Richmond Developments

Cotuit

They'll lose that beautiful river view if that new building on the triangle lot gets built. 

Have you heard anything, jb, about Maguire Woods seriously considering a tower on that lot bounded by 8th, 9th, Cary and Byrd Streets?  Doesn't Dominion Power own it?

The view of Manchester Bridge (the picture just before the State Capitol) is really sensational.  Also in that shot you can see the old stone piers crossing the James that may become a Bridge Park.

http://www.firstnationalapartments.com/p/apartments/photo_6043/richmond-va-23219/first-national-apartments-6043

The ground floor banking room would make a spectacular restaurant with the bar in the huge vault.

Just came from a Jeff Dunham, reason for being up so late :P

Anyway, those "unexpected" tree choppings at the Redskins site were linked.....to the Science Museum :o

Maybe. Their plan is for a new exhibit, called "Speed" or something :P, and a new $10 million addition will be built, as well as a still-in-design-phase new events pavilion ;) It plans on opening in 2014 ;)

http://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/more-to-treegate-no-one-mentions-15-million-exhibits/Content?oid=1816683

From this week's Style Weekly

How's this for city density?  :good:

It's the Picture of the Day at RVANews and the talented photographer was Rachael Yeatts.

Nostalgia Note:  

The white 10-story building at extreme left was the site of The Lyric Theatre at southeast corner of 9th and Broad until it was demolished in the 1950's and replaced with the current structure which housed IBM.  The building was intended to have an additional 10 stories, but expansion never took place.

The Lyric could accommodate about 1,100 and was the prime theatre in Richmond for touring Broadway plays.  Large musicals played (and still do) The Mosque which is now called The Landmark but will be rechristened The Altria Theatre (capacity 3,600) after completion of a $50 million renovation in 2014.

From today's RVANews:

http://media.rvanews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/rvanight.jpg

At risk of shouting suggestions out of the blue,

I think Richmond should get it's neon on.

And by that, I mean, they restored the John Marshall sign, right? They also have the Sauer's Vanilla sign on Broad, right? They should restore the FFV Interbake sign, when Rebkee restores the building into apartments, they should also restore that giant neon sign on top. Also... neon on Carytown? This is where my suggestions go into fantasy.... maybe add more flair to the storefronts? I dunno, most of the shops are closed in the night.... but I guess it would still look nice....

And quick question, never was at 525 in person at night or anything before, is that Berry Burke sign on top of the building lit up at night? Neon? Is it functioning? I would say if it is, it certainly adds flair to that area.

And by that, I mean, they restored the John Marshall sign, right? They also have the Sauer's Vanilla sign on Broad, right? They should restore the FFV Interbake sign, when Rebkee restores the building into apartments, they should also restore that giant neon sign on top. Also... neon on Carytown? This is where my suggestions go into fantasy.... maybe add more flair to the storefronts? I dunno, most of the shops are closed in the night.... but I guess it would still look nice....

And quick question, never was at 525 in person at night or anything before, is that Berry Burke sign on top of the building lit up at night? Neon? Is it functioning? I would say if it is, it certainly adds flair to that area.

RVA, take a lok at this video about East Grae Street and you'll see that the Berry Burk rooftop sign is, indeed, lit up.

http://wtvr.com/2012/12/18/holmberg-bringing-grace-back-to-east-grace-street/

Newly rehabbed apartments in old downtown buildings are pretty expensive when parking and utilities are added to rents ranging from about $700 to $2900.

Carol Hazard did a story in today's RTD, but she did not mention the Central National Bank and 700 Center projects, although there is information on The Locks.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/business/real-estate/former-art-deco-bank-building-converted-into-apartments/article_a76cc8a5-5b8f-524e-8630-cea2f9976cf7.html

Edited by burt

At least half of the Berry Burke sign is lit and I hope they fix the rest soon.  Roanoke is a great example of how good an effort to restore downtown neon signs can look.

Well, this is disappointing... 15 stories (could be up to 21). Looks like it takes up the entire block (closing off the diagonal road). Nothing too exciting. At least there will be ground level retail and maybe a restaurant - then 4 floors of parking and 10 floors of offices.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/business/local/companies/story-office-tower-planned-for-downtown-richmond/article_58f1daf2-6a6c-11e2-a4bf-001a4bcf6878.html

Edited by blake_p

I'm hoping for 21!

Well, this is disappointing... 15 stories (could be up to 21). Looks like it takes up the entire block (closing off the diagonal road). Nothing too exciting. At least there will be ground level retail and maybe a restaurant - then 4 floors of parking and 10 floors of offices.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/business/local/companies/story-office-tower-planned-for-downtown-richmond/article_58f1daf2-6a6c-11e2-a4bf-001a4bcf6878.html

I'm hoping for 21!

Be sure to look at the video in Related box.

I guess  I was correct in assuming that Dominion owns the land.  Remember the battle they had with Oregon Hill residents a few yars ago about building a tower on their Tredegar property?  Why can't they add about 15 floors on the squatty Maguire Woods tower?     

They need to add apartments on top with a glass spire roof!  And, if you're going to build on THE premier lot in downtown Richmond, anything less than 35 stories is such a missed opportunity.  Richmond looks like a joke with all the short, stumpy (I'm reluctant to say it...) "high-rises."  I wish someone would knock some sense into this developer.  I'd rather not see anything there than this structure - what a waste.  Ugh, so frustrated right now.

The Centennial Towers project needs to be resurrected.  Really.  The demand for apartments is there (evidenced by the increase in recent apartment builds downtown) and I'm sure downtown could use another decent hotel.  At least the design was somewhat "signature."  Goodstein still hasn't sold the property yet, right? 

Wow, this thread came alive with like 6 or 7 responses in like, one hour :P

I haven't looked at the article yet, but I am already guaranteed a disappointment from you guys' responses :P

We need something along the lines of RBC Center in Raleigh, like eandslee suggests. Nice glass facade. Once again, haven't looked at the article, will look now.

Wish me luck. Hope it's something "signature".

EDIT: 15 stories. I think I'd rather watch the CNB get restored than to see this joker go up. Yeesh. At least make it TALLER THAN THE SURROUNDING BUILDINGS, and a spire or antenna? What happened to "premiere" lot?

Yeesh.

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best

Lord, have mercy....it's actually SHORTER than the surrounding Dominion and CURRENT McGuire Woods tower, One James Plaza.

"Gateway Plaza"....when I think of that, I think of something that makes a difference and can really change the skyline. This basically is urban infill. That parking lot definitely needs to go, but not exactly in the form of such a.... "suburban" office "tower".

Richmond Biz Sense broke the news last week about Douglas Development's plan to convert Richmond's true iconic tower into 200+ apartments.

Here's another story about the Central National Building in today's Style Weekly. 

It seems downtown Richmond has an amazingly low vacancy rate...something like 3% in certain areas.

Click the photo to enlarge.

http://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/nothing-but-rent/Content?oid=1820323