden they are sheathed in a silver wall.  I like the blue and silver color scheme -- or is that temporary? 

Won't there be a twin building abutting this one when the next phase of construction gets underway?

Icetera, am I correct in asserting that this construction is the new Health Diagnostic building underway in the BioTech park on East Jackson Street between 5th and 6th Streets, and that the time-lapse view is from the east?

Tommy (a/k/a TBurban) since you have an amazing expertise in the field, do you think you can find renderings for the YMCA extension and the revised BELVIDERE ?

Moseley Architects is doing the YMCA, and Uphoff says he has conferred with VCU architects as well as with Steven Holl so that his BELVIDERE tower will be compatible with the VCU Intitute for Contemporary Art.

See references to both projects in postings above. 

Thats a very cool time lapse of the HDL building going up! Its been a very exciting time around there. You're right Burt, Phase II of the expansion begins in March (will take about a year) and will put a mirror image on the other corner to make one continuous building fronting Jackson St (which is why there are no windows on that side) which is connecting to the current 3 story buildinh that heads up 5th St. If you think there's been a buzz about HDL over the last year or two wait until 2013...

It's gratifying to see all the money/effort that was put into the biotech park finally paying off. Intelliject is another success story to come out of the park which finally got its first product through the FDA. I hope VCU steps up the incubator efforts and other innovative copanies see advantages in the area - momentum is a good thing   

Conversion of the majestic First and Merchants National Bank into 154 luxury apartments is in the final stages and residents will soon begin moving into the tower.

Ed Slipek reveals the fascinating history of the handsome 19-story 'skyscraper' at 9th and Main Streets in today's Style Weekly

http://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/majestic-riser/Content?oid=1794911

Conversion of the majestic First and Merchants National Bank into 154 luxury apartments is in the final stages and residents will soon begin moving into the tower.

Ed Slipek reveals the fascinating history of the handsome 19-story 'skyscraper' at 9th and Main Streets in today's Style Weekly

http://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/majestic-riser/Content?oid=1794911

Here's the website for the First National Apartments:

http://www.firstnationalapartments.com/