Richmond Developments

Cotuit

6 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I noticed this crane on Friday. Good to see. We should have a few more soon:

Dominion Tower - 1 - 2

SunTrust tower - 1

New General Assembly Bldg - 1

Any that I'm missing?

Hopefully a few in Manchester (2+), student dorms (1+) and the Allied Health building.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hikendesign said:

I believe this will be the one that finally makes it. Hope so, as it would be good to get this off the list and get the area growing like Scott's addition.

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/city-of-richmond/article_a9dec1d7-e1d3-53fd-bd09-b2c8381ef6f4.html

Nice to see and here's to many more! Toasting with my favorite brew.

I also saw they said it would be in similar size to both BB&T Park in Charlotte and Coca  Cola Park in Allentown PA. Both are homes to AAA teams. If we get at least a 10,000 seat stadium maybe they are trying to woo in a new AAA team one day?

11 hours ago, drayrichmond said:

So stupid question, but since the ABC facility is state owned do they pay taxes to the city or not?

The proposal is to move the ABC facility to Manchester I think, so this wouldn't change the payment or non-payment of taxes by the ABC to the city. 

13 minutes ago, RiverYuppy said:

I would like to see it in South Richmond near Phillip Morris rather than Manchester.  I want Manchester to continue it's retail and population density boom.  It would also be nice to get some jobs in South Richmond where people need them.

I don't think that many people work there and, in any case, the people who work there now will just work in the new location -- no reason to think this will result in any new job creation.  

• Like 1

I think that they easily could coincide. The articles say that VCU and the Squirrels will pay for the majority and if chesterfield and he rock join in? Then the city couldn't pay more than $10million and that would be without the counties. I think the city should try to negotiate to pay as little as possible but I would be ok with the city paying around 10-20% if the counties don't chip in. it would be a dream if the Squirrels and VCU payed 50-50 for this project but I have a feeling that's not gonna happen.

I think schools are going to continue to be an issue.

The amount of children enrolled in schools north of the river has plummeted over the past decade, despite our growth in population.  All the growth in schools has been in South Richmond near the largely hispanic neighborhoods.  So while the overall RPS student enrollment has stayed the same over the past decade, there has been a huge shift in concentration of the students from North of the river to South Richmond.

Broad Rock and Oak Grove were built to help with the rise of enrollment in South Richmond.  Those kids will eventually head to Middle and High school, so there might need to be another school in South Richmond to accommodate for them.  

Perhaps there are some schools north of the river that can be consolidated; however, the real issue is with handling the increase in population south of the river and it is hard to consolidate those schools with the ones far North.

8 hours ago, hikendesign said:

With the unknown status of the Locks 321 thought I'd revise the building chart and add a few question marks to developments proposed.  Trying to remain hopeful on these but not sure if the ones with question marks are going to happen - at least in the near future. I was downtown over the weekend and drove by Dominion site, the existing building is all but gone now, VCU's Gladding residence, the existing buildings there are gone, sites clean and ready.  

building chart_Alternate 10.25.16.jpg

I'm really disappointed to see all the question marks on that chart. Seems to me that these all should be built, but maybe new, more awesome opportunities will crop up.  Here's hoping the renaissance of Richmond's downtown gains more momentum. 

It looks like Shockoe Valley View phase 2 is almost done.  The leasing office says they expect to start renting it out in a month or two.  It will feature a rooftop deck and some other amenities.

N1nQlGV.jpg

CkI02ug.jpg

There seems to be a wooden deck and some sort of concrete structure going up on the edge of the hill.

4wuedrU.jpg

I also took these picture while eating lunch in Jefferson Park the other evening (so they're a week old).

A shot from behind the apartments.

kSfiQfa.jpg

This is also behind the apartment complex.  It appears to be the foundations for three townhomes.

awJzAvv.jpg

wVCWDOB.jpg

Also you can already see a crane from Jefferson Park!

EJlt3ze.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

This is going to be pretty great for the area, the current structure is pretty ugly/worn out. It will be great to see it transformed into something new and representative of the changing city, especially with it's presence along I95. Most people driving through on 95 get to look at old worn down industrial buildings for the most part, but we're slowly making improvements along the corridor, the nicer we look to the drive throughs the greater chance there is of them stopping in, visiting, moving here, etc..

We're going from this..

Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 10.50.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 10.49.21 AM.png

To this...

Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 10.49.54 AM.png

Big improvement!

33 minutes ago, RiverYuppy said:

It looks like Michael & Son's are renovating the old Wyeth Tower to be dorms for their company's trade school.

A little disappointed they're not changing the facade, but it's a good use for the building

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bon Secours is considering canceling the Westhampton renovation for a nursing school and leveling the structure for medical office buildings (as previously planned back in 2008) while moving the school to Memorial Regional campus (Mechanicsville):
http://www.richmond.com/business/local/article_53a6639e-95cd-5385-9b51-6d057ff62657.html#.WFHOrrA7yy0.facebook

Previous plans in August:
http://richmondbizsense.com/2016/08/12/bon-secours-unveils-plans-for-westhampton-campus/

• Like 1