Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Columbus might be out of luck for Stone Brewery:

http://wosu.org/2012/news/2014/09/15/oh-beer-abv-limit-snag-stone-brewing-deal-8/

Ohio laws and regulation

But you can’t buy it in Ohio.

That’s because its alcohol content exceeds the state’s cap. State law prohibits beer companies from brewing, distributing or selling beer with ABV above 12 percent.

Harrison said that could be a sticking point for Stone.

“They want to open a brewery on the east coast so that they don’t have to ship any beer from California to the east coast,” Harrison said. “Some of the beers that they produce, not most of them, and not their biggest sellers, but some of the beers they produce they would not be able to produce in Ohio right now.”

I don't think Columbus is out just yet. Stone just delayed their announcement...could it be so that Ohio can make some changes to their laws? Perhaps. Or is it because Richmond now has a second location on the table in Manchester (a far superior option in my opinion over the one near Rockets Landing)? Who knows what's really going on? I don't expect to hear an announcement from Stone for a while. This could be enough time for Ohio to get their house in order AND it could offer enough time to explore Richmond's new possible location. I think it's really between Richmond or Columbus. Both have significant advantages for the company. I just don't know which has the edge over the other. It will be interesting to see who they choose... But go Richmond!

I don't think Columbus is out just yet. Stone just delayed their announcement...could it be so that Ohio can make some changes to their laws? Perhaps. Or is it because Richmond now has a second location on the table in Manchester (a far superior option in my opinion over the one near Rockets Landing)? Who knows what's really going on? I don't expect to hear an announcement from Stone for a while. This could be enough time for Ohio to get their house in order AND it could offer enough time to explore Richmond's new possible location. I think it's really between Richmond or Columbus. Both have significant advantages for the company. I just don't know which has the edge over the other. It will be interesting to see who they choose... But go Richmond!

I wouldn't discount Norfolk. The site they proposed is absolutely ripe for a ballpark/brewery centric mixed use development (with Tide service!)

And if anything, I'd rather it go to Norfolk if we can't have it.

Looks like Norfolk is out:

http://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/brewing-politics/Content?oid=2122650

Gov. Terry McAuliffe says Richmond is now one of two finalists competing to lure Stone Brewing Co.’s planned East Coast expansion.

Norfolk also was considered a finalist for the brewery, but apparently has been eliminated. Columbus, Ohio, is still in the running.

I think it's probably true that Norfolk was eliminated and someone slipped up, and is trying to backtrack.

I also think that it seems that Stone really wants to end up in Columbus. IMO, the delay seems to be coinciding with the delay in the vote over ABV in beer. If Columbus can settle the ABV issue and present incentives even close to Richmond, they will be going to Columbus. If not, it'll be Richmond. Isn't Stone's founder from that area originally?

I think it's probably true that Norfolk was eliminated and someone slipped up, and is trying to backtrack.

I also think that it seems that Stone really wants to end up in Columbus. IMO, the delay seems to be coinciding with the delay in the vote over ABV in beer. If Columbus can settle the ABV issue and present incentives even close to Richmond, they will be going to Columbus. If not, it'll be Richmond. Isn't Stone's founder from that area originally?

I thought the same thing when I heard that Stone would be delaying their decision. Looks to me like they are siding with Ohio, but then someone had mentioned the possibility that they are exploring the new possible site in Richmond. I don't know if I buy that or not. I think you might be right...Ohio makes a lot of sense too. Perhaps even more so with their proximity to Chicago, St Louis, Clevland, Louisville, etc, etc. I hope Richmond gets it, but I won't be surprised if we don't. I guess we will find out when/if Ohio changes their beer laws.

I thought the same thing when I heard that Stone would be delaying their decision. Looks to me like they are siding with Ohio, but then someone had mentioned the possibility that they are exploring the new possible site in Richmond. I don't know if I buy that or not. I think you might be right...Ohio makes a lot of sense too. Perhaps even more so with their proximity to Chicago, St Louis, Clevland, Louisville, etc, etc. I hope Richmond gets it, but I won't be surprised if we don't. I guess we will find out when/if Ohio changes their beer laws.

Had Stone not landed the brewery in Germany, I think Virginia (and especially Norfolk) could have been their best play. But now that overseas distribution is no longer needed, being on the coast is no longer as big of a business need for them. The moment Stone announced the Berlin (I think?) brewery, that sealed Norfolk's fate IMO. Richmond's fate is in the hands of the Ohio legislature as we seem to agree.

The proximity to big cities is a big deal, though Richmond isn't exactly a slouch in that regard (Washington DC, Baltimore, Philly, NYC, Charlotte, etc).

Edited by HRVT

I've done a little research and it appears that there is no possibility that the ABV issue gets resolved in Ohio before December at the earliest.  I wonder if that's the reason for the delay.

Could very well be...at least that was my initial thinking.  Stone didn't say how long they would delay their announcement, which suggests to me that they might be unsure of how the law changes might go down in Ohio (IF that is indeed why they are delaying their announcement).  If the announcement takes until December, you can almost guarantee that they have chosen Columbus.  There's no reason why they would delay their announcement if they were coming to Richmond (at least not that I can think of).

Some development on Boulevard to replace the old gas station behind the new taco place.

Developer Charlie Diradour said he has lined up a Starbucks and a new beer retailer at 1017 N. Boulevard.
Construction at the former Kangaroo gas station began last week.

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2014/10/01/developer-lines-up-starbucks-for-the-boulevard/

• Like 1

Yeah, this is super news! I wonder how their location is going to work out though. I would have pursued the Manchester location, but I guess this will fuel the Fulton Gas works area...at least I hope. Can't wait to see how this will change the area. Also, I'd love to see a rendering of the new facility!

This is great news! Cant wait to head down for happy hour (in the meantime I look forward to hearing details of the plans). I agree this is a great location - drove through there the other day and was impressed with the new "solar powered" units going up on Gov Rd

Not just on the river but in the old Intermediate Terminal building.  I was not expecting that!  I am concerned about the apparent break-up of Wharf St. though.  Rocketts' master plan was to include a complete Wharf St. running under Main to Nicholson.

I forget who has Mod rights here but perhaps some of this thread should be moved to a new Stone Brewery thread at this point.

Edited by Icetera

Definitely looks like it's going to turn Wharf Street into a huge garden.  Talk about cleaning up a huge source of run-off into the James!

I think having this development bridging the gap between Rocketts and Tobacco Row will do more for Rockett's landing than that pitiful street ever would have.