Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Found this stuff on the project, don't know how this one got past us

Richmond Free Press:

http://richmondfreepress.com/news/2015/oct/20/historic-eggleston-hotel-site-get-new-life/

RTD

http://www.richmond.com/archive/article_c86b1675-0cc7-5179-95b8-9184a1d7db83.html?mode=image&photo=0

50de73cf4763c.image.jpg?resize=720%2C556

I went ahead and added to our development map

Edited by drayrichmond
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, tparkerzut said:

Where are you finding this Sahara info? Just curious what space they rented.

I just saw it on a bike ride last night.  You can see the space here.  It's at the 2c building on the corner of Clay and 2nd Street.  

MpOb6iC.jpgIt appears the front is the restaurant and back is the hookah lounge.  I believe they have rented the entire ground floor.

Also here is a picture of the construction site and an advertisement for what they seem to be building on Jackson & 1st. I don't think it will be long before there aren't any boarded up/vacant buildings on 1st and 2nd street.

aTrDPts.jpg1FYUiRK.jpg

• Like 2

Church hill redevelopment scheduled to begin next week. The old garage and parking lot owned by Josh Bilder, the parking lot has been blocked off and demo is to begin next week, the reason it took so long was because the font on the documents sent to city hall were not up to par so they had to re file and they got sent back to the bottom of the pile. That's a rooftop picture of the current garage.

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, eandslee said:

Also, a new consulting firm moving downtown and will employ up to 100 employees in about 3 years!  Slow downtown growth, but it's growth:

http://www.virginiabusiness.com/all-headlines/article/thought-logic-consulting-opens-richmond-office

Great news. I'll take any company that wants to move jobs downtown. 

• Like 1

On June 1, 2016 at 4:04 PM, eandslee said:

Also, a new consulting firm moving downtown and will employ up to 100 employees in about 3 years!  Slow downtown growth, but it's growth:

http://www.virginiabusiness.com/all-headlines/article/thought-logic-consulting-opens-richmond-office

4 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I didn't know where to put this, but we finally have a mole in one of America's premier banking cities...Charlotte!! What?!  Yep:

http://www.virginiabusiness.com/all-headlines/article/union-opens-loan-production-office-in-charlotte-n.c

Nice to see the tables turned for a change, no matter how small.

Hahaha!!! Finally Charlotte will know how we've felt all these years as they stole the Richmond banks. Hopefully Union can become a leading national bank and expand to more cities.

• Like 1

^^^Richmond has actually had a mole in Charlotte for a while.  The CEO of Park Sterling is from Richmond and once was the president of the local Wachovia unit here. Additionally some of his senior management team is from Central VA, and they moved or are moving some significant corporate operations here.  And now with the purchase of First Capital, it would not surprise me at all if the HQ migrated to Richmond over time.  

I'm surprised no one mentioned this week the proposed conversion of the building at 501 E Franklin into a boutique brand hotel. This is right across from the John Marshall and should provide a great boost to activity in that stretch of Franklin Street. I'm really excited about it. Also, lots of great images of the kabana rooftop at 700 E Main on Instagram this week. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2016 at 11:12 AM, wrldcoupe4 said:

Also, lots of great images of the kabana rooftop at 700 E Main on Instagram this week. 

I tried to go last night but there were about 50 people outside waiting to get in.  

Before Kabana opened, I wouldn't expect to see anyone walking around that area in the evening.  Now there is a line outside and tons of people walking around.  I really hope this improves demand for downtown living.

The memorial looks like it has a lot of potential, it looks like it needs to be polished up a bit and can be improved upon I think, but overall I like it. The columns are intriguing, I'd like to see more detail on those, different angles ect..

It would definitely improve the cities image from the interstate, those busted up parking lots make the city look like a dump from I95. 

13 minutes ago, hikendesign said:

Drove by the The train shed today - which is installing the glass walls and has the metal roof being installed.  Wish I had a picture, looks amazing.  If you drive east on Franklin st., Monroe building on your left with the train shed ahead of you here, you can look completely through the glass walls into the interior of the shed and out the other side. You can see the structure of the interior and buildings beyond on the other side - when completed - this is going to be very nice.  

I'll walk up that way this week and snap a few pictures, I've been meaning to do that, so just stayed tuned I'll get some posted

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, hikendesign said:

Drove by the The train shed today - which is installing the glass walls and has the metal roof being installed.  Wish I had a picture, looks amazing.  If you drive east on Franklin st., Monroe building on your left with the train shed ahead of you here, you can look completely through the glass walls into the interior of the shed and out the other side. You can see the structure of the interior and buildings beyond on the other side - when completed - this is going to be very nice.  

That sounds great, but the biggest question to be answered is, what will it be?

What I'm afraid of is that this place will sit around for another decade or two while the Richmond citizens argue over what would be best for the space. If the baseball park is any indication, Richmond citizens have will a real tough time coming to a concensus.  I just wish that there was a concrete and established goal in mind for the space. 

9 minutes ago, hikendesign said:

Hopefully not the case for this project. Only baseball can be delayed this long.  I'm remembering that some of the building was to be a welcome - visitors center, that combined with the rail system makes a lot of sense.  Is the welcome center still part of this?

I thought there was to be a welcome center there, but not sure. I had also heard that the shed would become a mix of a bunch of local shops/stores, but not sure of that either...which illustrates my point...no one really knows what will actually become of the place. There was a survey on the shed that I took a while back that solicited ideas...did anyone else fill out that survey?

Yeah, I mentioned that it needed to be a destination place...however they do that...you know, a place you tell out-of-towners they have to go to experience.  I was thinking more Las Vegas style with cool rides/simulators (I think I even mention some type of roller coaster/thrill ride) or some other out-the-box attraction. I like the "Reading Market of Philadelphia" concept as well. I'm just not sure there are enough people that would frequent it.  Maybe if it were closer to the financial district or the convention center. So, not sure if I helped out much either since my ideas were a little more radical (something that Richmond probably would not do). Yeah, I must have spent 35-45 minutes filling out that survey too. Anyone else have any cool ideas for the place?