Richmond Developments

Cotuit

The landing pages for the Hampton Inn and Homewood Suites Downtown are up and accepting reservations for February 8, 2016 and beyond:

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/virginia/hampton-inn-and-suites-richmond-downtown-RICEMHX/index.html

http://homewoodsuites3.hilton.com/en/hotels/virginia/homewood-suites-by-hilton-richmond-downtown-RICDOHW/index.html

@hikendesign, I wish I had the answer to your image capacity question but I am afraid the last time I was on this site there wasn't even an option to upload images directly. Hopefully someone will be able to answer your question!

In other hotel news, it looks like (digitally, at least) the former Hilton Garden Inn Downtown has made its transformation into a full-service Hilton:

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/virginia/hilton-richmond-downtown-RICRDHH/index.html - Can anyone confirm that signage has been installed?

Also, after some digging around I stumbled upon the site for the Central National Bank Building apartments, newly branded as 'Deco at CNB':

http://www.decoapartments.com/

Edited by TBurban
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I think the only problem would be the distance between the two. However, I could see these two MSA's becoming like DC and Baltimore. Also, it could mean that Virginia could finally get some major league sports teams. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

I think the only problem would be the distance between the two. However, I could see these two MSA's becoming like DC and Baltimore. Also, it could mean that Virginia could finally get some major league sports teams. 

This was my first thought as well, until I read through the article and picked up on a few things:

“We’re not talking about merging cities, counties, fire departments. We’re not talking about combining governments or even merging economic development authorities,” Frantz said. “All we’re talking about is to enhance the way we hold ourselves out to the world as a combined mid-Atlantic gateway.”

..."more areas elsewhere are trying this route, including Austin and San Antonia in Texas and the Tampa and Orlando areas in Florida. The OMB lists 169 CSAs at its website. Some of them, like Chattanooga-Cleveland-Dalton, which covers ground in Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama, are much larger than what Frantz is proposing."

I guess this is taking some data that most of us who live here are aware of, and making it official to the businesses and governments that want to know this type of stuff (3 million+ total population separated by only 50 miles (personally, I'd say plop an NFL stadium smack between them :))....making it official data that pops up easily on filters and screens, and can be used for incentives/grants/etc..

"the combined region would better qualify for federal grants for transportation infrastructure, corporate relocation sites, professional sports teams and entertainment venues, institutional investments in commercial real estate and advertising dollars from corporations and public officials.

...As a human relations consultant, Negus says he works with large companies. One of them decided that it would focus its growth efforts on the top 30 metropolitan areas in the world. “That is where the world is moving, towards these major metropolitans. If you’re not competing in that realm, you are going to fall behind,” he said."

Very interesting to me...

...and there is probably a joke in here about not being able to get Rich/Chest/Henr to get along after all these years...

16 minutes ago, meegwell said:

This was my first thought as well, until I read through the article and picked up on a few things:

“We’re not talking about merging cities, counties, fire departments. We’re not talking about combining governments or even merging economic development authorities,” Frantz said. “All we’re talking about is to enhance the way we hold ourselves out to the world as a combined mid-Atlantic gateway.”

..."more areas elsewhere are trying this route, including Austin and San Antonia in Texas and the Tampa and Orlando areas in Florida. The OMB lists 169 CSAs at its website. Some of them, like Chattanooga-Cleveland-Dalton, which covers ground in Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama, are much larger than what Frantz is proposing."

I guess this is taking some data that most of us who live here are aware of, and making it official to the businesses and governments that want to know this type of stuff (3 million+ total population separated by only 50 miles (personally, I'd say plop an NFL stadium smack between them :))....making it official data that pops up easily on filters and screens, and can be used for incentives/grants/etc..

"the combined region would better qualify for federal grants for transportation infrastructure, corporate relocation sites, professional sports teams and entertainment venues, institutional investments in commercial real estate and advertising dollars from corporations and public officials.

...As a human relations consultant, Negus says he works with large companies. One of them decided

...and there is probably a joke in here about not being able to get Rich/Chest/Henr to get along after all these years...

I thought the distance between the two was more like 100 miles rather than 50. Also since the area would most likely get sports teams, I would think a compromise between the two cities would be nice. Richmond could get a baseball, soccer and hockey team, while Hampton could get a football and basketball team.

17 minutes ago, meegwell said:

...As a human relations consultant, Negus says he works with large companies. One of them decided

I thought the distance between the two was more like 100 miles rather than 50. Also since the area would most likely get sports teams, I would think a compromise between the two cities would be nice. Richmond could get baseball, soccer and hockey teams, while Hampton could get a football and basketball team.

To be honest, if any place is going to get a major professional sports team in Virginia, I'm almost certain that it's going to be Virginia Beach. The 18,000-seat arena that has been discussed for the Oceanfront is all but approved (the entire city-council - even some of the most well-known NIMBY's - are in favor of it). The harsh reality is that Richmond is sandwiched between two larger metro areas (DC and Hampton Roads), and even though Richmond is predicted to be next Charlotte and Raleigh in terms of growth, Hampton Roads is also predicted to be one of the faster-growing metro areas in the country. However, it's very well possible, and likely, for that matter, that the city will get something along the lines of an NBA D-League team or an ECHL hockey franchise in the next few years. 

The best chance of Richmond getting a major league franchise, I feel, rests with the Kickers and a potential entry into Major League Soccer. During the Men and Women's World Cup, Richmond's TV market was in the top 5 in the ratings. I've been a Kickers season ticket holder for several years now, and in the past season alone, there have been multiple games in which 5k plus showed up to see their third division soccer team. The Kickers have been harmlessly floating around stadium expansion/renovation and MLS before. Of course, MLS has been steadfast in getting new franchises in much larger markets (a second team in NY, LA, teams in Miami Minnesota, and recently San Antonio) as of late.

If we had a multi-billionaire soccer fanatic in Richmond that cared, well, that would be awesome. 

At least I can dream about it, anyway...

15 minutes ago, OBXastronaut said:

To be honest, if any place is going to get a major professional sports team in Virginia, I'm almost certain that it's going to be Virginia Beach. The 18,000-seat arena that has been discussed for the Oceanfront is all but approved (the entire city-council - even some of the most well-known NIMBY's - are in favor of it). The harsh reality is that Richmond is sandwiched between two larger metro areas (DC and Hampton Roads), and even though Richmond is predicted to be next Charlotte and Raleigh in terms of growth, Hampton Roads is also predicted to be one of the faster-growing metro areas in the country. However, it's very well possible, and likely, for that matter, that the city will get something along the lines of an NBA D-League team or an ECHL hockey franchise in the next few years. 

The best chance of Richmond getting a major league franchise, I feel, rests with the Kickers and a potential entry into Major League Soccer. During the Men and Women's World Cup, Richmond's TV market was in the top 5 in the ratings. I've been a Kickers season ticket holder for several years now, and in the past season alone, there have been multiple games in which 5k plus showed up to see their third division soccer team. The Kickers have been harmlessly floating around stadium expansion/renovation and MLS before. Of course, MLS has been steadfast in getting new franchises in much larger markets (a second team in NY, LA, teams in Miami Minnesota, and recently San Antonio) as of late.

If we had a multi-billionaire soccer fanatic in Richmond that cared, well, that would be awesome. 

At least I can dream about it, anyway...

I know I made the NFL comment in my post, but it was somewhat sarcastic.  I gave up hope after reading the detailed Richmond Coliseum report from 5 or so years back that focused heavily on the regions ability to attract "major" professional sports...Thank the lord for HDTV and sports bars!

Outside of "major" professional sports, this CSA idea still seems like a good one to pursue.  Don't see how it could hurt if there is already a group of folks dedicated to doing the leg work.

The distance (primarily the stretch between New Kent County and say, Mechanicsville) would be my one concern. But, I still support the concept of a merger, as it would help the state get so much done. I know Gov. McCauliffe wants to put VA on the map for film and sports, so I could see him helping push this along.

WVEC, the ABC affiliate in Norfolk, is doing a report on the possibility of a regional merger in Hampton Roads. That, along with merging the two markets, could be a great boost to the area and state.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this proposal on rtd for renovations to the diamond and redevelopment for the 50 acres surrounding it. The group who proposed it said it would cost significantly less than building a new stadium, saving the city money. I love this proposal however I wish the surrounding development was a little more modern.

http://m.richmond.com/news/local/city-of-richmond/article_d3d169d7-afc9-5c92-bdff-be6c3ca7c470.html?mode=jqm

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I don't like how the stadium roof is offset (looks unsymmetrical and dumb), however I'm digging everything else. Heck, I just want the stadium issue settled once and for all!

Same, I would have loved for it to be symmetrical but I love the design otherwise. I really hope they just do a major renovation of the diamond. I used to love that stadium and this plan made me love it again. Really hope something like this resolves the baseball solution once and for all!

RichmondBizSense has expanded a little more on this and included an aerial rendering of the project.

http://richmondbizsense.com/images/Diamond-render-3.jpg

http://richmondbizsense.com/2015/12/03/with-massive-plan-group-goes-to-bat-for-the-diamond/

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best

4 hours ago, hikendesign said:
4 hours ago, hikendesign said:

It's hard to muster up the energy to talk about the ballpark, I have opinions, like everyone else, and at this point can't believe there's more to talk about - again... I liked the downtown concept, just like a downtown ballpark, the walk-ability for everyone living there and the potential for other uses (music?) when not playing baseball.  Watching a ball game with a city in the background is what major league ball parks do.  This isn't major league, I know, but just like that about baseball.  Been to many Pittsburgh Pirates games and seeing the skyline right there is awesome and when that was proposed for RVA - thought wow, how awesome.  I haven't been to the diamond / squirrels baseball game in years, except when VCU played UVA 2 years ago.  I used to go see the Braves when I was single, beers, meeting friends, etc. but now I don't go.  Baseball can be a very long game, college and minor league at least, but for some reason, pro-ball doesn't affect me that way, maybe it just means more.  At times I wished some of the college or minor league games had a time clock like most other sports, so I could do something other than sit (how many beers can, should you drink?) for 3-4 hours in an aluminum seat.  OK, the diamond concept. ...Glave & Holmes is a good architecture firm and feel they could do a good job and may still be able to pull this off with developers, etc. but don't really get the look of the concepts proposed.  The "industrial-ness" of the surrounding warehouses and the boulevard elements are missing.  The all red-brick concept, I don't see this blending in well to what's right around each corner.  It has a college campus look, which I think they do a lot lately, so perhaps that’s their tendency when conceptualizing. If the diamond has to stay – remove the entire roof to lower its significance and prominence.  Arrgh, whatever, just get rid of the whole thing and start over it’s a non-compliant ADA nightmare and code violation piece of junk and it’s only 20% less than building a new one.  The issue I’m seeing is that when looking at the rendering of what’s labeled a low overhead view, I see JMU or pick-a-college, and that may be the problem with the ball park at this location.  It will have to be right in the middle of businesses, residences, which are just incongruous to one another, unless it’s a school campus. 

I agree, including the beer quantity problem and lack of clock.  I'm not a big baseball fan at all but I've been to some pro games...its all slow for me.   Now add to it a 5-7 year old where the primary concern is buying things food snack and otherwise....It's an enjoyable event from a "time with the kid(s)" standpoint.  I take kid or kids to 1-2 squirrels games a year and have done so for the past 4-5.   I also would like a stadium situated where you can see the skyline...or the river for that matter...I also just want that darn 60 acres developed one way or another!

Being able to have music would be nice also - I assume it would be in the 10,000 (with field) capacity range which is nice for summer concerts.  With this concept, the new housing basically eliminates that.

All this said, I've lived in the Fan for 25 years so I appreciate the City life and walk-ability...with cabs/uber/bikes I don't care if its schockoe/manchester/boulevard....or if its gone for that matter... I just want the conversation put to bed and the boulevard site developed (with a Best Buy or HHGregg included).  Seems like there is a big crowd that makes it their life to fight this type of stuff...they'll find a reason, logical or not...it's about the fight.  I believe we have a disproportionate share of these people.

Shocked me that when I dug up the ODP proposal it was from 2009...

Edited by meegwell

I'm not opposed to it, but I guess I don't understand how it will really change anything? It's just a census designation, right? And there will definitely be winners and losers within this new "mega region." Which airport gets the new route destinations? Which city gets a pro sports team and how would Richmond benefit from a pro team in Va Beach or vice versa? Does anyone have a case study of other regions that implemented something like this?

The airports issue is a good question. Would Norfolk and Richmond be able to get money to expand their airports? Or would it be feasible to expand Newport News Airport, since it's roughly halfway between the two?

For sports, I know Virginia Beach is in the stages of approving a new arena deal (it heads to a vote next week). If they were to get a team, would Richmond be on board with supporting it, and vice versa? I know you guys have the Washington training camp; I imagine quite a few fans from Hampton Roads makes the trip. If nothing else, maybe the ODU-VCU rivalry gets a little more intense now?

On paper, I wonder what the region is called? Richmond-Norfolk? Richmond-Norfolk-Virginia Beach? My biggest concern, which I addressed upthread, is how spread out the "megaregion" would be. If you didn't have that stretch of 64 between Williamsburg and Richmond, it might be a little easier. At the very least, I think Hampton Roads needs to look into merging on its own.

12 hours ago, BFG said:

There's been more talk about the possibility of the Hampton Roads and Richmond markets merging to create a "megaregion". This is from a breakfast held yesterday...apparently, this idea is gaining traction.

There's both positives and negatives to this plan. It would increase mass transit between the 2 cities, however it would increase roadwork and costs with the development that would occur between RIC and Hampton/Williamsburg. As far as sports teams, I think a split would be fair between the 2 cities. That way both cities would receive economic benefits.

• 4 weeks later...