Richmond Developments

Cotuit

10 minutes ago, NFKjeff said:

It looks like a Lego building and there weren't enough blocks of the same color.

Funny because that was my exact thought too!  Good thing this is preliminary...there is still time to change the exterior  

Also, there do appear to be two buildings there although the angle doesn't show it very well. 

Not a fan of the design at all. These towers should be a gateway to Manchester. However, instead of having a beautiful and iconic design, they look like a 3-4 story modern apartment building. The facade is incredibly ugly to me. As previously mentioned, it looks like they built it with Legos!!! However, it is a highrise for Manchester which is nice and it shows that developers are starting to run out of historic buildings to renovate so we could see a lot of new construction if the cities population continues to grow.

It reminds me of the building on 1st and Canal.  Every time I see it riding my bike across the Lee Bridge I think there is new construction, but it is just the design of the building.  I think it will perennially look under construction from the Lee Bridge, which perhaps is better than just looking ugly.

39 minutes ago, CitiWalker said:

I personally like it. It is a departure from the same blah brick facade.  I like that there will be something different to add contrast and to grab the attention of people on the I95 bridge heading north and south

I've gotta agree with most of what CitiWalker said here;

It's not the best design and I personally I don't think these designs look very good outside of a dense skyline (I've seen things like this in a dense area and they actually look pretty cool then), but it's different, it will add architectural diversity to our city (that's one thing I really hate about charlotte NC, very little diversity in their skyline), plus its a high-rise in manchester, can't argue with that!

Also, I think modular architecture is like brutalist architecture, people either really like it or really hate it.

• Like 2

I went to Historic Jackson Ward Association meeting last night. We got an update on the 1st and Jackson project. They were awarded the tax credits they were seeking from the city in June. They said it was a 9% tax break/credit I'm not entirely sure how those things work out. But it will evidently fund the senior living section of the building. This is a 72 unit section that will take a portion of the senior population living at the Fay Towers in Gilpin Court. The next step is to find funding for the rest of the project, which will likely come from multiple separate sources including the state and local governments and private sources. The rest of the building will consist of 112 (I think) units, of which 60 percent will be market rate and 40% will be affordable housing. The ground floor will have 600 sq ft. of retail that could be one unit or split into multiple units. While these buildings are talked about separately neither will be built without the other and it will all look like one building from the street. This means if funding is not found for the rest of the building the senior section will not be built either. 

I think this is a great project and it should be mentioned that this is one of steps being taken to empty out Gilpin court and other public housing projects so that we can forget about the terrible idea of segregated, dense public housing projects.

15 minutes ago, tparkerzut said:

I went to Historic Jackson Ward Association meeting last night. We got an update on the 1st and Jackson project. They were awarded the tax credits they were seeking from the city in June. They said it was a 9% tax break/credit I'm not entirely sure how those things work out. But it will evidently fund the senior living section of the building. This is a 72 unit section that will take a portion of the senior population living at the Fay Towers in Gilpin Court. The next step is to find funding for the rest of the project, which will likely come from multiple separate sources including the state and local governments and private sources. The rest of the building will consist of 112 (I think) units, of which 60 percent will be market rate and 40% will be affordable housing. The ground floor will have 600 sq ft. of retail that could be one unit or split into multiple units. While these buildings are talked about separately neither will be built without the other and it will all look like one building from the street. This means if funding is not found for the rest of the building the senior section will not be built either. 

I think this is a great project and it should be mentioned that this is one of steps being taken to empty out Gilpin court and other public housing projects so that we can forget about the terrible idea of segregated, dense public housing projects.

Cannot agree more, all the other development around the city is great, but we need to focus on taking care of the deplorable public housing around here. We fix that and the city will be more appealing to families and businesses; I think it's definitely worth the investment and will hopefully will spur more development. Really hope this project gets the funding it needs and moves forward.

Renovation on Main Street, right down the block from the Centennial development. Awesome to see another historic building get renovated, I really feel like we won't have anymore left to renovate in a couple years especially in the Monroe Ward area. Now we just need to see surface parking lot infill!

http://richmondbizsense.com/2016/07/21/commercial-space-apartments-eyed-for-downtown-building/

58 minutes ago, tparkerzut said:

Renovation on Main Street, right down the block from the Centennial development. Awesome to see another historic building get renovated, I really feel like we won't have anymore left to renovate in a couple years especially in the Monroe Ward area. Now we just need to see surface parking lot infill!

I know! Once developers run out of historic buildings to renovate, we will see a lot more new construction!

Yep it's pretty exciting to see, we're really running out of buildings to rehab! we're on the cusp of a lot of new construction, you can start to see it here in Shockoe, we've pretty much run out of old buildings in my neighborhood so we're seeing new construction (Canal Lofts Phase 5, Valley West Apartments, ect). I can't wait for these surface lots to start filling in, Monroe Ward has a lot of potential for new construction, it will be awesome!

I'd like to see our skyline extend west into Monroe, we're sort of starting that with the new Dominion tower, it would be cool to see the high-rises of downtown merge with the high-rises around Monroe Park; a nice wide and solid skyline

Edited by drayrichmond
  • Like 3

The forum hasn't been active in about a week so I thought I'd get the ball rolling about what and where richmonds next major tower will be once 321 and Richmond plaza begin construction. I would love to see a building be built in the cbd that is similar in size to the tower being built at 414 Light street in Baltimore. It is slated for around 400 apartments and about 12,000 square feet of retail on the ground floor. I think a tower of that size would be great on the north side of Cary street between 7th and 8th right next to dominions current building. It would be a great spot for a large signature tower! Where do y'all think downtowns next major tower will be?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

The forum hasn't been active in about a week so I thought I'd get the ball rolling about what and where richmonds next major tower will be once 321 and Richmond plaza begin construction. I would love to see a building be built in the cbd that is similar in size to the tower being built at 414 Light street in Baltimore. It is slated for around 400 apartments and about 12,000 square feet of retail on the ground floor. I think a tower of that size would be great on the north side of Cary street between 7th and 8th right next to dominions current building. It would be a great spot for a large signature tower! Where do y'all think downtowns next major tower will be?

I would like to see a signature building on the vacant lot on the SE corner of 10th and Canal. That parcel is highly visible from I-95, especially coming from the south.  It would make for a bold statement.

• Like 2

So many good spots available to choose from, I agree with both the above spots, except that the lot at 10th and canal is a little to in front of everything, but I'm not going to complain if somebody wants to put a big tower there. 

I hope that in a future signature tower we see a new corporation move to town or one from the suburbs moving downtown (I'm looking at you carmax and capital one). Apartments are a plus, but we can't build our downtown economy on just apartments, we need more jobs downtown as well to give more people a reason to move there.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, drayrichmond said:

So many good spots available to choose from, I agree with both the above spots, except that the lot at 10th and canal is a little to in front of everything, but I'm not going to complain if somebody wants to put a big tower there.

Actually, looking at the "pencil lot" in relation to James Center behind it, a tower there would actually fit right into the gap created by James Center's plaza.  It would, however, block the one slim view of the Capitol but Locks 321 is going to do that regardless.

1 hour ago, Icetera said:

Actually, looking at the "pencil lot" in relation to James Center behind it, a tower there would actually fit right into the gap created by James Center's plaza.  It would, however, block the one slim view of the Capitol but Locks 321 is going to do that regardless.

on that note, another good spot for that might be good is directly behind where the new dominion tower is going, on the block bounded by 7th and 6th street on Cary street. If they build both dominion towers it would rise up right in between them (the gap between the tower towers). And now that I think about it, with the Locks at 321 going in, it wouldn't really stick out in the pencil lot, because the locks 321 will be taller than what's around it anyway. Either works for me!

• Like 1