Richmond Developments

Cotuit

I actually enjoy the design. I'm a little confused about the green parts on the top but I'm sure it's just the rendering not looking, well, like real life. At least it doesn't look like that standard apartment design that seems to be going up all over the country. Like the apartments going up on first and canal. "Mixed" material facade (meaning different color plastic and vinyl) and they all seem to just jet in and out which i guess people think makes it look more interesting. Here we have a brick facade (thank god) and a pretty simple design with inviting commercial/retail space on the bottom. Balconies usually don't look great to me but it makes living there a lot nicer. 

• 2 weeks later...

While I would much rather have a building, or even a parking garage it does seem like they are open to development in the future. This might also be the reason it isn't a parking deck, if they build a parking deck then it will be one for a long time. This lot has also been empty for a very long time, at least a parking lot will serve a purpose and be landscaped to a certain extent. Still the potential for a site like that is huge, so a pretty disappointing announcement. 

2 hours ago, tparkerzut said:

While I would much rather have a building, or even a parking garage it does seem like they are open to development in the future. This might also be the reason it isn't a parking deck, if they build a parking deck then it will be one for a long time. This lot has also been empty for a very long time, at least a parking lot will serve a purpose and be landscaped to a certain extent. Still the potential for a site like that is huge, so a pretty disappointing announcement. 

yeah lets hope this is VERY temporary

On 4/29/2016 at 9:30 AM, tparkerzut said:

A parking garage lasts forever in RVA it seems...

Kanawha Plaza crew appears to be having some sort of 'oh sh!t' moment - after laying some of the crush gravel walkways, they now have torn up long trenches that run perpendicular to the highway below.  Upon closer view, it looks like they are tearing up some sort of tar-paper or rubber material and exposing the seams of the large concrete slabs supporting the park...as if they had to deal with them but didn't do it while they were excavating the dirt.

http://richmondbizsense.com/2016/05/03/n-y-architect-dips-into-jackson-ward/

Another development in Jackson Ward. I would love for all the buildings on second street to get redone, there is also one across the street from this that is becoming office and apartments. Now we need Broad between 2nd and 3rd to happen as well!

• Like 1

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/05/san-franciscos-plan-to-bury-a-freeway/476418/

Found this in the most recent Atlantic and it is something that could be applied to the I-95 bisection of the city, especially in Shockoe Bottom.  Reconnecting severed neighborhoods while camouflaging the (necessary) eyesores of modern urban life would do wonders to both the quality of life in Richmond as well as greatly improve the city's visual appeal.  Richmond was planned and built before the automobile.  Car infrastructure will always be an awkward, clumsy aspect to the city -- we should do our best to minimize its intrusions. 

Edited by Wahoo 07
Typo
  • Like 3

I would love to see the city move towards being less car-centric.  BikeWalkRVA is doing a bunch of good work to help with that.  

For environmental reasons, I would love to see RVA implement an emissions inspection.  I also hope the BRT continues to expand down Hull Street.  

I think as we begin to see more people work & live in RVA proper, we'll see a larger push for public transportation.  The trouble will be getting South Richmond to redevelop without turning it into the suburbs.

44 minutes ago, Wahoo 07 said:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/05/san-franciscos-plan-to-bury-a-freeway/476418/

Found this in the most recent Atlantic and it is something that could be applied to the I-95 bisection of the city, especially in Shockoe Bottom.  Reconnecting severed neighborhoods while camouflaging the (necessary) eyesores of modern urban life would do wonders to both the quality of life in Richmond as well as greatly improve the city's visual appeal.  Richmond was planned and built before the automobile.  Car infrastructure will always be an awkward, clumsy aspect to the city -- we should do our best to minimize its intrusions. 

This would be nice, but the cost would be astronomical.  Something, I'm sure, the local, state, or federal government thinks is not a priority.  Therefore this will probably never happen. Fun to dream though!

2 minutes ago, RiverYuppy said:

For environmental reasons, I would love to see RVA implement an emissions inspection.  I also hope the BRT continues to expand down Hull Street.  

Disagree.  Not in favor of this one.  Really, Richmond is not known for its smog (it's a non-issue here).  Besides, an emissions inspection is just another way for the local and state governments to take your hard earned money (not to mention a major inconvenience, which is what I think you are wanting, but let the markets decide this, not the government).  You can't just force people to not use their cars.  Instead, the public transportation system must be better than using a car to get people to leave their cars behind (in other words, it needs to be better than using a car, not just because it's the only option because the government forced people to do so - that doesn't make getting around any better.  There has to be an attractive, better option than using a car). 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Really, Richmond is not known for its smog (it's a non-issue here).

I'm not talking about smog.  I'm talking about some of the fumes I smell from exhausts of old cars on the street.

I see many trucks on our street that do not comply with emissions standards because of after-market tinkering.  They often change it to create more NO2 which can cause me to have an asthma attack and can be even more harmful to other people.

1 hour ago, Marcus Squires said:

Finally, glad to see they are moving forward with this. This project has been in the works for years!

I hope it's a crowd pleaser and a major draw for tourists. 

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

I'm glad that this is happening.  The Civil War is the most important event in American history and the museum that interprets it needs to be world class -- the type of attraction that graces the travel sections of foreign newspapers and wins awards.  If done properly, this will be an international tourist draw.  Richmond's Civil War history combined with the Slave Trail should be considered for UNESCO World Heritage Site status.

History, art, the outdoors, unique architecture, and a burgeoning food scene -- Richmond is finally shaking off her regional city malaise while reclaiming her status as a national caliber city.

• Like 1

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/city-of-richmond/article_ffc49950-ddf9-56c0-8993-d283b9da8958.html

As far as I know this is the final plan that they are building. I also remember a few more renders from a birds eye view but can't seem to find them. But there are definitely finished plans and that's what they are working on now.

Would be great if we could see some movement on the South Reynolds / Fountainhead towers soon as well.  Disappointingly, I saw no sign of anything going on with the Locks development while wandering the parking garage.

4 hours ago, Icetera said:

Perhaps at 8-9 stories the Allied Health Building will also have a tower crane.

Yeah I imagine it will and I'm actually super excited about this one; it's not super tall or anything, but it will be very visible to I95 which will be great to show drive throughs that Richmond is growing and building.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, drayrichmond said:

Yeah I imagine it will and I'm actually super excited about this one; it's not super tall or anything, but it will be very visible to I95 which will be great to show drive throughs that Richmond is growing and building.

It also will be very visible from I64 when entering the city. That part of the skyline isn't very impressive so this should help out alittle. 

• Like 1