Richmond Developments

Cotuit

40 minutes ago, meegwell said:

This is so cool - if only Richmond....

"The Spiral" building at the end of the high line:

http://gizmodo.com/this-twisting-manhattan-tower-will-have-a-park-on-every-1757869567

This looks so cool! I think it would fit perfectly in Richmonds skyline if it was round and had a spire at the top.

• Like 1

http://chpn.net/news/2016/02/11/apartments-office-space-proposed-for-jefferson-avenue_48788/ 

Matt Jarreau and Daniil Kleyman, both Church Hill residents, shared preliminary plans last night for a mixed-use development in the mostly vacant triangle bound by Jefferson Avenue, M Street, and 24th Street.

The duo propose a building with 13,000 square feet of office space on the first floor, and a mix of 20 1- and 2-bedroom apartments on the upper floors. The office space would be available as private offices, and also as a shared co-working space. Some parking would be offered on the interior of the building, with street parking carrying most of the load.

The scale is akin to the development spitballed as part of theGreening America’s Capitals meetings last year on Jefferson Avenue.

As the lot is in the city-designated Union Hill Old & Historic District, any development will need to be approved by the Commission of Architectural Review. A Special Use Permit to allow the requested height due to the current zoning (UB-PE4).

Kleyman stresses that these images by Todd Dykshorn are definitely not the final renderings. Last night’s meeting was set up well in advance of going to CAR, Kleyman says, so that they could get community feedback.

unnamed-535x283.jpg

1 hour ago, varunner said:

http://chpn.net/news/2016/02/11/apartments-office-space-proposed-for-jefferson-avenue_48788/ 

Matt Jarreau and Daniil Kleyman, both Church Hill residents, shared preliminary plans last night for a mixed-use development in the mostly vacant triangle bound by Jefferson Avenue, M Street, and 24th Street.

The duo propose a building with 13,000 square feet of office space on the first floor, and a mix of 20 1- and 2-bedroom apartments on the upper floors. The office space would be available as private offices, and also as a shared co-working space. Some parking would be offered on the interior of the building, with street parking carrying most of the load.

The scale is akin to the development spitballed as part of theGreening America’s Capitals meetings last year on Jefferson Avenue.

As the lot is in the city-designated Union Hill Old & Historic District, any development will need to be approved by the Commission of Architectural Review. A Special Use Permit to allow the requested height due to the current zoning (UB-PE4).

Kleyman stresses that these images by Todd Dykshorn are definitely not the final renderings. Last night’s meeting was set up well in advance of going to CAR, Kleyman says, so that they could get community feedback.

unnamed-535x283.jpg

WOW!! This thing looks so cool and blends so well with the surrounding area!

On 2/8/2016 at 11:30 AM, meegwell said:

I believe the old lock system (or at least the skeleton of it) sits aside the steps going up to 12th the street from the under-building tunnel.  Not that it could be salvaged since I assume the canal was re-routed to where it is now but it's a cool structure to check out.

As far as that building goes, I thought I saw a rending back when the reynolds north projects were announced that did something there...they have torn a big hole in the side of it at the south-west corner just past the flood wall gate.  Its such an ugly building (imo) and really does a fine job of messing up the flow of the canal walk.  The brown ribbed metal...you see it all over the city - the coliseum, the plaza building..  

found this picture of the area I was referring to.  At this point (1/15) , there was no plan (at least in the rendering) for the other brown building that covers the canal seen in the background here.

Building5.jpg

''Plans to turn the 17th Street Farmers’ Market into an open-air pedestrian plaza won final approval from the city’s Planning Commission on Tuesday.''

Construction will begin this summer with the goal of opening in spring 2017.

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/city-of-richmond/article_f138b296-3c72-5ee6-bc20-9217b42553d0.html

• Like 2

Looks like a landing page has been created for the proposed 180-unit (although this site says 178) development at 1903 East Marshall: http://www.seacoastcommunitymanagement.com/Apartments/module/website_documents/website_document[id]/44986/

They went before the BZA on the 2nd of this month seeking a variance but the minutes have not yet been posted.

• Like 2

Today the Crunch Gym at 3600 West Broad opened. I think this new gym plus the addition of the new Aldi opening on Boulevard will help Scotts Addition become a more well rounded neighborhood.  Folks living within in Scotts Addition can now be within walking distance of a gym, grocery store, movie theatre and multiple restaurants/breweries.  I really think this is whats holding Manchester back...it really does need a grocery store (which hopefully comes at the Reynold South Development) plus a gym and more restaurants. 

A grocery store on the now vacant lot at Hull and Commerce would serve the Manchester area well. There are many higher density apartments and projects in the area that could fill the void for a local grocery store. 

Edited by keobear
  • Like 1

A pedestrian plaza there is a great idea! That immediate area on Broad is really blossoming, this can only help. Im a little surprised theres no option with the tree still there (I thought I remembered that they were going to try and incorporate it somehow?). I like the tree, but it doesnt really seem realistic that they could keep it and still make a nice usable space. I'll take this over whats there now any day. Plus I see 5 NEW trees - in a few years we'll have people willing to fight to preserve them :)

I thought there would be more room for patio seating for Max's - I guess they could fit a couple of two seaters out front (like the couple of tables out front of Saisons Market), outdoor dining adds a nice bit of life to the streetscape

• Like 1

I like this plan with two caveats:

1. They should put a historic marker that indicates the terminus (and significance) of Brook road, especially how Lafayette used it

2. I wish they could fine a place for the live oak -- they are such beautiful and enchanting trees.  I used to live in New Orleans and I wish a bit of their live oak ambiance could grow in Richmond.

While unrelated to this plan, but related to statutes/public art, I would like to see Salvador Dali's Sally Tompkins monument build -- maybe at Monument and Malvern.  A surrealist statue would be quite the statement there.

Detailed plans for the Jackson St. mixed-use development.  Note that the feared interior surface parking is actually a parking deck with courtyards and residential units above.

PDF: https://richmondva.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=4229393&GUID=7F8D4001-B555-4DC9-8589-185F09DD0230

Edited by Icetera
PDF Warning
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Icetera said:

Detailed plans for the Jackson St. mixed-use development.  Note that the feared interior surface parking is actually a parking deck with courtyards and residential units above.

PDF: https://richmondva.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=4229393&GUID=7F8D4001-B555-4DC9-8589-185F09DD0230

I really like the look of this building . Hopefully we start seeing more of these in Jackson ward

• Like 1