Richmond Developments

Cotuit

The Venture Richmond Downtown Development Forum is finally posted on YouTube now.  This meeting took place on 29 February 2016.  It is a good review of the various development projects happening in Richmond.  I always look forward to watching these every year to learn about all the new development going on.  You will need to set aside some time to watch this as it is almost 2 hours long.  Enjoy and let me know what you think.  I'm going to watch some of it now!

3 hours ago, eandslee said:

The Venture Richmond Downtown Development Forum is finally posted on YouTube now.  This meeting took place on 29 February 2016.  It is a good review of the various development projects happening in Richmond.  I always look forward to watching these every year to learn about all the new development going on.  You will need to set aside some time to watch this as it is almost 2 hours long.  Enjoy and let me know what you think.  I'm going to watch some of it now!

Thanks for posting! Skimmed through this a little bit and caught some interesting parts..

Fountainhead Properties mentioned the Locks at 321 will be a 23-story tower. They are also close to securing the 'Building 6' on the eastern portion of their property.

Historic Housing and Main Street Realty is planning TWO, 9-story towers in Scott's Addition at 1400 Roseneath.

Thalhimer's City View Landing's (Reynolds South) retail portion can support up to five(5) additional stories of residential above the retail.

The vacant lot (formerly surrounded by a chain-link fence) on the south side of Main St between 25th and 26th will become a surface parking lot for Main2323. There are also plans in the early stages to develop that parcel into a three(3) story parking garage with ground level retail/comm. space along Main.

Please feel free to add if I've missed anything new!

• Like 2

Final Phase now underway at Main Street Station - "this has the potential to change our city"

"It will enhance your transportation options with segways, scooters, zipcars and bike-share programs. The plan will also increase train traffic from six to over 32 trains per day.

GRTC’s Bus Rapid Transit system will have a stop directly in front of the station, providing connectivity to the entire transit network while also providing a shuttle service to downtown destinations." (NBC 12)

http://www.nbc12.com/story/31584652/final-phase-underway-for-main-street-station-project

http://www.nbc12.com/story/31560778/neighborhoods-continue-to-expand-in-south-richmond

"Within the next year, South Richmond will be getting another addition to one of its already evolving neighborhoods. The Shoppes at City View, by Hull and 6th Streets in Manchester, will encompass hundreds of new apartments, offices and stores." (NBC 12)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Marcus Squires said:

Final Phase now underway at Main Street Station - "this has the potential to change our city"

"It will enhance your transportation options with segways, scooters, zipcars and bike-share programs. The plan will also increase train traffic from six to over 32 trains per day.

Segways are not a transportation option.  Jeez. 

1 hour ago, Marcus Squires said:

http://www.nbc12.com/story/31560778/neighborhoods-continue-to-expand-in-south-richmond

"Within the next year, South Richmond will be getting another addition to one of its already evolving neighborhoods. The Shoppes at City View, by Hull and 6th Streets in Manchester, will encompass hundreds of new apartments, offices and stores." (NBC 12)

I really want to see South Side take off more. It seems like there is so much land that is just sitting there and costing the city money in lost tax base.

I hope Main Street station takes off as well, but I don't really expect much from it in terms of tourism.  It will make the area look nicer though, which might help some people choose to live downtown.

As much as I would love to see downtown or the Boulevard have a huge change, I think the best thing that could happen to the city is for significant inroads to be made on redeveloping Manchester. 

1 hour ago, RiverYuppy said:

I really want to see South Side take off more. It seems like there is so much land that is just sitting there and costing the city money in lost tax base.

I hope Main Street station takes off as well, but I don't really expect much from it in terms of tourism.  It will make the area look nicer though, which might help some people choose to live downtown.

As much as I would love to see downtown or the Boulevard have a huge change, I think the best thing that could happen to the city is for significant inroads to be made on redeveloping Manchester. 

Seeing downtown and other areas grow and change is great, but you're right, development in Manchester would do the most for the city. Those empty lots aren't providing any tax revenue. So, looking at whats there now and the potential for new revenue, development in Manchester will likely help bring the whole city up. 

Plus I live across the river and would like something new to look at. 

Great report!  I like hearing about what I can't see actually happening 

As far as the 3Twenty One tower, the new Suntrust Center to be built, I would imagine that construction should start on this pretty soon (within the next month or two) if it's going to be able to make the targeted Nov 2017 move-in date.  I know that it took Gateway Plaza about 1.5 years to build and with this building being a bit taller, it might take a little bit longer. As for the height of this tower, there seems to be a discrepancy...the articles that came out in January announcing the plan said that this tower will be 21 stories; however at the end of February at the Venture Richmond Downtown Development Forum, the developer actually said that this would be a 23 story tower.  I'm wondering if there have been some changes since the original announcement?  Also, JDavis (the architect) said on their Facebook page that a new rendering would be released (supposedly by about a month or so ago) and I still haven't seen anything.  Could they be making some last-minute changes?  The words from the developer's mouth and the delay in making public a new rendering leads me to believe that there is something afoot.  Just my my 2 cents, but I try to read into indicators as I see them and this one might be a good change.  Perhaps they are contemplating adding more apartments.  Don't know. 

It looks like the National Guard building on Dove St. has been demolished.  

0xqKR4y.jpgI noticed it on my bike ride today.  I haven't been on that route in months so I don't know how long it has been demolished. 

If I recall correctly, they are planning to put a school on that plot of land.  It's certainly enough land to put something large there.

Edited by RiverYuppy
  • Like 1

Anyone here anything about two 10 story buildings going up in Scott's addition known as roseneath towers. Saw a rendering of it on Facebook on Joyner fine realty Facebook page and then rva news has an article about it on there website. I can't get to it right now since I'm not on a computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Wow!  These look nice and would totally change the look of that area. I hope they get approval to build that tall there. It would be great to see taller projects around town!

I have always envisioned a proper "Midtown."  This is a good start and hopefully in time the lots along the expressway will fill in with similar projects.

6 minutes ago, hikendesign said:

Having additional, taller buildings around town is a good thing - agree.  The top of the structure, that looks like it's emerging from another style of a brick building, has a very familiar shape as seen on Broad Street - the Commonwealth of Virginia Building at 2220 West Broad Street.  Not sure how I feel about the design - would like to have seen the brick continue for the last 2 stories, hopefully this moves forward, any reason why it shouldn't? 

Ha, it does look like it took cues from the old taxation building.  Personally I like the bit of contrast on the upper levels.

Edited by Icetera
Typo

2 hours ago, Icetera said:

I have always envisioned a proper "Midtown."  This is a good start and hopefully in time the lots along the expressway will fill in with similar projects.

I always thought of the midtown district to be the VCU/Monroe Park, what with all the similar sized structures.

This project is fantastic though, density is definitely something Scott's Addition needs, it's a break from all the one story factories and lofts. Too bad the 3600 Centre will probably block the view of the twins from Broad.

Hope someone makes an announcement on that bingo hall project soon as well (7 stories IIRC)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

I always thought of the midtown district to be the VCU/Monroe Park, what with all the similar sized structures.

I feel the same but the area around Broad and I-195 has been coined "Midtown" for some time.  I would really love to see Monroe Ward and the Western edge of the Central Business District link up along the Main/Cary corridors with compatible structures to the Franklin St. stretch.  As far as "Midtown" a residential tower of compatible height to Monroe Tower apartments or the VCU dorms would fit nicely at Roseneath and Broad.  The lots next to The Preserve and across I-195 (all same property owners as 3600 Centre) would be great for 6-10 story structures.

9 hours ago, hikendesign said:

From Downtowner - here's the link from RVA News about the Scott's Addition buildings. Design is, well, there 10 stories.

http://rvanews.com/features/proposed-roseneath-towers-could-take-scotts-addition-to-new-heights/136050

This is just so that we have a rendering on this thread:

{option}http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b25/hooforce/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpeg[/IMG]

Well, crap!  I give up.  My photobucket account isn't posting photos like it's supposed to.  I don't know what's up.  Sorry fellas.  I'll try again later.

Edited by eandslee

This was great news to wake up to... I love the height and the design.  

And I can concur, the pedestrian activity throughout downtown has increased significantly.  I live near the Marriott's in the Slip and the increased activity from those two hotels alone is very telling.  With the two hotels that have opened in the CBD, I am certain that this will create a new after hours buzz.  

I had friends from NC visiting with their two small children this past weekend and they were shocked by the size of the downtown footprint.  We went to Graffiato's on Broad on Friday and were stunned by the First Friday's activity on our work from the Hilton (another testament to the liveliness of downtown RVA.  

Now, if we could just sprinkle East Grace with some national retailers... :tw_glasses:

• Like 1

On 11/29/2015 at 0:50 PM, OBXastronaut said:

Not a full walgreens, just a pharmacy. They didn't want to compete with the Marketplace next door, which is a shame; that place seems like a dump to me.

I take it you've never been in there?

It's probable one of the few decent, non-trashy corner store/independent convenience stores that has existed long before the hipster "market" concept (Harvest, Union Market, etc) took off. Sure you're not going to find your free range grass-fed organic indie-music-loving beef there but they do have a pretty bright, clean space with decently priced products, a serviceable deli (nothing compares to Nicks) and a surprisingly decent craft beer selection (mostly local stuff so probably not going to see any hard-to-find out of state beers). 

Plus, I'd imagine it's not really Walgreen's choice whether they "want to compete with the Marketplace" but they're most likely contractually prohibited from competing in their lease (as is the case in most commercial retail leases) not to mention there's no room in that building for a full-fledged Walgreens.

Honestly, that store has been there since I've been in Richmond and it (along with the apartments above it) has probably been the one thing that's kept that block from looking like the block immediately west of it. 

On 4/7/2016 at 7:49 AM, Richmonopoly said:

Now, if we could just sprinkle East Grace with some national retailers... :tw_glasses:

I used to think the same way but honestly I don't think we should necessarily aspire to bringing national retailers in. We have enough high quality, home grown businesses to occupy the area. 

National Retailers serve nothing but to attract suburbanites in which isn't bad, per se, but it shouldn't be the end goal. We should develop the city for the city. Think about the success of Carytown. It's largely been successful without those national retailers (though they are starting to pop up more and more). There's no reason we can't recreate something like that on East Cary -- in fact, it's already happening. Of course, for now (and for  the foreseeable future) it looks like that'll mostly be a restaurant stretch (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) but perhaps in the future we'll see a more diverse offering. Maybe someone like Alton Lane or Ledbury (destination stores that attract customers for hundreds of miles away) can open a shop there.