Richmond Developments

Cotuit

• 3 weeks later...

Construction has begun on CIRC at Grace and Lombardy near Stuart Circle:

https://www.richmond.com/business/local/construction-underway-for--unit-apartment-building-at-grace-and/article_f3186e62-0d09-5657-a599-b1697ea1ad2c.html

Any sign of a tower crane?  Not sure there will be one, but there just might!

• Like 4

On 10/15/2018 at 7:42 AM, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2018/10/15/city-turns-zoning-focus-monroe-wards-dearth-surface-parking-lots/

AHA

Zoning changes in planning for Monroe Ward specifically to 'focus on [its] dearth of surface parking lots'

actually now that i think about it 'dearth' is a strange word to use in this context. They probably meant 'overabundance'?

Anyway, most of the current zoning will change to TOD-1 (same zoning as Scott's Addition along Broad/near Boulevard that was approved last year).

Will allow for taller building heights and  greater density. The article also acknowledges the Pulse and immense development activity in VCU and downtown as a driving force behind this change

Yes, this is great news. This, along with Scott's Addition and the recent south side rezoning, is really updated the zoning in the city. I hope they continue to push forward with rezoning to shape the appropriateness of development within the city. 

It's funny, I just started the Urban and Regional Planning Masters program at VCU and we are covering a lot of zoning stuff right now. Richmond just happens to be doing a lot of rezoning and is creating a great real world topic for my classes.

• Like 3

Looks like work is starting on the conversion of the old seed wholesaler on Oliver Hill way.  They are clearing the lot (pretty far south for what I assume is parking but I don’t remember the details, new construction hopefully) and installing a silt fence around the perimeter.  

I like how this has the potential to drive development north of 18th. 

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

Am I being too wishful to think it should be a tower there?

Nope!  That was my first thought after I found out where it was to be located.  Low rises are going to give the area a suburban feel IMO.  Why do developers do this?  Money, I guess, but I’m not sure their plan will fit with the character of the area. It’ll be good to have more people there though!

Honestly, I’m waiting for WVS to build their 16 story residential towers on the banks of the south canal area of Manchester.  

I’m having a hard time visualizing this one. 

The height is OK with me if the development is urban in nature.  5, 4 and 3 floors built to the street with no grass around any of it would be great (think Arts District scale).  I suspect this will be more like the development in other parts of Manchester/Blackwell which is nice enough but isn’t really moving the needle towards a great neighborhood. 

I hate the garages.  Those need to be scrapped from the plan. I do like that the block will be subdivided (continuing the existing streets) but so help me God if they don’t put in proper streets but  make it more like  driveways,  I’ll burn it down.   I hate this detail so much over at the old  trolley barns on Cary Street.  

I do like the looks of the Forest Hill proposal. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eandslee said:

Nope!  That was my first thought after I found out where it was to be located.  Low rises are going to give the area a suburban feel IMO.  Why do developers do this?  Money, I guess, but I’m not sure their plan will fit with the character of the area. It’ll be good to have more people there though!

Honestly, I’m waiting for WVS to build their 16 story residential towers on the banks of the south canal area of Manchester.  

The problem with a high rise here is it would be one building surrounded by nothing, which would probably end up being surface parking. I'm totally fine with no high rise in this location and think 3-5 stories would fit in better. However I don't have high hopes that it will look good. As mentioned earlier it needs to be built to the street and not be inward focused. We'll see, more people is better though!

Are there renderings or site plans? Because I'm having a hard time visualizing this as well and can't really form an opinion like yall without seeing something. Anything.

Also, quick poll, should I add that Belmont golf course development to the proposed section on the development map. Contemplating it but because it's only a proposal financials are unknown, they're contemplating issuing of bonds, like the whole coliseum development (as of right now according to the Citizen article), but didn't want to add it just yet until it becomes more concrete

Let me know

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best

50 minutes ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Are there renderings or site plans? Because I'm having a hard time visualizing this as well and can't really form an opinion like yall without seeing something. Anything.

Also, quick poll, should I add that Belmont golf course development to the proposed section on the development map. Contemplating it but because it's only a proposal financials are unknown, they're contemplating issuing of bonds, like the whole coliseum development (as of right now according to the Citizen article), but didn't want to add it just yet until it becomes more concrete

Let me know

I agree with you...I say we hold off until there’s something a little more concrete. They are really still exploring where it will go.  I have a feeling that if they try to put it at the golf course there’s going to be a lot of push back.  One of the other proposals had a great location (just south of I-295 at the I-95 junction) - I thought that would be a super location for this sort of thing. I believe that is Godwin’s property.  That is such a prime piece of land. I’m surprised no one has snatched that one up yet!!

Nothing new in article on ballpark really - just that squirrels trust the process and they are hearing all the right things behind the scenes.   Sounds like they are putting together all of the plans and they will be ready to jump on going right to construction once the ABC warehouse moves.  VCU doesn't mess around.

• Like 1

https://richmondbizsense.com/2018/10/29/cohousing-condo-project-break-ground-manchester/

A 'cohousing' condo project for empty lot on Porter St in Manchester. 4 stories, 19 units. Ugly as hell, but still, density and infill are again thumbs up. Another one for the map.

901-2018-09-24-View-1-Cohousing-600x372.

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1