Richmond Developments

Cotuit

14 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

The one that powers downtown Richmond :tw_grin:

It doesn't power downtown Richmond, it steps down the power from 150 kV or whatever down to the voltage that street-level transformers can manage.  I say "screw that!" we can take the full strength, baby.  

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, jbjust said:

It doesn't power downtown Richmond, it steps down the power from 150 kV or whatever down to the voltage that street-level transformers can manage.  I say "screw that!" we can take the full strength, baby.  

Most of it may have been for Reynolds so it may actually be underutilized now.

On 10/21/2019 at 7:29 AM, rjp212 said:

They announced finally the update on the Peach St lot. 

Shiplock Views.  180 units with 5 stories on Main St and 9 towards the river.  

https://richmondbizsense.com/2019/10/21/site-work-starts-on-shiplock-views-apartment-project-near-libby-hill/

5C768883-4B0E-4A93-882B-2E45CE7C1A6D.png

This one is certainly generating a lot of chat on BizSense.  People seem to expect an amazing design, but after developers have had to go through several reiterations to please the Hill, I do not know how much design funds they expect to have left for a statement piece.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2019 at 3:23 PM, Hike said:

Watching the city grow over the last number of years,  I have to say how thankful I am to VCU, both academic and medical campuses and the fact that we're the state capital,  without these, a different story.  

Yep. Without these, we are a Lynchburg or a Roanoke.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hike said:

We're also in a good position compared these areas due to the proximity to I-95 and not too far from the coast and major population areas North & South,  a lot of good things line up to make it work here.

Was just about to say this.  Also the history of shipping and the major rail intersections.  Our geographical location is probably the most defining, hence the location of all the others.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hike said:

Did anyone else see this from bizsense - Carvana vending is looking to the corner of Westwood Avenue & N. Hamilton now after the short pump location fell through.  This should go this time,  a decent location, nice visibility,  may be one more distraction causing a wreck on 195 that seems to always have a crash on the sweeping curve  section. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2019/11/06/carvana-car-vending-machine-tower-eyed-for-westwood-ave/

From my experience with buying cars, this seems like a crazy idea,  perhaps I'm missing an experience, but my memory is that car buying is not that much fun. I'm trying to get the best deal, can getting a car from a slot machine be the best deal, I may not be who they're marketing to.  I look at it and say, how high do you have to be to go to a dealer to put an over sized coin in a slot like machine to get a car?

CarvanaTower1.jpg

The facility is really just for the few people that may decide to pick up rather than have the car delivered.  The tower itself seems to be more of a fancy billboard than anything but I certainly welcome it.

• Like 1

At first read, I was against the project, because they are extremely tacky looking and would take away from any meaningful redevelopment in the area.  However, given the no-man's land location between the railyard and 195, I think this is the probably the best location for it.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Icetera said:

The facility is really just for the few people that may decide to pick up rather than have the car delivered.  The tower itself seems to be more of a fancy billboard than anything but I certainly welcome it.

Agree. It's gimmicky but it's definitely an eye catcher and, as you said, makes for a great billboard. Couple of weeks ago we were returning from Winston Salem and passed by the one just off I-40 in Greensboro at night. Impressive and glitzy, especially at night. A lot of places you'd definitely NOT want one, but in the right place it's not too bad.

66149542_748888095528182_827215854590241

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some pretty good news coming out of my neck of the woods. 

A developer with a good track record in our area recently acquired an abandoned theater on the boulevard.  

A new Kombucha brewery is opening up and a former gas station is to be converted into an art gallery.

Interest in the corridor seems to be accelerating.  

I think the revitalizing of Northside will be a huge win for RVA.

• Like 4