Richmond Developments

Cotuit

^^^ With its abhorrent design and stunted height there is absolutely nothing redeeming about this ''tower'' other than the vacant lot on which it will sit. In keeping with the historically industrial character of the neighborhood, the NIMBYs have fought a very well thought out victory as they have successfully fought off extra traffic and density.

Let's see how they ruin the bingo hall development.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

^^^ With its abhorrent design and stunted height there is absolutely nothing redeeming about this ''tower'' other than the vacant lot on which it will sit. In keeping with the historically industrial character of the neighborhood, the NIMBYs have fought a very well thought out victory as they have successfully fought off extra traffic and density.

Aesthetics aside, the revised plan has more density than the original plan (316-364 units now compared to 258 units originally). It's not about extra traffic, but about traffic flow. You have an off-ramp right there and the intersection gets backed up consistently. Routing the primary access to the parking for the project from Leigh Street instead of Clay makes a lot of sense. And this iteration of the project should better respect the relationship of the building to surrounding streets and sidewalks (including a grocery store). Originally, they were planning a fast food type concept pad site (Dunkin' Donuts was suggested) at the corner of Roseneath and Clay - drive-thru restaurant with a large parking field. Based on typical lease terms, we would have been stuck with a very suburban fast food corner for 20-30 years and a key intersection. 

Seems like the neighborhood supports developing this site (it's an eyesore currently), but offered feedback and concerns which the developer decided to take into consideration. And honestly, developers almost always propose more than what they expect to achieve. It's a dance these guys have danced many times.

• Like 1

I do like the new industrial design for "Scott's View," though I would love to see them incorporate another 4 floors set back to bring it back to the original height.  I think that is a great area to build up a small skyline (in line with 3600 Centre) plus the those added floors could start out as condos and probably sell quickly.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

I think this is an improvement over the original design. Just because the other design has height doesn't make it better. Architecturally its much better than the towers, which looked like they should have been on a suburban college campus. As someone has already said there are more apartments now, which means density has improved and gotten worse. 

• Like 1

I like the new design compared with the two old ones, wish there was some more height, even if its just a two more floors, I just don't like that it will basically be the same height as the other taller buildings in the neighborhood. I just don't want everything to be the same height, give it some variety (keep making everything the same height and eventually the neighborhood will look like one giant box). Grocery store is good news and it does look like the upped the density which is good. 

54 minutes ago, drayrichmond said:

I like the new design compared with the two old ones, wish there was some more height, even if its just a two more floors, I just don't like that it will basically be the same height as the other taller buildings in the neighborhood. I just don't want everything to be the same height, give it some variety (keep making everything the same height and eventually the neighborhood will look like one giant box). Grocery store is good news and it does look like the upped the density which is good. 

Some of the best neighborhoods around the world have consistent heights, but small variation in design.

I think the most important part is density and walkability, which has a lot to do with how they handle parking and setback. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RiverYuppy said:

Some of the best neighborhoods around the world have consistent heights, but small variation in design.

I think the most important part is density and walkability, which has a lot to do with how they handle parking and setback. 

Completely agree. Height is an after thought for me. I want developments to be good for neighborhood not the view from the building or the view of the neighborhood. Europe has very flat skylines and some of the best urban neighborhoods in the world. I love skyscrapers but don't think they are necessary or even beneficial all the time.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, drayrichmond said:

Saw that today. Really curious when something will happen with the Diamond. It's been a topic of conversation for years. Hopefully this new direction will lead to some actual development.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, evanf said:

Hello,

Discovered this while I was browsing the Baskervill website. Don't think it's been posted yet. There aren't any details on it but looks like a pretty cool adaptive reuse concept for that tunnel building between Wharf and E. Main streets.

http://www.baskervill.com/projects/concept-restaurant-brewery/

Baskervill-Concept.png

Whoa! thats a pretty big upgrade to the terminal building, hope they use something like this design. Anyone have any word on when Stone might be moving on that?

23 hours ago, drayrichmond said:

Whoa! thats a pretty big upgrade to the terminal building, hope they use something like this design. Anyone have any word on when Stone might be moving on that?

If I recall, there initial target was to start in 2017.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

First internship in my senior year at VCU was as a Community Development Intern working with Derek and Cybelle. Really great couple who have their finger on the pulse of BPB. Excited the area is finally getting the attention and attraction it deserves.

Switching gears to Carytown, it looks like Fultz and Singh Architects is working on a four-story mixed-use building at Cary and Mulberry at the current site of a thrift shop that operates there. Neat, modern design. Glad to see Cary Street continuing west across the Boulevard. This, along with the bus barn redevelopment is critical in connecting Carytown with the activity along Robinson. Would love to see the property at the NE corner of Robinson and Cary redeveloped.

?format=1000w

• Like 2