Richmond Developments

Cotuit

1 hour ago, tparkerzut said:

I'm slightly confused on where they are talking about. There is no space between Gate 5 and Virginia street. 

Where the old Reynolds building overlaps the canal and the related surface parking fronting Virginia.  It has been part of their master plan.

Edited by Icetera

16 minutes ago, tparkerzut said:

Well I guess I was confused because there is already a building where they are proposing one of those. 

That thing is definitely getting demolished.  I imagine they are holding off due to the added difficulty of working over the canal.

On July 8, 2016 at 7:56 AM, wrldcoupe4 said:

That's a good riddle. East of the National on Broad Street there are no spots that would fit the description of 4 smaller buildings coming down. My guess is west of the National on the south side of Broad Street. There was a proposal years ago for a hotel tower etween 3rd and 4th along Broad. Perhaps the developer pivoted to apartments instead? There are some buildings on that block that are really challenged for Windows and rear alley access. That's my guess unless Douglas Development has something planned. 

This is correct.  This will be on the block of Broad between 3rd and 4th, where the Rainbow clothing store is on the corner.  The 4 buildings to be demolished are the 4 in the middle of the block (not the Rainbow store or the unit on the opposite end).  My contact indicated that they are in the process of closing on the properties now and demo will probably begin by the end of the year.  They're looking at retail on the first floor with 1-2 BR apartments on the upper floors with larger penthouse units.  It sounds like the group doing this is the same group responsible for some other recent successful downtown projects, but completion (assuming demo at year's end) is probably 1-2 years down the road from now.  Hopefully it takes off as planned.

Edit:  I think it will be 4 of the 5 buildings in this screenshot:

Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 1.37.25 PM.png

Edited by benstyree
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, benstyree said:

This is correct.  This will be on the block of Broad between 3rd and 4th, where the Rainbow clothing store is on the corner.  The 4 buildings to be demolished are the 4 in the middle of the block (not the Rainbow store or the unit on the opposite end).  My contact indicated that they are in the process of closing on the properties now and demo will probably begin by the end of the year.  They're looking at retail on the first floor with 1-2 BR apartments on the upper floors with larger penthouse units.  It sounds like the group doing this is the same group responsible for some other recent successful downtown projects, but completion (assuming demo at year's end) is probably 1-2 years down the road from now.  Hopefully it takes off as planned.

this sounds like a great development for the Broad Street Corridor, hopefully it all comes through and we'll see a rendering in the near future. 

Edited by drayrichmond

I would be very happy if this project went through. Broad Street needs to be filled in between 2/3rd street and MCV. Grace Street is really turning into a great spot but Broad is dead is this area. However a few blocks west and it great again. This would be a great project to start the development trend east. Also I'm totally fine with these buildings being demolished. They have already been ruined anyways. However I would really love to see the buildings on the north side of Broad street between first and second stay around. Some of them are in really bad shape but I would hate to see that block torn down for new buildings. Much rather them be renovated.

I wonder if they can get a special use permit to allow for no/limited parking since they will be right near the BRT and people can use nearby parking garages if they really need parking (kind of like the CNB).

I certainly hope they don't let parking ruin the walkability and urbanization that is happening on Broad.  We certainly don't need another building with a large setback and barren parking garage walls to walk past.

Agreed. While parking is necessary in today's world, if we provide every person who lives in an apartment building downtown with a parking space then we won't have any promotion for public transportation. If we could just get a decent mid sized grocery store in the downtown/Monroe Ward/Jackson Ward area (I say vacant building at 2nd and Marshall) then that area would truly be livable without a car, assuming you work in the area of course. I'm glad that retail was mentioned at ground floor also. One of the worst things about a lot of urban development right now (and for the past 60 years) is the shunning of sidewalks. Broad street needs the ground floor to remain active and pedestrian friendly and welcoming. Anyway that's my tangent for the day. 

1 hour ago, blopp1234 said:

It looks like we could see another warehouse conversion in the east end near rockets and tobacco row. 

http://richmondbizsense.com/2016/07/18/new-owner-armitage-building

Ya beat me to it, just saw the article, I've been wondering what was up with that building. This will hopefully help connect Shockoe to Rocketts. 

21 minutes ago, drayrichmond said:

Ya beat me to it, just saw the article, I've been wondering what was up with that building. This will hopefully help connect Shockoe to Rocketts. 

And speaking of Rocketts, the next phase of Rocketts Landing is getting ready to begin, more townhomes and an apartment building. The master plan is less than half-way built out.

http://richmondbizsense.com/2016/07/18/next-stage-of-rocketts-landing-preparing-for-takeoff/

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best

On 7/15/2016 at 2:33 PM, jbjust said:

I'm looking right down on them every day.  Do we know whether they're going to build the stage at the lower right corner of your photo?

They seem to be following the plan to a T.  Stage will be just right of the stacks of bricks:

plaza_plan.JPG

I should have oriented them the same way but it is the same corner.  "Stage Base" is the dark section in the plan.

plaza_plan2.jpg

So It sounds like the planning commission had a lot to discuss about tonight. Also in the article it mentions that One James River plaza could be either torn down or gutted and renovated. It says it has a height limit of 525 feet tall. It also mentions tower 2 could be a total height of 424 feet tall. I really wanna see it grow more than that to of around 500 feet or the full 525 feet tall would be amazing.

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/article_505fde42-5de1-59b2-97f3-83cd621f32b5.html

• Like 1

Hey look what was approved by the Planning Commission today -- One Shiplock.

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/article_505fde42-5de1-59b2-97f3-83cd621f32b5.html

Also, below that, the Commission granted a special use permit for the site of One James River Plaza that will grant a maximum height of 525 feet, though the article kind of blurs whether that is for one tower or between the two towers, whose current ''total height will be 424.4 feet.''

edit: lmao downtowner beat me by about 30 seconds two minutes

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Also, below that, the Commission granted a special use permit for the site of One James River Plaza that will grant a maximum height of 525 feet, though the article kind of blurs whether that is for one tower or between the two towers, whose current ''total height will be 424.4 feet.''

edit: lmao downtowner beat me by about 30 seconds

Is that 525 above sea level or 525 feet above ground level?

14 minutes ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Likely above ground. I'm kind of surprised (and dismayed) to learn that the city has height restrictions (based on what it says in the article).