Richmond Developments

Cotuit

I didn't know this was happening, I found this RTD article on it, looks like a total gut job from the article, rooms, common spaces, pretty much everything is being renovated. The article, from 2015 said it would be ready in 2016, but the website for the new hotel says coming 2017.

http://graduaterichmond.com/

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/article_1eb21077-efab-54c4-b705-d5c558566426.html

Edited by drayrichmond
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marcus Squires said:

http://www.oregonhill.net/2016/08/28/dorm-demolition/

They are tearing down the dorms on monroe park - 

Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 1.29.35 PM.png

Awesome! So glad to see this moving forward!

1 hour ago, blopp1234 said:

Which dorms are these?

These are the Gladding Residences on Main Street at Monroe Park, here's a link on them: http://www.housing.vcu.edu/grc-project/

• Like 1

On 8/25/2016 at 5:52 PM, TBurban said:

First internship in my senior year at VCU was as a Community Development Intern working with Derek and Cybelle. Really great couple who have their finger on the pulse of BPB. Excited the area is finally getting the attention and attraction it deserves.

Switching gears to Carytown, it looks like Fultz and Singh Architects is working on a four-story mixed-use building at Cary and Mulberry at the current site of a thrift shop that operates there. Neat, modern design. Glad to see Cary Street continuing west across the Boulevard. This, along with the bus barn redevelopment is critical in connecting Carytown with the activity along Robinson. Would love to see the property at the NE corner of Robinson and Cary redeveloped.

?format=1000w

Just learned this is not happening.  The Junior League owns the Clothes Rack and isn't signed off on this. 

More pictures from the set posted earlier today from the Manchester Core 

This whole block is being redone. 

treterdgfg.jpg

etrre.jpg

er43r3.jpg

rertertrf.jpg

tretre.jpg

retert.jpg

wreereffgggg.jpg

This is the lot of the planned apartment building. 

fgererte.jpg

The former Mosque is being converted back to a church with new stain glass windows. 

fdgsdfsfsdg.jpg

They have just began clearing the lot off of hull Street next to the Banquet Place.  ( taken on bainbridge) 

fgfdgdfsgfbfgbgfbg.jpg

treter.jpg

Edited by Marcus Squires
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, lammius said:

You guys' friend blopp1234 stopped by the Norfolk forum and asked me to mock up a massing of a few of the new additions to Richmond's skyline in Google Earth.  

First, I took a look at the development map and found two projects that are likely to have a real impact on the skyline.  In the case of the Dominion Energy building, the height is known (413 feet), so I used that height for the building on the parcel on 6th Street.  I wasn't sure, based on the development map, but is the second tower supposed to be on the spot where an existing tower sits?  I assumed so, so I didn't draw the second tower, as the existing tower covers it.  

Second, I added the locks building.  The height was not stated, but at 21 floors of mixed-use, I assumed a height of 280 feet.  If its height is known to be more or less, let me know and I can change it. 

If there are any major projects I missed, or if I got the details on these two wrong, let me know.  I just need the location, height, approximate width/dimensions, and I can plop a box on the map.  

Please enjoy this look at Richmond's future!

1.  From a bridge.  See the gray, faceless boxes representing the new buildings.28728765943_76648056ae_k.jpg

2.  From another bridge!  See 'em on the left?

29271203351_ac35ae2fef_k.jpg

3.  From a highway.  The Dominion Energy building dominates this view:28728771073_d4bdcabd11_k.jpg

4.  And finally, the sexy helicopter flyover:28728769593_e12e057a9d_k.jpg

Thanks lammius! 

2 hours ago, hikendesign said:

Lidl is taking over the building where colonial downs had an off track betting parlor.  That area can use a face lift, this will go a long way to help.

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/article_88746a5b-7d55-525d-a445-f35141b07b05.html

Yay this should help bridge the gap between Richmond and Hampton which could help increase demand for alternative forms of transportation and get commuters moving from Hampton to rva. Hopefully more development follows and that corridor takes off!

Development is getting ready to start again next month at the Overlook Townhomes at the southern end of Oregon Hill. There are a total of 10 units left to be built. The first 5 to be built are the ones without garages. These are located to the West of Laurel St at Oregon Hill Parkway. See pic below. Once the first 5 are built or if pre-sales go well the next 5 (with garages) will be built that are East of Laurel St at Oregon Hill Parkway. Once complete the Overlook Townhomes will be complete with a total of 82 units.

oregon hill.jpg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, JSI said:

Development is getting ready to start again next month at the Overlook Townhomes at the southern end of Oregon Hill. There are a total of 10 units left to be built. The first 5 to be built are the ones without garages. These are located to the West of Laurel St at Oregon Hill Parkway. See pic below. Once the first 5 are built or if pre-sales go well the next 5 (with garages) will be built that are East of Laurel St at Oregon Hill Parkway. Once complete the Overlook Townhomes will be complete with a total of 82 units.

oregon hill.jpg

HA!! And to think my half-jokingly placed pin on the development map would only make fun of the obvious missing links for decades to come! I knew it would finally resolve. Thank god, those foundations are an eyesore.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

^^People are likely to complain that that's what it probably looked like when the building first opened in the 70s and just got darker over time with wear and tear haha. So next repainting scheduled for 2050s or so haha

Given the difference in air pollution now versus the 70's, I think we can make it to the 2090's. 

• Like 2